Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you can't do pullups at home could you rig up a method of doing bodyweight inverted rows instead? You could try balancing a broom handle between 2 chairs or something. It's not a perfect substitute but something is better than nothing!

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yeah, probably. i also have a couple of bcycle inner tubes which i've used to jury-rig bent over rows before. might try when i get back home tonight.

also, just held an elbow lever attempt for 10 seconds. will try again tonight.

3. Frodocious

4. Fish Of Doom

yup, seen them. it's the strength i lack, though :p (that and the fact that one-arm pushups aren't exactly ab-friendly)

5. Frodocious

I feel your pain! I have the same problem (along with my shoulder complaining when I try to put it in certain positions!)

6. Fish Of Doom

ok, gym today. after missing last week's session i decided to ragequit my 1 a week thing and go twice, soreness be damned. first session today, and let's see if i survive the next one...

bent over rows
    3x10 25 kilos

barbell deadlift (normal ones)
    1x10 40 kilos
    3x5 55 kilos (bodyweight)

dumbbell lateral raise
    5x5 5 kilos

dumbbell side bends
    5x5 15 kilos

finished with bagwork and a few minutes on the climbing wall. still need more grip strength.

in other news, was also both amused and enraged when i finished my deadlifts, and this tall guy asks me if i'm done, and upon my reply grabs the oly bar and fricking UPRIGHT ROWS it over the safety pins (with the 35 kilos still on it).

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Strength training takes time amd strength training is secondary to your martial arts goals. Bet you are faster and more flexible than that guy and probably could kick his you know what,

8. Frodocious

:happy: bodyweight deadlift! :happy:

9. Fish Of Doom

10. Fish Of Doom

isometric stretching is fun. i am now a few centimeters closer to a full side split :D (about 12 more to go, i think).

although in hindsight, i should have done it yesterday. meh, we'll see how i feel tomorrow, else gym and more stretching on thursday.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im going to start on the van zandt split thing too!

12. hext

hext Valued Member

What I use for home pull-up is our living room door, ( quite sturdy being fireproof) wide open against the wall, wedged in then with a towel on top pull myself up, hard work and I've grown fond of them as it mimics pulling yourself over a wall...Just don't do them when my other half is at home else..:woo:

However... as Not good as the real thing so I don't count them towards the MAP challenge..

I really need to be stretching more too!

13. Fish Of Doom

short session today as i was short on time, and i'll headbutt the crotches of anyone who cracks a joke (except frodo. but only cuz i'll step on her :evil: ).

barbell bent-over row
    3x10 at 25 kilos (need to go a bit heavier, will try 30 next week)

barbell deadlift
    1x10 at 40 kilos as warm-up
    5x5 at 55 kilos (need to improve form a little, but the weight feels manageable as long as my grip holds. also, ow my awkwardly protruding kneecaps)

dumbbell side bend
    4x5 with 15 kilos (was running out of time and something was sorta twitching in my lower back. think i borked it a few weeks ago on the climbing wall. will wait a bit extra before increasing the weight on my deadlifts, to give it time to fix itself).

afterwards did a crapton of running, since i was running late, but then got lost and ended up literally running from one side of oslo to the other (then i took a tram :D)

after my norwegian course i tried to flag on a roadsign post, with very mild success (can get there but not hold myself up), and did some elbow levers on a bench besides the tram stop. prolly will do some isometric stretching later.

14. Frodocious

Starts polishing banstick...

Good luck for starting to work the flag!

15. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Don't fear straps, they have their place. Awesome job on the lifting!

16. Fish Of Doom

just did three sets (without counting reps, just until i sorta fell down) of turning in place low into a CMA stance the name of which i never actually learned (cross stance, i think)*, and which i affectionately refer to as chinese glute-killing hell, and iso side splits for three sets of 30 second contractions. got both things on video and am uploading for the workout thread. will post in a bit

*[​IMG]

17. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Kosa dachi a la China.

18. Fish Of Doom

chinese glute-killing hell sounds cooler :p

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Yes, it certainly does.

20. Fish Of Doom

random set of fast triceps pushups to failure, purely for the lulz. got 20-something, but my technique was wonky (hands were too far up, limiting shoulder ROM)