First kickboxing class - a little annoyed

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by retrograde, Oct 19, 2007.

1. never_surrender

never_surrender New Member

I love kickboxing down to the ground, and although i have only been doing it for about 5 months (and gained a medal in the process) i have come a hell of a long way and i can see the differences both physically and mentaly. Why? Because i joined a Kickboxing CLUB! Not a gym where the prices are bound to be sky high, although private gym's (the kind you get on the back street where all the roughnecks go) are quite cheap, but they seldom do Martial Arts lessons. So my advice would be to join a club that specializes in Martial Arts like Kickboxing etc.

Never Surrender, Never Say Die!

2. never_surrender

I pay insurance in my yearly cost with my club. Its always better to have a little extra backup when you need it. Kickboxing in the UK

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. legkicker

legkicker Valued Member

Which kickboxing club in the UK?
    This whole class sounds pants to be honest
    this is what i think.
    1. Insurance = no probs there, good clubs should have insurance if theyre affiliated to a big kickboxing group like WAKO or ISKA or WKA,....etc

2. Not much work on technique? No one helps with technique? That says it all! sounds like crap tuition to be honest. But then again most people who go there are probably not arsed with wether or not they can punch or kick properly.

In a beginners class i would expect to be taught to :
    1.Hold my guard correctly
    2.PErform a proper jab and cross and know the difference.
    3. Do a decent front push kick and a roundhouse kick to the body or legs.
    Any other techniques are a bonus but also some defensive techniques would be nice
    Examples= how to defend a front kick , or how to block a low kick or how to parry punches.....etc

4. never_surrender

It's an affiliate of the C.M.A.A. (Cobra Martial Arts Association) Which is also part of the W.K.A. Based in Manchester run by Andrew Morrell. The club is Phoenix Kickboxing which is based in Nottingham.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hi,

As an instructor, I am required to have all new students pay a £30 licence fee by their fourth week of training. This includes their insurance and membership to various organisations to which my club is affiliated. This fee is decided by the national governing body and not myself, and as an instructor I don't make any profit from it.

Apart from that and the cost of uniforms/equipment etc, all I charge is the lesson fee (which is pay as you go). I wonder how many instructors on here charge monthly or lesson-by-lesson?

Kind regards,

Super Foot

[​IMG] WTF Tae Kwon Do (USTU)

[​IMG] TAGB Tae Kwon Do

[​IMG] IKF Kickboxing

[​IMG] Superfoot System

6. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

My club allows payment per session or per calender month. The instructor charges £4 a class or £13.50 per month which allows you to take as many classes as you want 3/week + 1 sparring class starting soon. You can also choose to pay £17.50 per month which is the same as the £13.50 but it also includes licenses and 3 gradings a year.

7. legkicker

legkicker Valued Member

You talk about gyms "where all the roughnecks go" in an almost derogatory way it seems (???) Now some of those gyms turn out very good fighters.
    In fact most of the clubs that turn out GOOD full contact (Yes full contact in the ring not pansy light continuous on the mats) fighters train in "backstreet gyms" like ours.
    Why should anyone go to a "martial arts" club that do "semi /light contact kickboxing" rather than the full contact variant? Asumming they want to be a REAL kickboxer

8. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

We have run without insurance a few times, my all risks policy on my house insurance covered me and everyone else was told to sort it out themselves. I don't think it's a law that you must have insurance, but local authority halls may have it as a condition, orgs may have it as a house rule etc. I would be very surprised if there was an actual act of parliament stating this.

9. never_surrender

The club i go to gives you a choice as to how you want to spar or weather indeed that is what you want to do in the first place (because not everyone does MA for the fighting but merely to tone up and exercise) I too am one of those "Roughnecks" my friend, i was merely saying it out of jest, but i meant what i said about there not being any MA training there apart from the odd punchbag. As far as light continuous goes, i absolutely agree with it as i think it prepares first timers for full contact. (helps them decide weather that is the next step) but of course you being a REAL Kickboxer i suppose never bothered with all that. Did you?

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Raarrr!!! All we need now is the wet t-shirts and some popcorn! :D

Kind regards,

Super Foot

[​IMG] WTF Tae Kwon Do (USTU)

[​IMG] TAGB Tae Kwon Do

[​IMG] IKF Kickboxing

[​IMG] Superfoot System

11. legkicker

legkicker Valued Member

A lot of full contact fighters do light first , i did light a few times just for the fun but then i decided to have a proper fight. Now i just fight with low kicks , sometimes with low kicks and knees as well but never the above waist style. Do your club do full contact at all? Tell me more our club do regular fight nights i can put you in touch with my instructor as well i fight at 63-65kg and my record is 1-0-1 . I will fight low kick rules 3 round match only please :love:

12. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

Since OP stated the cost in $, it's likely he's in the US-it may be different if he's in Oz or NZ, etc. In the states, medical insurance, if you have it, would cover injuries sustained in training. Disability income insurance, if you have it, would cover loss of income from injuries. If you don't have these and you get injured, you're setting your own nose with popsicle sticks and duct tape and relying on the very stingy Social Security disability benefit.

A student who is injured in training, or more likely, the parents of a minor student injured in training, might sue the school or instructor claiming that the safety standards were inadequate. All MA schools I know of require students to sign waivers that they won't do this, but I doubt the waivers would really mean much in court (Domino?). The school would ultimately rely on liability insurance. This protects the school against loss from personal injury claims. It doesn't protect the students against anything except the risks that a) if they sue a school that doesn't have insurance and win, the school might go bankrupt and not be able to pay the claim or b) if someone else sues the school and it goes bankrupt, they'll have to find another school.

I've trained in lots of MA schools and college phys ed departments in the states and never heard of an insurance fee. The cost of liability insurance is just part of the school's overhead, the same as the rent. Charging a separate fee to the students for it makes about as much sense as charging them a separate fee for heat or phone bills.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  13. never_surrender

They will let you do FC provided you wear protective gear respectively. I am going to begin doing FC in the middle of the year as i want to touch up on a few things on the light-continuous side of things such as control over kicks and power control and also speed and timing hence the reason i suggested doing light-continuous is a good thing and not "pansy fighting" as was said earlier in the posts.

14. never_surrender

My point exactly Superfoot.

15. legkicker

legkicker Valued Member

Well our club have a show in june , we will soon see which clubs are full of pansies and which clubs give good solid training. By the way people from reputable clubs in nottingham have fought on our shows in sheffield examples fighters from St Georges kickboxing club (THE best Above waist style kickboxing club in nottingham BAR NONE anyone tells you any different they dont understand the sport period) and also Nottingham Roughhouse (their reputation speaks for itself!).

Light continuous is OK (just ok by the way) But if you only fight light continuous and never do full , then you cant call yourself equal to those who do fight Full contact. Just the same way that low kick and thai fighters are a step above the ordinary full contact people and likewise the MMA people are the hardest and craziest people around!!! :cool:

16. never_surrender

We are a year old in April and so far business is good but when you compare the likes of Roughouse and St Georges then there is none is there because they obviously have had the time and the experience both in and out of the ring over the years to gain that kind of reputation. I plan on doing full contact as i have said (more than twice now) in the middle of the year maybe a bit earlier, maybe a bit later, but this year. If i win any tournaments then i am obviously doing something right, if i lose then i will work harder than i am already to make sure i DO start winning. Either way, i am loyal to my instructor and the club and will support them both the best i can.