flamings tone up

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by flaming, Oct 16, 2013.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I weigh nearly 11 stone which classes me as over weight on the bmi but I'd like to be stronger . I always find it easier to go from 3 to 5 reps with a weight than 5 - 8 . 8 to 10 taKES AGES. so i think i'll gain some weight. It doesn't seem very fashionable to be muscular these days but what the heck.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I tried doing the 3 sets of 30 second l sits again and failed so left them out of one of my workouts. Did 2 sets of 20 for the last two and planning to do 4 sets of 20 on Sunday.

I didn't feel the single leg rdls in my glutes much so i split it in to 4 sets of 3 on each leg and put my hips lower and squeezed my armpits hard... felt better.

Did 10 sets of 3 pull-ups with 15 kg
    With the pistols I have been holding the weight at arms length tried them with a 16kg kb held at the opposite shoulder today felt like my legs were doing more work than my back which is probably better.

Did some parkour (drunken stroll) through the village I live in.

Expensive Capoeira tomorrow.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Managed the 4 sets of 20 sec l sits quite easily. Did 2 sets of 1 minute of warrior 3 on each leg in between. Warrior 3 is probably the most useful yoga pose in my opinion.

After that I cut down the weighted exercises
    2 sets of 3 single leg rdls on each leg
    2 sets of 8 16 kg kettlebell pistols
    2 sets of 5 15 kg pullups (was going to do 2 sets of 4 but felt I could do an extra rep. aiming to get 8 reps with 15kg before increasing the weight.)

18 alternating single leg glute bridges.

Didn't do capoeira... too expensive. Gonna try the airborn, I'll ask which class is the most empty. Or look for a useful martial art like jujutsu or a flexibility inducing one like shaolin kung fu.

Did ashtanga on saturday followed by a walk around shefton park. Then I got stuck in traffic on the way home the motorway was closed so my first meal was at 4:30. I blame that on eating extra couscous in the middle of the night.

I think I've exercised for 5 weeks in a row so I'll keep going until I've done 8. Felt like I had a cold yesterday but it wasn't there this morning.

Taking a week or two rest is probably the best thing I used not do for progress. I just kept going for ever and plateaued then lost heart. Usually I feel weaker after the rest but after 2 or 3 light workouts I'm stronger than before. Also I used do a stretch routine which took 30 minutes, which I don't think helped me at all. Static front and side splits aren't that useful IMO; or static stretching in general. Then again the ashtanga yoga features many static stretches with a focus on correct posture and breathing which has helped my sleep, which was a problem for me for a long time.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Did the extra L sits and warrior 3's then 2 sets of 6 single legs rdls's 50kg, 8 pistols 16 kg and false grip pullups 15 kg. Then 19 glute martches alternating from side to side (the extra rep was for my weak right glute).

Then later on went to a Latin and ballroom dance class. Because I'm really bored. It was quite fun and cheap £3.50; I'll go again.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You took a year off - and then there's another break of about 8 or 9 months after that. Is it do to health or what?

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I have been diagnosed bipolar. When I'm depressed it gets quite hard to motivate myself to do exercise.

7. belltoller

I've a son - very similar circumstances. Go Go Go Go or No No No.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Planning to do a light workout today. Half of what I usually do. Going to go for a long walk though.

9. belltoller

Sorry - what MA is it that you do?

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

None at the moment just dancing and yoga. I was doing capoeira but the price increase has put me off it. I did kung fu and kickboxing in the past.

I like this forum they seem knowledgeable about fitness and friendly but they probably don't agree with me not doing back squats... they hurt my groin, but single leg exercises don't.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If an exercise hurts, then there is nothing wrong with not doing it. However, it would be useful to look into why it hurts - is it a flexibility/mobility issue, for example.

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think it's because my ankle mobility isn't as good on my right leg and the right glute doesn't switch on as easily.

I've done extra glute work on the right and my right glute is a bit bigger than my left. And soft tissue for my right leg, followed by ankle mobilizations. I've tried goblet squats and they still produced the same dull pain in my right upper adductor the next day.

When I do the pistols or single leg deadlifts I make sure the glute is firing. I find it easier to get the glute to work when I do single leg exercises.

13. belltoller

What happened to my post??

I was saying something about single-leg squats...what was it?

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you have some spare cash, it might be an idea to see a sports physio to get an idea of what the problem actually is.

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

No not much cash at the moment. I don't have any pain anywhere and I can still sprint, if I have to. I've not had any non DOM pain for a while now. Doing the false grip pull ups seems to have stopped my shoulders from twinging every now and then.

I tend to worry about things so if I feel something is wrong I'll probably see my doctor.

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I've been alternating between more L sits and single leg rdl's and less pullups and pistols and vice versa.

Yesterday I did: 3,5,5,5,5, pullups with 15kg
    5 sets of 12 alternating leg 16 kg pistols
    3 sets of 20 second l sits
    4 sets of 4 50 kg single leg rdl's.

Tommorow should be

4 sets of 8 50kg single leg rdl's
    6 sets of 20 second l sits
    3,5,5, pullups 15kg
    3 sets of 8 alternating leg 16 kg pistols

My warmup
    Is some warrior 3's and single leg bridges.

Ashtanga yoga class tonight

17. belltoller

23 pullups in a single session, not too shabby! [​IMG]

Ashtanga yoga - what flavour is this?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  18. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks, I'm aiming for 8 reps with 15kg and then I'll increase the weight again.

Ashtanga involves a hindu pushup between each position. Some of the poses are just static stretches but others are active stretches. I can do the wheel pose (not with my hands and feet as close as this, but the teacher hasn't said anything)

http://corewalking.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/urdhva-dhanurasana-from-my-yoga-online.jpg

which I couldn't do before I started and this one

http://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com/images/ashtanga-seated-mari-c.jpg

I do a beginners version of the primary series. Ive done the full primary in the past but It's at worse times for me. It's helped my sleep and posture quite a lot, I think.

19. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I tried giving up smoking, I managed from 2pm Sunday till 6pm today. I felt incredibly depressed at about 5pm. Perhaps foolishly I didn't expect depression from withdrawal I haven't read much about it. I just expected headaches irritability.

I've also got a pretty bad alcohol addiction usually 15-20 units a day but I've been decreasing that recently.

I haven't mentioned those things because I don't know if I'm anonymous here; but I think I am (Don't worry I'm not a truck driver and I don't drink and drive).

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Changing two sizeable habits at once can be tricky, do you have a big enough reason to do it?

Good on ya for posting it here, you can do it - you have the discipline for lifting and yoga. Maybe it's best for you to improve one habit at a time, or maybe it's best to link one or more together, depends on you and how compelling your "why" is!