Female sparrer's - better for having brothers?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Taliar, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I was talking with my girlfriend the other day who has recently started coming to TKD with me (If you can't beat 'em join 'em she say's). She really enjoys sparring, and is not afraid of contact unlike some of the women in our club, whoever she said she is more used to fighting as she grew up with 2 brothers. We though about the female members in our club and the ones we know to have brothers and therefore may have had a more tomboy like childhood definately seem to enjoy and be better at sparring.

So here's the question. (primarily for females, but feel free to contribute males).

Does having brothers (and the rougher play that generally goes with boys games) make those sisters who take up martial arts better at sparring as they are more aggressive and used to contact.

2. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

I know two girls who are sisters and don't have any brothers. The eldest is one of the roughest females in the club (either that or she doesn't like me :p ) and the youngest is one of the softest in the club. I don't know what signifigance any of this is, but school is boring...

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

It gets them use to pain and violence at a young age, thus makes them quicker learners when it comes to sparing.

4. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

I have an older brother and yes it probably has made me more aggressive than the average female. I also went to the boys school for 6th form, did a male dominated degree subject and also work in a male dominated office...

How much of my aggression is environmental and how much was caused by hormonal levels of testosterone whilst I was in the womb I am not sure, perhaps if I had an equally horrid older sister I'd be the same?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  5. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

I love sparring and I also have a brother. I think it probably did help me since I wasn't afraid to get hit and I also came up with my own tactics before I started doing MA's. I still fight with the big idiot to this day :p (its all in good fun!)

Laura

6. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

My sis grew up with two older bros and two younger. She's definintly more aggresive than other girls I know. She's not afraid to stand up to someone and claw their eyes out. Too bad she's not a MAist

7. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

I have a slightly younger brother but I'm not sure that this has had any effect on me or my aggression.

The problem with me is that when I spar I don't really hit as hard as I get and end up getting battered abit because I don't feel aggressive towards my opponent.... bah I don't know!

8. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

my opinion

I think that having brothers is not the full question. It probably has more to do with your "relationship" to your brothers.

If the female had a healthy "equal" relationship that included both the good & bad ( fights, horseplay) and was treated by brothers and parents as an equal; it can be assumed that they will have a better "interaction" on all levels.

In culturs and/or families where they were either treated like queens or secnd class citizens, it is possible/probably that they will be disadvantaged in many interactions.

Personality types count for alot, especially in situations where you are put in activities that might seem "alien" to you. The product of the equal relationship will probably be less intimidated, more confident, and more experience in the ups & downs of the "interaction".

It might seem like I went off topic, but I think this is the real topic you began

Pete Ticali

9. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I have 2 step sons that used to give my 2 step daughters hell when they were younger and now both girls will mix it up with the best of them

10. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I had two sisters and we used to fight a lot when we were younger. My sister hit me over the head with a sherry bottle once :eek:. And she stabbed a fork in my hand. It's definitely a temperament thing. I've known quite a few boys who suffered at the hands of their sisters.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it might influence the situation a bit, but i think it all depends on the person.

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Trust me it gives you a huge advantage when you are learning how to spar.

Me and my brother used to fight all the time. When I started sparing it was second nature to me, it didnt scare me to get hit.

The headstart you get from the lack of fear is really useful.

13. Getalifebud

Getalifebud Valued Member

I am male, but from having a heavy built big bro I tend to be able to take more pain and fight rougher and smarter than friends who do not have big brothers or brothers quite as tough as mine (mine does Rugby and USA football). As we get along well it helps as our fights are friendly. Also I am pretty good at sparring.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My little sister is definately tougher for having 2 older Brothers (1 MAist 1 musclehead).
    Shes so cutesy and cuddles all things Hello Kitty.....and a mean left hook for a righty! :D

We raised her well.