First time sparring ... I was terrible

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by u6s68, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Sparring is not about about winning or losing. It's not a fight.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's oh so much more subtle than this.

ABD, attack by drawing. Perhaps the most subtle and most difficult of the 5 ways of attack.

Skill at the highest level and it's what sets the professionals and the rest of us apart.

Bruce Lee said, "it's not daily increase, it's daily decrease" and to lose the awkwardness and replace it with what appears to be nothingness it the lifelong search.

Are those who drop their hands protecting themselves at all times?

Oh yes.

Next time you're sparring drop your hands and see if anyone falls for it.

Not a chance. No-one is that daft, so how do you make it work?

That my friend is why you go to class every week.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

oh give me a break... you know I was talking about sparring, just shut up already with your crap.

4. Saved_in_Blood

I know this, but you when you get the better of one in sparring as a beginner, you would consider yourself being the winner as such would you not? Then later as you understand it more, you'll know more what it's about.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, this is true. However, you would also acknowledge someone like Froch who fights with his hands in a bad position most of a fight being much more foolish to do so than a prime Roy Jones who could get away with it because of his speed and MUCH better movement allowed him to do so with less risk would you not?

6. Simon

I wouldn't acknowledge that at all.

Carl Froch, champion of the world and pitting one champion against another doesn't validate my argument any less.

7. Saved_in_Blood

ok, Froch vs. Groves... fair that Froch got the win both times, but was peppered with shots and a few that could have caused the fight to be stopped. Froch vs. Ward... Ward keeps his hands up, Froch loses a wide UD to Ward.

Even yourself in your avatar have your hands up.. why not keep them down and throw from the hip? For multiple reasons that you already know. For me personally... I'm taught you never drop your hands EVER, and you move constantly. Everyone has their way of doing things and i'll just leave it at that instead of debating since we all have our own ideas on risk vs. reward. There are safer ways to bait one into making a mistake IMO.

8. Saved_in_Blood

My only point to the OP is that it was always my understanding and still am reminded of it every week that if you are not getting smacked around early in training when you spar, then you should get a better partner. You don't learn from those who aren't very good to begin with. When you start to get the better of that person... it's time to spar with someone better than that.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

From what I remember MAP is a family friendly site so please tone the language down.
    If it wouldnt pass at church then dont bring it here.

10. Saved_in_Blood

yes, because this place is much much like church... I like you're little attempted crack at my religion and how people like yourself are very quick to judge. I guess we will find out when it's all over, so keep doing your thing and i'll do mine.

11. Unreal Combat

No, because that's not what sparring is about. There's no room for ego in the ring.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Are you threatening me with eternal hell fire under our magniliquent Lord satan for not agreeing with you online?

13. Saved_in_Blood

If that's how you want to take it, help yourself. I asked MANY times that my religion be kept out of discussions that have nothing to do with the subject. I'll just put you on ignore and we can again... both do our own thing.

14. Saved_in_Blood

I didn't say anything about ego... you can feel like you "won" without it being an ego thing. That is just how some interpret sparring.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You just named three or four guys who won world titles and made millions doing so, guys who went through their weight classes and tore it up and who also won way more than they lost, do you seriously think they don't know the basics of boxing inside out, nearly all of them have been boxing longer than a lot of people on this forum have been alive, would you care yo rethink your opinion?? As for hitting and not getting in return that's a thing that only happens in fantasy or when you are completely outmatched when you have boxed a bit longer you will understand what these guys are doing

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Tone it down or you will face another ban from MAP. You've had plenty of warnings already about your behaviour on here.

17. Unreal Combat

There's a massive difference between gaining a sense of accomplishment through developmental improvement, and winning. When you've fought, and won, you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

So if someone comes out of the sparring ring, feeling like he's a winner, the reality is that he went into that ring with something to prove rather than something to learn.

That, to me, is ego.

18. Simon

You can do your thing within the ToS.

As for my avatar, well I switch between hands high and occasionally dropping my lead hand.

The avatar picture was taken during my boxing session at the MAP Meet, so proper instruction and demonstration for those who've never done boxing.

When I do drop the lead hand I bring the read hand slightly across to assist in defending centre line, so as I said, there are subtle changes that may not be obvious and this is why I said earlier that attack by drawing was a difficult skill to master.

You can of course do "attack by drawing" with both hands held high.

19. Simon

You sir are going to make an excellent coach. :D

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think a new thread on striking and hands low and high. Personally I have a bad habit of subconsciously dropping my left hand because I'm so tall. However I can do it consciously to lure people too, I also find that it makes it easier to see shots coming. As an absolute beginner you are of course encouraged to keep your hands very high, because it is a terrible habit dropping your hands.