Finally serious about training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jaydub, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I've trained off and on most of my life. I started in Hap Do Sool, and trained for about 2 years before I had to move away. I have since dabbled in Boxing, Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do, Kung Fu, and MMA.

Moving around most of my life, and the nature of my career makes it very difficult for me to progress in any sort of training. I've also made excuses and found at least one wrong thing with most places I've trained.

I've been fortunate enough to stay in one place for the past year, and have recently earned my Green Belt in Yoshukai Karate. I also train in Daiwa-Ryu Jujutsu.

I've stopped making excuses and my training is a huge priority in my life. I look forward to seeing where this path will take me.

Osu!

Jaydub

2. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Good luck with your endeavor. You'll be glad you are finally going at at properly. Keep us posted.

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Good for you and best of luck with it. Never to late to get serious about your training just remember it is still a maratheon and not a race rather than burning yourself out and quiting again.

How long have you been on-off training/dabbling?

4. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I will make sure not to burn myself out, but it's a huge focus in my life right now. I look at it as making up for wasted time.

I started about 20 years ago, but wasted most of that time coming up with excuses not to train.

5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Training is still going very well. I'm going to be competing in my first tournament in late April. I'm training hard and looking foward to that. Right now, I'd like to share an epiphany I've had since starting over.

Until now, I've never thought of myself as an absolute beginner. I'd start a new martial art thinking I had some experience, and get discouraged that I wasn't performing well, and quit. It was humbling, but I found when I started from square one, as a total beginner, training came much easier to me. I finally feel like I'm starting to progress.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015