Female boxer dies after bout

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by MossIsGone84, Apr 6, 2005.

1. MossIsGone84

MossIsGone84 New Member

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's horrible hearing about things like this; whilst I understand it's a risk people take when committing themselves to the sport, it's still very tragic.

Even worse is that she was wearing head gear.

My prayer's go out to Becky's friends and family.

3. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

it's sad to hear stories like this.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

sad, but its a calculated risk for any fighting sport. in boxing, its a higher risk. I remember reading somewhere that headgear can actually be more dangerous... anyone in the know who can verify that?

5. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Yikes, Ive never heard of anyone dying from boxing! But that is tragic tho, i feel bad for the person she was fighting, imagine haveing to live knowing you killed someone! :bang:

6. INTERNAL BOXING

INTERNAL BOXING Banned Banned

Boxing should be outlawed there's way to many deaths. MMA is much safer

7. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

"I didn't want to hurt her," Schmitz told KCNC-TV after the fight, when Zerlentes was still alive. "I feel very badly about that. ... I feel horrible how it ended. You don't go in there with the idea (that) I want to hurt this person."

What does she go into the ring hopeing she'll have a freaking tea-party with her opponent...

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

are you serious? there are hundreds of recorded cases of people dying from boxing related injuries, somewhere in the region of 800 I think since the 1920s. and thats not even counting vegetables.

You go into a ring hoping that you will win, not that the other person gets injured or killed. ask any fighter and 90% will say that they would rather their opponent was fine after a fight. of course there are a few who just want to hurt people.

9. rocky

rocky Valued Member

I believe the theory is that the brain can still recieve impact trauma.The only difference is you can recieve it for longer because the external impact is cusioned so surface pain is less intense.Headguards only really protect against surface damage such as cuts and black eyes.

The same arguement has been used about gloves also:-According to history,the majority of organized bare knuckle fights(although there are exceptions) were ended in the first few rounds due to the intensity of recieving a bare knuckle punch.Boxers today are lasting 12x3 minute rounds.

Whilst at first glance this may appear that boxing is safer,it means the bare knuckle boxer is accumilating less punishment over their careers.

I don't know whether there is any research/proof to back these claims up.

Rocky

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you sure about that? before there was a round limit to fights they would often go for dozens of rounds, sometimes over a hundred.

11. rocky

rocky Valued Member

I've heard the same too.Before they introduced rounds i've heard of a fight between 2 bare knuckle gypsy fighters lasting for 2 hours 45 minutes.

I think perhaps these types of fighters are the exception though.I doubt there are many people on earth who can take that kind of punishment.

I have no idea what kind of research is being done into these theories but i think it would be time well spent.Certainly a lot more productive than the usual hysteria by the media.

Rocky

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've read a few articles over the years talking of how headguards only help minimise the damage of such injuries as those stated above.

She went into the fight with an ambition to beat her opponent, not kill her...

13. beef

beef New Member

I've heard that too - can't verify it though. It was something about it causes the brain to 'rattle' more against the skull ... I think?

There's this quote

From http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/papers/manuscripts/_164.html

Not sure how much the head gear has improved since then? Must have improved a bit since 1995?

Also this quote:

14. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I was under the impression that headguards were seen as dangerous by some trainers because; 1) it gives the boxer an illusion of protection and makes them less likely to try and duck, block or slip head shorts and 2) it impairs vision.

Anyway, it's tragic that someone dies in the ring competing in a sport they love. :(

15. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

I think that's the same reason that they've reduced the number of rounds in boxing from 15 to 12. i remembered those days when boxers fight for 15 rounds....many boxers died and ended in mishap due to severe fatigue and severe continuous impact from getting hit.

16. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Sad case of mis-adventure

Yes another tragic case in boxing. It is ironic that what the public believe as safety equipment can be more dangerous than having no so called safety equipment such as gloves and headgear. In the way that the hitter can hit harder than he could without the gloves and the person getting hit can receive more punishment than he could without it. Head gear and gloves do give an illusion on the safety of boxing. It is interesting to note than since UFC introduced gloves there as an instant increase in the amout of KOs. The one thing than makes boxing more dangerous than other combat sports is that the head is the more target and KO is the ultimate goal. I believe that boxing should regress back to its original pulgilism method.

17. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Or due to severe dehydration. This is what caused Michael Watson and Gerald McClellan's brain injuries Many of the fatalities or brain damage has been caused by this, hence the reason now why some organisations have weigh-ins the day before a fight so that weight-drained boxers can put back the necessary fluids. Of course by the time the fight rolls around they often end up nearly 12 lbs over their supposed weight limit but that's another argument.

18. incubus

incubus Valued Member

always tragic to hear these things... however one knows the risks when engaging in these sports. One never really considers that it can happen to him...

19. Joseph5

Joseph5 New Member

About the safey of Head gear

Head Gear offers a flat surface to a fighter throwing a punch. Unlike the shape of a skull, head gear has largely flat sides, allowing for more power to be absorbed when struck. I bet if professionals used head gear there would be alot more ko's/serious head injuries. For the record, I love boxing, but I think it's the most brutal sport on earth.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's true, but each round ended when a boxer was floored, so while rounds could sometimes be quite long, they could also be very short! And as the boxers tired, they would tend to get shorter.