Fighting and The Law

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pgm316, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Forget it, Geenius. Three or four people at this point have asked for his background, and he won't put up. It would probably be best if this thread were just closed, locked, deleted or just napalmed.

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Whats the point BKG!? As you've said its junk, what difference will qualifications, references and case law make to that?

I'd really REALLY have liked the last 5 pages of thread to be usefull advice for martial artists. I tried by writing an article but instead of trying to help you've focused your efforts on rubbishing everything I say and thus turned the thread into an absolute waste of time.

Thankyou BaiKaiGuy!

3. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Don't try and bring this into it mate lol, BKG (although he's from a different jurisdiction) knows far more than me because he's an actual practicing criminal lawyer. I'm just a student about to go into his second year. People, please don't start comparing us, I know the limits of my knowledge here.

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Knock it off you drama queen. God you sound like a spoiled little girl.

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

For someone so qualified in law you resort to the most pathetic name calling. :rolleyes:

No I trully am dissapointed because your skill could be put to much better use that pointless drivel.

6. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

And yet you still ignore the requests for your sources and your law education background, even from people other than BKG.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

It's what this has devolved into.

You've been asked for sources, you've been asked for your educational background, by people other than me (let's see, hux, geenius, to name two), and you respond with "you're being mean, I'm not saying anything." And you wonder why we aren't taking you seriously any more?!?

I put my skills to use, and have been met with utter contempt because your ego can't handle being criticized. Get over it.

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Studied law at college then at Huddersfield University. Although much of my experince has come from Police & Bouncers which has been a true eye opener to what takes place from the moment of an incident to it going to court proceedings.

Going back to BKG's first comment, his right my post should been more carefully worded and with a disclaimer (although you could say the same for thousands of threads on here).

I just ask that BKG make his posts more respectful of other peoples views.

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

True if you're talking of your skills to be ignorant!

Why not ask me more questions before the patronising comments? You had abolutely no interest in what I had to say before I argued back :bang:

10. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

So were you a bouncer/cop, or did you just listen to them tell you war stories? How long did you study law? Did you have a pre-law major and then go to a law school?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

No I didn't just listen :rolleyes:

I'm done answering questions, don't insult me and still expect me to answer with civil replies!

Please listen to BKG's advice regarding LAW as hes the most qualified around here and make your own mind up on how you'd deal with a situation.

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Geenius, give it up. This is becoming pointless.

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Very much so. We'll have to agree to disagree :Angel:

14. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Thanks for the response pgm316.
    Just the odd question if you'll indulge me?

To what level did you study law? I did Psychology at college and then went on to do my degree at Uni BUT I had to quit and get a job :eek: due to financial reasons. So I could say I did Psychology at Uni which is true but without following up by saying that I didn't finish it's misleading!

Also could you please elaborate on your commment about your experience coming form Police and Bouncers???

Cheers

15. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

my tuppence - I go with BKG, Timmy and the American Lawyer chap.
    I read the article and thought it was a little naive, and not the tack I would take in any regards.

I'm new so I'll add my qualifications, some martial arts, for 20 years now, Law degree (proper LLB - not some sort of CAMS rubbish - the real deal - milud!), then post grad diploma in legal practice (LPC for those that understand that, kinda like the bar exams in US parlance I think, its the qualification that comes after the degree), have made a study of self defence for personal reasons (always asked this question by students...), and have specifically studied criminal law, criminal justice, law of evidence, and criminal litigation. BUT - I work in civil law. Hoping to do do an LLm this year. Waiting for work to pay...if they don't, maybe I'll have a crack atr gcse spanish...Hola senor! Uno cerveza porfavour!
    Black belt registration with the police? Nope. Or I'm in trouble...

Incidentally, I've never managed to find many reported cases which concern martial atists. don't currently have access to lexus, butterworths etc. Perhaps Timmy could invest a bit of time in the library and see if he can find ought? I do know of a tkd case and one about a kung fu chap arrested for practicing sword katas, in a park (or cemetary) naked...

MArtial artists being veiwed differently...it could happen. In the UK self defence is viewed from the perspective of the victim, or the person seeking to rely on the defence of self defence. For eg it doesn't matter that it was a fake gun, cucumber or banana and could not have killed you, you are entitled to defend yourself as it is was real, if you honestly believed this to be the case. But add to that it is viewed by a jury deciding what the victim honestly believed was happening. A jury could decide a martial artist should have had more control or something and decide that they continued to 'defend' themselves beyond a point where they needed to. If you have an opportunity to escape, and you do not take it, then it is not self defence in the eyes of the law in the UK.

So sorry, I won't be following the advice of the article.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Mine do to, I've never argued about ANY laws!

I totally understand if you don't agree with some of what I wrote but some of it is obvious and really goes without saying. Its not that controversial :bang: The fact is the vast majority of PEOPLE will put there own safety first, and generally they'll do this without breaking the law.

Whats being argued now is something different as I agree with all you say in your post fthl. I've got access to lexus & butterworths. But I really don't think martial artists get treated in a different way unless it becomes a big issue of the case.

17. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

er PGM you missed my question on the previous page????

Here it is again:

Ta :)

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I am both BKG and the American lawyer chap, lol.

So, I would realy like to compare notes with you and Timmy. For exampe, timmy breifly mentioned something about pre-emptive strikes and/or the duty to retreat and British Common Law. I'd like to hear more about that, it sounds fascinating.

I'd also like to hear how Bristish common law views defense of property, etc. This could turn into something very interesting, gentlemen!

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sorry Spooky. I originally studied law as part of my business degree, then went on to do more as part of my job as we deal with legal issues. Although I'll be the first to admit I'm no lawyer!

I've worked and trained with bouncers, no longer do but still know many.

Similar with police although I still work with them through my job on various security matters.

20. hux

hux ya, whatever.

weeeeell, they kinda had to drag it out of ya, eh?

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.