Finally got my green belt :)

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Is it a big deal? Not really, but since the baby came I will have to take a month or 2 off for money reasons.

I had a lot of trouble with the S lock on that test. One of my instructors has very big wrists, so it's harder to get that lock on him I guess because it works on pretty much most people I have tried it with when I would practice it at home.

For a little while I got discouraged about the art, but progressing more I can definitely see how effective it would be the further I get along since it's a progressing system and each move is just expanded upon every few belts.

I would at very least like to stick with it and get my black belt either way though. I want that feeling of accomplishment.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Congratulations.

Keep up the good work.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Congratulations!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHpTPq6dBY"]City Boy - The Hap-ki-do Kid - YouTube[/ame]

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Congratulations. What's the ranking system in Combat Hapkido? I recall you said you began training in February so I was just curious as it seems quick promoting.

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

CONGRATULATIONS.

6. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Congratulations!

Now to keep up the good work.

7. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Congrats! And sounds like you now have the motivation to keep up with it, which is great!

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Every 3 months (ish) ? If he is progessing well that could be about right for a green (third rank in my JJ ranking system dunno about elsewhere). He may have done a "double grade" at the low levels too....I don't do those, but know many schools that will

Well done SiB ;)

9. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Congrats SiB!!! Keep up the good work!

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Congrats!

Actually, I really like the green belt level... I look at green belts as student that I can trust to fall OK, tap when they need to, have decent strikes, and a decent concept of how things are fitting together. Green belts are fun - they have an idea of what they are doing and are hungry for more!

Side note - at our Combat Hapkido school, we run the following ranks on the following approximate time scale for testing: White belt (at least one month before yellow test), Yellow belt (at least one month, maybe 2 before testing), Orange belt (Two to three months before testing to next level), Green (3-4 months before testing again), Purple (3-4 months to next test), then we go Blue, Brown, Brown with 1 tip, Brown with 2 tips, and Brown with 3 tips, with about 6 months between levels. From brown with 3 tips to black is at least a 6 month wait to test (and may have a pre-test). Most students take 3 and a half to 5 years to earn 1st dan.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Interesting, thanks Thomas.

12. Saved_in_Blood

thanks gentlemen... the ranking is as Thomas said, white, yellow, orange and then green. The white and yellow are very easy and just early prep belts so to speak, since there isn't much to learn they are 1-2 month belts. Now the orange was a bit longer and the green has taken me as said above... about 3 months. However, now part of where I am is going back through all of the belts and several times (just each move once to make sure it's all still fresh) during several classes while training for the purple belt.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I should have noted that we use brown belts with tips (up to three) instead the recommended colors of brown, red, red/black, and black/white. We teach the same curriculum but use a brown belt with tips to save a little bit of money.

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Congrats man. I hope you stick with it, it's a long damn journey in MA.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Congrats SiB :)

Mitch

16. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Congrats! Поздравлением! :)

17. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, I really enjoy it and that would be a real feeling of accomplishment.

18. Saved_in_Blood

I think we do similar, though it might be brown and then brown with black stripe and then red with red stripe... there's also a black with white stripe too though so i'm not sure which order they go in, oh well.. i'll be a while getting up to any of those anyway.

19. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Man green belt is a great rank. You are starting to see how things fit together and like Thomas said, "It's a very good thing"

Congrats again

20. Saved_in_Blood

thanks a lot man. I really do enjoy taking my time and learning proper technique. I'm glad I am taking it now instead of when I was younger when I was very impulsive and would have rushed to try to get my next belt.