FMA is called FMA because...

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Em-em, Sep 15, 2003.

1. krys

krys Valued Member

I would not say that; some older styles do, many modern styles also (but is it really filipino Dumog or jj-Judo-wrestling mix?) but
    ..... Dumog is traditionaly practiced separately from Arnis......
    You don't need to know Arnis to practice Dumog....

Here are some counterexamples:

Some of my friends are Kalingas-Ifugaos practicing Dumog and they never learned Arnis....

Dumog is not practiced in the muslim filipino areas and there are many "escrima" systems there....

One of my former silat classmate is a WEDO Arnis master -Dumog-Sikaran champion from Panay, and he teaches Dumog separately.....

There is no Dumog in the traditional Arnis styles I study..... and the older arnisadors (friends of my Master and GM) I use to talk with never learned Dumog.....

It is a misconception to think that all Arnis styles have all forms of empty hands (Dumog, "Panantukan", Sikaran....)....

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  2. saikyou

saikyou New Member

the dumog that i know doesnt use any weapons. it uses holds and throws

3. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Uhhh, what's Dumog? How is it different from Escrima/ Arnis?

What FMAs were adopted from our Muslim counterparts?

I understand that Arnis isn't only about sticks, it also utilizes swords. Can anybody please elaborate this...

4. saikyou

saikyou New Member

this is written by Leo Gaje Jr.

The Dumog techniques are similar to Menang kabaw. As a matter of fact, the word Kabaw is an Ilonggo term, meaning Carabao or in short Kabaw. There are interrelated techniques in each art that speaks the continuity of the art with relationship to the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Madagascar. There is much deeper history in the next issue.

Pangamut (Hands/Interlocking/Counterlocking)
    Hubad-hubad Pasugat - Counter Release, Release and Recounter

Uyat sa Li-og (Neckhold)

Neckhold can be done either by left had or right hand. This motion is executed when there is an opening by the opponent during the positioning either as a bait or actual opening entry.

Uyat sa Abaga (Shoulder hold)

Shoulder hold from neck hold, the hand slides to the shoulder area in preparation to insert the hand over the back and down to the armpit.

Dungan/Kapot sa Li-og (Hold together)

Both hands are placed over the neck area and both hands are brought to one shoulder for controlling the balance.

Singa Sag-ang (Snapping the chin)

Either the right hand or left hand holds the chin in rapid motion applied as a snapping motion in order to out-balance the opponent.

Tulod sa Dug-han (Pushing the chest)

Both hands slide down to the chest from the neck or shoulder area, then with sudden motion apply the rugged push to the chest with continuous dragging motion until the opponent is brought to the corner or section so that he cannot move.

Uyat sa Butkon (Hold the forearm)

To hold the forearm with right or left hand in preparation for arm leverage throw.

Uyat sa Bati-is (Grabbing the lower leg)

This is applied in case the opponent is off-time, the timing must be precise during the time of execution. This is the most difficult part during the Dumog.

5. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Saikyou -- I can see that most of the words used are either Bisaya/Ilonggo(Philippine languages apart from Tagalog) or something like it. So is this from Iloilo?

Juramentado -- what do you mean by the "depth of FMA's technical foundation"? I thought you said it is more on the basics.

6. krys

krys Valued Member

Em-em,

Dumog is the filipino form of wrestling....

Filipino Muslims practice many different martial arts: Escrima, judo combat, around one hundred styles silat, many styles of kuntao ....

There are two forms of muslim Kuntao: one like silat, the other a kind of very hard external kung fu (introduced by some chinese traders in the 15 century and+).

Actually filipino muslims down south didn't call their weapon arts Escrima, Arnis, or Kali....

My Basilan blade art is called "to use the bolo", but it is easier to say escrima than to use the local dialect so we adopted the word escrima recently...

Usually muslim filipino are very secretive and it is extremely difficult to learn the arts from them..... it took one of my Sama friends five years to admit that he practices Kuntao for over 35 years.....
    Inside one clan you can have a silat grandmaster and only two or three members of the family will know it....

By the way if you are from Bukidnon did you hear of the martial arts practiced by the Lumads?

All the best,

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  7. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Speaking from my experience in Pekiti-Tirsia, there's lots more to FMA sticks. We also study knife techniques, empty hand striking and grappling (dumog). It's very much a complete system. The weapons movements are the basic foundation and just about everything I've studied stems from that.

Krys obvious has quite a bit more exposure to others style than me. :) As far as Pekiti-Tirsia is concerned, dumog is part of the system. I've seen some modern arnis demos with dumog being performed but I'm not entirely sure how much of it is being taught in that style.

8. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Good question. Nope, never heard.

Actually, I know that they do fight but I thought there was no formal system.

I used to see them integrate mock fights with their dancing during Kaamulan with their spears and shields. I believe they also used various weapons like the bow and arrow, a sword, and they put poison on the tips of their weapons. Is that what you're talking about? So what's it called? Please tell me more about this.

I used to study and perform their dances and chants even though I'm a lowlander. It was integrated in our PE class or it was specially taught to those who are going to represent the school during a Seminar/Congress/etc.

So it's not right to say that FMA is mostly practiced by foreigners?
    Can I conclude that most of it are closely guarded secrets that's why we thought it was not popular?

Note:
    Lumad -- an ethnic tribe residing in Central Mindanao (Southern Philippines)

Bukidnon -- a province in Central Mindanao

Kaamulan -- a annual gathering of the seven tribes in Bukidnon

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  9. krys

krys Valued Member

I am not really familiar with the Lumads but a Tausug once told me of a tribe of Mindanao where martial arts were practiced could be the Bagobos or Manuvus but I am not really sure...

If the Bukidnons practice martial arts chances are they are hiding it.... but it could also be that they lost them... gun culture, foreign martial arts.....

I think quite a few filipino mountain tribes practiced martial arts, I myself once saw two Mangyan barangay tanods practicing locking in Mindoro, when they saw me watching them they stoped, and somebody else observed other mangyans practicing knive fighting.......

In Bicol lives the tribe of the Cimarrones... they had a well developped martial art (with good empty hands), i heard that one of their martial art master still lives as an ermit there ( he stoped teaching and is only practicing hilot), but the art is nearly extinct....

Unfortunately I would say fmas today are mostly practiced-promoted by foreigners...

My teachers told me
    that many fmas were only taught in secret in the clan-tribe or to a few selected individuals.... The arts were never taught to large groups......

The masters never wanted to have large groups of students, just enough to preserve the arts, often the less the better.....

Traditional Arnis training is hard, and boring at the begining, the master usually wants to test the motivation-morality of the student before going deep into the art...
    (I really wanted to run away after my first lesson of traditional Arnis ;) ).
    To learn filipino silat or filipino muslim martial arts is even more difficult as masters are usually hiding......

Today few peoples won't take this kind of training, besides many old GMs didn't see the need to advertise... many filipinos have also other concerns than learning martial arts given the economic situation...
    These are reasons explaining why traditional fmas are disapearing.....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  10. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

It's disappearing because people doesn't know about it, but maybe we're led to believe that way... What do you guys thnk?

11. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I don't know but but according to some of my resources(websites) Dumog can be found mostly in the Southern part of Negros Island and in the island of Panay in the province of Antique. This can be found in small barrios mostly farmers where Dumog became a past time, an entertainment and a form of survival.

12. krys

krys Valued Member

Dumog (filipino wrestling) is found among many tribes of the Philippines islands....

It is practiced by Ifugaos twho use it to settle disputes, the Mangyans of Mindoro also practice it but won't usually show it to outsiders....

Actually there are different styles of Dumog, then you have competition Dumog, self defense Dumog.....

I used to fight a few times with a Dumuguero in QC (competition Dumog), the goal was to bring the opponents back to the ground.....

13. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Uhh, is Silat and Arnis the same art with a different name?

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No

Eskrima, Kali and Arnis are basically the same, and there ARE some southern styles in the PI that use the term Silat - but in general Silat refers to the Indonesian arts.

15. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

PI? Phiippine Islands?

16. YODA

PI = Philippines - yes

17. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Is it in favor of Islam? There are a lot of Muslims in the south and Indonesia is a major Islamic nation.

18. YODA

Yes - many Indonesian style are interwoven with their religion.

19. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

What's the difference between Arnis and Silat, besides its religious background?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  20. krys

krys Valued Member

There are around one hundred silat styles in the southern Philippines..... Just hidden from the public............

Silat is not an all Indonesian art., you can find it in whole south east asia...... we have nothing to envy to Indonesian silat!
    Many silat systems have been watered down in some countries to attract students or for public image....
    This is not the case in the southern Philippines, there is still heavy fighting going on....
    Our arts have been kept pure and deadly, they are not commercial or advertised.....
    If you learn filipino silat you'll learn traditional arts that really works......

Actually many filippino muslims think that escrima comes from Silat.....

Most silat syles are linked to Islam, but you don't need to be muslim to learn it....

There are also muslim Arnis styles (I learn one, completely different footwork).....

Usually in Silat you think that weapons are extensions of the hands...... in Arnis you have the opposite....
    Actually in SIlat you start by learning empty hands, weapons are introduced a few years later.....

Be carefull of these so called Kali-Silat syles in the Philippines. The term Kali was never used by filipino muslims....., it cannot be original filipino arts....
    Some peoples just went to Indonesia, learned some silat and mixed it up with northern Arnis....

All the best, if you have some questions on southern arts just ask...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003