FMA in Davao city

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by AK-47, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

More like..."You are always a witch!" :D :D :D

This just goes to show how language can become distorted in translations. :woo:

2. dhay

dhay Valued Member

BLEEP! BLEEP! WARNING! You have gone off topic!!! BLEEP!!! :woo: :woo: :woo:

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

*STOMP! STOMP! SUMO STANCE* Maybe you should be called the 'DUMP TRUCK!' :D :D :D

4. dhay

dhay Valued Member

I'm too... skinny... to be a dump truck.... maybe... you.... uhm..... :topic:

hehehhe

:Angel:

5. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

When I studied Taekwon-Do they also include the Korean terms ,this will remind also to the FMA practitioner to do the same. :Alien:

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I have studied this subject and others of the same ilk that cause's social intercourse or not. Sociology and physicology and all the ology's actually. It is not a judgement it is an observation of cultures that want to remain tribal.

The first rule of asocial behavior is to talk in a different tongue and eat foods others are not allowed, or vice a versa, it sets you apart.

Judgement is for only the ones judging, I like the word observation and honesty. So what do the words Peter used, really mean. We have different opinions all ready. Obviously someone is not being honest. Plus it is right on the heels of your request, to refrain...Hmmm :(

Gary

7. dhay

dhay Valued Member

bruha = witch
    ka = you
    talaga = really

put those together. but that's said in a 'sweet', jokingly way. aka, we call it 'Cariño Brutal'.

Cariño = charisma or showing of care
    brutal = well... brutal... hehe...

there. happy? :)

btw, it doesn't necessarily mean that when i speak a dialect that another person doesn't understand, i'm deliberately trying to put that other person out of place (OP). sometimes you just forget when you're in front of another dialect-speaker and just talk like normal. aka. slip of the tongue.

recently, my instructor has been trying to incorporate Cebuano (a local dialect of people from Cebu) into our classes, for our non-Filipino students to learn. he's started with the counting system (which is quite easy as its in spanish.. aka uno dos tres cuatro, etc) and some basic terms (patuyok=twirling, bunal=strike, sayop=wrong/crap (hehe), hagbong-saka (to drop/fall and to rise, and more). all because these are part of the traditional ways of how the system was taught to him.

in learning a martial art, you do not only learn the techniques, but to be a TRUE martial artist of that kind, you have to try to integrate yourself to the culture, tradition, language, etc etc to actually get a feel of what the art is really about and how it came to be what it is now.

commiting yourself to a martial art, is like commiting yourself to a marriage. it is a life long commitment. it becomes a religion. you eat sleep breath dream crap (hehe) sing dance believe and will die for your chosen art.

thats IMO

Luv
    dhay

Luv
    dhay

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Dhay,
    If what you say is true, why have you switched horses in the middle of a river.

That is a saying from cowboy time's and is a very good one to keep in mind, "dangerous" usually the rivers were swollen when taking cattle by land (early spring and all) moving them to another location. Crossing streams (now rivers and rushing), cattle rustlers were the ones who paid the price more than a bonafide (rustlers, did not care how many they lost [cattle] they werent theirs in the first place) was one of the biggies and stampedes, (cattle going to other locations) mindless I might add. To build up a business and then have it rustled or taken away by others is not good.

Another reference to the grass looks greener and all that. But then other times it is cultural (tribes and we all know about that and the Philippines???) and the game even gets dicer (one of the reasons the spanish could over power the groups, pit one against the other give them some trinkets and better steel swords, and knives, some blankets to cut up and wear, and alcohol... Hmmmm we are talking the Philippines and not the American frontier right)???? As we look back at history, we see what is coming up. Some mention anyway.

Today is an interesting time for the ones that always look for the green. But as you can see by my reference's it is old, like me and been around and seen it time and time again.
    You mention commitment. I think that is a nice term, some use it and mean it, while others are just very good at words.

Gary

9. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Hi Kapatid(brother) , This a good stuff for communicating each other ,we study FMA and if we sometimes we use some terms (just ask what is it) Gat Kalislash :) :)

10. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Dude... for some people who are multilingual (eg i speak tagalog, cebuano, ilonggo, english and german - can understand some spanish too), these 'changing horses in the middle of the river' thingies come naturally. And even if I do 'fall' in the middle of the river... I can swim. There are just some things which can you acquire, learn and (almost) master over time.

If some people do not get or understand something we're talking about here, is it so difficult to just ASK? It's similar to learning martial arts. The instructor will keep on feeding you techniques... but most instructors are selfish to share the details... you have to ask or to really observe closely to get these details. Most of these instructors prefer it if their students ask.

So... again, if there's something unclear or ununderstandable... just A-S-K. In my case, I'd be happy to clarify things.

11. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Hi Dhay, Keep it up that is a real FMA practitioner <Please post in English, or explain what you're saying. Thanks. -Stuart>

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I belong to that one too. Makes it very quick to cruise through that site, given that I can't make heads or tails (yet) of about 40 percent of the posts. :)

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Gary, I appreciate your concern. And I agree that a shared language is part of preserving a sense of identity and belonging. But it's not enough to warrant a claim that individual members of the forum are trying to exclude the rest of us. There's behavior and there's motive. We're addressing the behavior. Not trying to guess at the motive.

And, for whatever it's worth, I've studied psychology (including social psychology) myself. So have other members of this board. Worry not. You're not the only "ologist" here.

I would, however, agree with you that there's been a surprising amount of vocabulary dropped in this thread after my reminder regarding the MAP terms of service. So, again, I would ask that we stick to English barring one of two exceptions:

1) Relevant terms. By all means use the proper cultural terms for various weapons, techniques, and anything else relevant to FMA practice. I see it as part of our role as a forum to provide an education to newcomers on the arts of the Philippines. And (whether any one of us chooses to use those terms in our individual practice or not) that includes the vocabulary.

2) Phrases explained in full afterward. I don't know about the bigger MAP community. But personally, I'm all in favour of this forum serving as a vehicle for educating interested parties on Filipino culture. With a full explanation, it's an education. Without it, it's exclusion. So by all means, take pride in your culture. Just let the rest of us in, if you don't mind.

And many thanks to dhay for providing that information thus far.

Stuart

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Gary, like dhay, I'm unclear on what you're actually asking here. If you're questioning something about her decisionmaking, however, I encourage you to do it in PM. I see no reason to have someone's decisions called out in public.

Stuart

15. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

Hi Dhay!

I could PM you the name of the instructor and his contact number if you are interested.

There are also good instructors in not so far places in Mindanao (ie Koronadal, S. Cotabato) which if i am not mistaken is about 3-5 hours travel via land.

Good luck!

16. dhay

dhay Valued Member

MataPula... Oh please do! I'd love to pay them a visit the next time I go home! Thank you!!!

(As with the horsies crossing the river analogy... wasn't that about switching languages?...... decision making? slips of the tongue don't come with decision making. lol...)

Luv
    dhay

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No idea what it was about, honestly. That's why I thought your "just ask" suggestion was so apt. EDIT: I guess you're right there. Slips of the tongue aren't conscious decisions.

Kind readers: Please substitute the more applicable term of your choosing for "decisionmaking." Thank you. :D

Stuart

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  18. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    If you are as quick with the stick as you are with your wit, you are surly pretty handy. :D

19. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

Originally Posted by dhay
    MataPula... Oh please do! I'd love to pay them a visit the next time I go home! Thank you!!!

(As with the horsies crossing the river analogy... wasn't that about switching languages?...... decision making? slips of the tongue don't come with decision making. lol...)

Luv
    dhay

Sure, I could even give you free training courtesy of myself :p

20. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI New Member

Is there any way to ignore a certain user on this site? I mean as in having his posts disappear completely from my view, not just me having to scroll past them?