FMA in Davao city

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by AK-47, Nov 7, 2006.

1. AK-47

AK-47 New Member

I am looking for FMA in Davao city as I travel regularly there. Any Gm or good organisation in this city? I also wonder if there is also good CMA available for non chinese in that place.

2. Spunjer

Spunjer Valued Member

look for nols del rosario. second gen under ybanez. LESKAS. last time i was there, his class was at the YMCA. good luck...

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

4. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Yep go to the the YMCA/Jaycees Gym near the Venue. People from LSAI/Mandirigmang Kaliradman (I think website is www.kaliradman.org). Look for Macky or Paolo Solana (kung wala sila, good luck! hehehe). Maybe Grace Leyba has started training there too. (Paolo told me that she's going back). Tell them Diana (gwafah) sent you. hehehehe

Lots of Love
    indhay

:Angel:

5. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI New Member

Heh, I was going to ask that question later this year too. Since I'm headed back there early next year (haven't been back in 15+ years). Would be nice to play with the locals while I'm there.

p.s. Kumusta na man ka dhay?

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  6. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Scorpio... cool... they look like a good bunch... I haven't met the whole group, I just know two of them. I'm pushing my baby cuzins to go to the gym too. Dunno if they've gone, have to ask em. You can lookup on youtube some videos of the Davao group (Mandirigmang Kaliradman, that's their group's name). They've got a couple of demos and performances there. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Luv
    dhay

ps. maayo ra. gwapa gihapon. hehe

7. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

Hi AK

If you are looking for an alternative, there is also the Doble Olisi Eskrima in Davao City. Good luck and I do hope that you find a good teacher.

8. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Hi MataPula

Really? Do you know where and who's teaching?

Have you heard of that Ilonggo guy who's teaching somewhere in Matina Aplaya? My mom said there's one there, but that he sometimes doesnt turn up to class. lol

Ayo ayo!
    dhay

9. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Hi Dhay, Maadyong udto ? :) may i ask you if there other teaching Kali or Eskrima in Davao . MADAYAO KALADYAW

10. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Hey kalislash... scroll up. I only know the LESKAS/LSA people (Kaliradman Mandirigma) and the one MataPula mentioned, Doble Olisi Eskrima (which I know nothing about).

I know where you can find the LESKAS/LSA people (LSA = Lightning Scientific Arnis) and I've already mentioned this above too.

Go search youtube on the Kaliradman guys. One of their guys (Macky) just told me last night that they've put up new video clips. :)

Contact details for the LESKAS/LSA people are on their website. And sorry, I have no idea how you can contact the Doble Olisi Eskrima people.

Sorry, this is all the info I know.

Madayaw!!
    dhay

11. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Hi Dhay, I heard many old eskrimadores in Davao but thanks for the information.... unsa man ang KALIRADMAN I know only Kalilangan. MADAYAW KALADYAW

12. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Hi Kalislash

I don't think I'm the best person to explain Kaliradman to you. As far as I am concerned, Kaliradmang Mandirigma is the name of the Davao chapter of LESKAS/LSAI.

I have no idea if there are any old masters in Davao, or even Mindanao. There should be tons of them. They're just unheard of. I think you should watch out for the upcoming Kadayawan and hunt them down. hehehe

Luv
    indhay

13. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Cinojas Family

I am reliably informed that the Cinojas Family have one of the best (!!, yes I know they all are ;-) ) system. I may be able to get contact info if you are interested in the system.

Bill

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey guys,

Gentle reminder that MAP is an English-speaking forum. Obviously, everyone here has an affinity for Filipino culture. But those of us who don't understand the language(s) are at risk of feeling left out.

Thanks.

Stuart

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

That is the point of why they do it IMHO.

The same thing happens in a dojo and they say it is for a learning experience but that is a cop out IMHO.

It goes back to the tribal thing. It is control and it is part of the reason so many feel it is not worthy of learning. Go to a location of racial tension (Philippines or any country that does not have a good constitution that is enforced) you will see there are no rights of the minority. Why so many leave and come to countries who have rights for all the people.

When in Rome do as the romans do, was an old saying but now for our more political correct society it will be the downfall of the majority and the rise of the minority. A feeble attempt at placing yourselfs above others is my thought.

I have thought that for years and one of the big turn offs of trying to learn the art (any of them japanese, okinawan etc) in the first place. But when you are able to get it in english and relate, it is much better.

I see where in a book about Ernesto Presas art of "Kombatan" they now want you to use the term pommel for the the butt end of the stick...Funny really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilt

So when you read that it starts you thinking what else has been skewed???They are relating it to the stick, fine if you want to use the term in sword talk but not stick talk. IMHO...

:google:

When in mixed groups it is considered "rude" by the group not to speak in the language all know, and if done (native) it is usually polite to explain why.

This has been a big turn off for many at this particular site I have been informed in e-mail...

My thoughts anyway. Not asked for, but given with honesty.

Gary

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Let's not go overboard Gary. I see no evidence of an ill-willed attempt to be exclusionary. And it wouldn't be responsible to insinuate any such thing based on the occassional smattering of Tagalog or Bisayan.

Personally, I'm all for the inclusion of Filipino language terms. I don't expect anyone here to substitute "eskrima stick" for "olisi" anymore than I'd expect the weapons forum to substitute "samurai sword" for "katana."

That said, MAP's policy pertains to the actual act of communication (e.g., sentences and phrases) in a language foreign to the majority of posters.

Again, there's no ill will there in my opinion. It's simply a case of Filipino posters to this forum being rightfully proud of their cultural contribution and wanting to connect with other Filipino posters here. MAP's policy pertains to accessibility for all. That's all.

Please, let's not assign judgments without having proper cause. Thanks.

Stuart

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

exclude non-english speakers?

in fma?

here?

NEVER!!!

we do that on another forum :D

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  18. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Sorry about that. I guess it just happens when one gets excited when he finds another speaker of his own dialect. I do tend to slip into that mode sometimes as well.

Sometimes when I'm out with my two best friends (one only speaks Cebuano, the other only speaks Tagalog), I get the dialects mixed up and I end up speaking Cebuano to the Tagalog speaker, and vice versa. (Yeh, and its really weird, coz they have to speak to each other in English, and I have to translate little 'slips' like from their expressions, or quick statements... while they both speak to me in their own dialects... a bit confusing... lol)

In SHORT... hehe.. that must have been a slip of the tongue... so... everyone... chill... ehehe (next time that happens, please ask/remind us to translate them for you.)

Luv lots
    dhay

19. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Bruha ka talaga :D :D :D

20. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Peter just said "You are a beautiful angel".... ehhehe :Angel: