Favourite kickboxing fight of all time?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Van Zandt, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hi,

I was wondering what everyone's favourite kickboxing fight of all time is?

Mine is Benny Urquidez vs. Katsuyuki Suzuki (1977).

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

That's a good one Superfoot. Well for my favorite, I have a couple, but they're all worth mentioning.

Dennis Alexio vs Don Wilson - Two of Kickboxing's best against each other for the WKA title. Was under Low Kick Rules, and was great.

Dennis Alexio vs Dick Kimber - Short fight, only 2 rounds. Loved it because of Alexio's jumping reverse sidekick, and his pure domination of Kimber.

Rick Roufus vs Jean Yves Theriault - Two legends (though Rick was the young gun at the time) battling it out. Great fight.

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Here's the Alexio/Kimber fight.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13Scm3IrQ4"]Alexio vs Kimber : Kickboxing Match - YouTube[/ame]

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting that in the Alexio fight they give an inseam measurement in the fighters stats. It'd be interesting to see that in the K-1. Surely Semmy Schilt would be on top and surely Mike Zambidis would be near the bottom. :D

5. slipthejab

Here is one of Alexio's few losses. To a superb fighter... Stan 'The Man' Longinidis who fought out of Australia if I recall. I've got tons of old Aussie fight mags with interviews from the late 80s early nineties. Lots of great fighters that most people outside of Australia have never heard of.

The low kick breaks Alexio's leg. The rule set must have included low kicks something that I don't think Alexio was used to. Then again even if he was... Longinidis was an absolute monster!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu1lbRfdQfY&feature=related"]Stan "The Man" Longinidis v Dennis Alexio - YouTube[/ame]

and here goes some post fight media coverage... interesting stuff. Alexio looks like he could have been Andy Hug's brother. :D
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH9dDqe4A64&NR=1"]Stan Longinidis vs Dennis Alexio Post Fight Media Coverage - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  6. slipthejab

Here's the Aussies VS the Brits for the world super heavyweight Kickboxing title... now take a look at the size of the shots that Gary Sandland takes from Longinidis. They'd have killed a normal man. You'd have to be hard as nails to not be completely sparked out by even the first one!!! :eek:

The sheer size of these guys is impressive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7AKdgiV4Ew&feature=related"]Stan "The Man" Longinidis vs Gary Sandland - HL - Big KO! - YouTube[/ame]

7. slipthejab

Here is more Longinidis from the early K-1 days! Most of you recognize his opponent Nobukai Kakuda not from his fight career but from watching him referee K-1 bouts for a long time!

He doesn't fare very well against Longinidis... I mean christ... Stan has great punching power and look at the leg kicks he lands. Ooooouch!!! :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INAasIPw7vU&feature=related"]Stan "The Man" Longinidis vs Nobuaki Kakuda - K-1 Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

8. slipthejab

Ok one more and then I'll take a break before I turn this into the Stan 'The Man' Longinidis thread... lol. Sorry.

It's interesting in this next fight... look at the change in styles... neither of these fighters come from a Muay Thai background. Andy Hug is a hardcore karateka... and Longinidis comes from primarily a kickboxing background even though he did train some Muay Thai.

But in the K-1 ruleset the style went through some changes... gone are the chambered kicks... gone are the kicks that snap from the knee (though you will see Longinidis throw some kicks that belie his kickboxing background)... gone is the side on stance so associated with kickboxing. Fighters square up and keep a high guard - more associated with Muay Thai.

In the next fight... you see Stan is no slouch. But time waits for no man and let's face it... squaring up against Andy Hug is a grind from hell. The ball size you'd have to have to want to do that is of unhuman proportions!!!! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLN6-lQe-GA&feature=related"]andy hug vs stan the man - YouTube[/ame]

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Slip, you are wrong about Alexio. Dennis fought in a lot of Low Kick Rule bouts as well as FCR bouts. His fight against Don Wilson and many others included low kicks. Alexio's leg broke, because it broke a year before, and when Stan threw that hard low kick, it snapped Alexio's leg.

10. slipthejab

So which one did he fight more in Mr. Smartypants? lol. :D
    Yes... obviously he fought in some low kick bouts... but I suspect had far more points under non-low kick rule sets. Do you know?

And? Stan threw a kick that broke his leg. No one has been saying anything different. In fact all you did was reiterate what his camp said at the time. It's there for all to see on the vid. That's not somehow trying to win points of Stan that he didn't earn or whatever... Alexio stepped in there willing to fight and got his leg broken. It is what it is. If was worried about his leg getting broken from a low kick because it was broke before... then he should have thought twice about fighting Longinidis.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Let's see if I remember all the bouts under Low Kick Rules. There was...:

Branco Cikatic (which was like a K-1 bout, it also had a highly controversial stoppage due to bad reffing)

Don "The Dragon" Wilson (for the WKA title)

Larry Cureton

Masaaki Miyamoto

I think his bout with Dennis "Mad Dog" Downey was a Low Kick bout. And there were a few others that I forgot.

12. Alexio vs Don Wilson in low kick? You sure? For a title as well?

I'll admit I know little about leg kick disciplines, but Don wilson fighting for a low-kick title?

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yes indeed JCH.

When people think about Don, they think of FCR Kickboxing. But a lot and I do mean A LOT, of his bouts were under Low Kick Rules, or back then known as WKA rules. (and FCR was known as PKA rules)

But yes, Alexio vs Wilson was a Low Kick rule bout for the WKA title.

14. Kiborg

Kiborg Valued Member

I'd say the majority of Don's fights were low kick (WKA) rule bouts.

Alexio vs Wilson was a WKA rule bout. It was Alexio's first ever low kick fight and he was definitely not prepared for it at all.

15. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

some great vids here thanks guys!

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I don't remember ever seeing Don Wison fight with leg kicks. Alexio did mostly fight with leg kicks though. And when his leg got broke in that fight he claimed it was because the canvas was loose and he caught his foot and broke his own leg.[​IMG]

The funny thing was at the end of the fight before that he was asked about who he would fight next and had a couple names thrown at him and he replied that Stan Longinadis didn't desrve to have his name mentioned along side his.[​IMG]