Fantasy stories, comics, etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nachi, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Thanks, guys! Since you so kindle offered yourselves, I will try to figure some convenient way to show you before publishing to the site officially :3
    Although I am going to be super embarassed to show something like that to people I remotely know! :D But I want people to readit, after all, so this will be a first step I suppose :D I have almost half of the first chapter done now.

That is a good tip, too! Thanks :)
    Although I can't easily think of such a word now. Except for the name maybe since it is going to be a story of one boy, basically. Or a man, later.

Lupi Lou and Archibald like this.
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Also happy to be a test reader - I love the fantasy genre!

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Might as well carry on here.

I am raging. I'm currently writing a Police Detective/Superhero thingy. I use a screenplay app on the laptop as thats easiest for me to write. And that one script decides to some reason corrupt itself. I been working on it since April.

Currently scrambling to find a fix. Its an opensource software so hopefully. Someone somewhere has a magoc button.

Otherwise I'll have to do a sit down and re write. 50 pages gones.

4. Nachi

Wow, that is terrible :( You probably shouldn't trust only apps like this without saving copies somewhere. But you probably know that.
    You must be mad. Hopefully you'll be able to recover the file.

Is it your first book? Or do you already have experience? :)

5. Nachi

TITLE.

So I've been thinking. I have ruled the possible titles I came up with to a few, basically a variation of three.

1. Character's name

2. The story will start with the main character growing up in a small tea-growing village in the mountains. Its inhabitants would enjoy a good tea. After a while, the main character will set out on a long journey, but will still return to the warm memories of his village and family and the nice life of growing tea plants and drinking tea. So I was thinking to name the story after this and came up with a few options:

Beyond the fields of tea - I quite like this one as it implies there is something happening after leaving the place the character grew up in, but it is maybe a bit long? And I am not sure if "fields of tea" sound good in English :D

I thought about shortening it then, to only: "Lush tea" - to imply the freshness and bright green on the tea plantage, however, tea probably invokes the drink and therefore this sounds awkward, right?

So to make the name short and still about the tea, as I think the character enjoying a nice cup of tea may appear throughout the story as a tying thing, I could name it: "Green tea". But that isn't very original anymore and doesn't carry the original message I had in mind.

3. Another completely different name that probably hasn't been used for a story (or I didn't google that one) and is more "epic" would be: "Crimson Heavens". I think it could also fit with the story and sounds quite good, but somewhat as you'd expect, maybe.

So I am now basically deciding between these. My favourites are probably "Beyond the fields of tea", or "Beyong the tea fields", whichever sounds better, or probably the "Crimson Heavens".
    Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any opinions. Do the names make sense? Would they pick your interest in reading the story behind? Do you like any one of them and if so, why?
    If you could spare the minute to help me, it would be great ^^

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Let that be a lesson to you from the god of backup drives! :p

7. David Harrison

Any of them could work if the story is good enough. :D

Nachi likes this.
  8. Mushroom

Its just that 1 script. I got 2 on the go. The other one is fine. So no idea.

Nachi likes this.
  9. Nachi

That's not incredibly helpful! :D
    ...The story will be awesome, of course :p:cool: :D Now I need the perfect title to match it :cool:

But I take it they all sound ok in English, at least. :oops:

David Harrison likes this.
  10. David Harrison

Yes, they all sound fine in English. :)

I think "Beyond the Fields of Tea" is probably my pick of the bunch. "Crimson Heavens" could be good too, it is more dramatic so people looking for a bit of action might find that more appealing.

Nachi likes this.
  11. Nachi

Thank you! :)

I think your thought are quite the same as mine. Hmm, still don't know which to pick now, though :D I'll give it more thought.

or... any more opinions? anyone? :oops:

12. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

For me, it depends on what thoughts/feelings you are trying to encourage in your reader(s)

'Beyond the tea fields'
    - For instance, could speak to an anticipation of depth of journey/character growth, beyond what we see/expect in our first encounter.

Conversely, 'Crimson Heavens' has less of a slow burn, and (as @David Harrison suggested) more of dramatic, dare I say it, instant gratification feel about it.

Both of which are perfectly fine, but as they could come with expectations from the audience, would need to match the pacing of the story contained within.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  13. Nachi

Hmm, that is a good point. I didn't really think of the second title that well, but you are right. The Beyond the tea fields as you described it would fit the story better, then. I kind of probably like it more, too, just that "Crimson heavens" could make people more interested in what the story is about. But if it sounds more like short term as you described it, it is probably not what I want.

Thank you for the opinion! :)

Travess likes this.
  14. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Beyond the tea fields is my pick based purely on how it sounds, but as it's been said it depends a lot on the story, and what of the story you want to emphasize

Nachi likes this.
  15. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Absolutely brutal dude. I almost lost my book because my computer spazzed out a while ago - almost. Now I back up in three different places. Hope you get it all back

16. Mushroom

Thanks. I don't know what happened. I was using Trelby, which is an open source screenplay app, scanning around the interwebs, no one seems to have touched the code since 2013. I usually use Everlast as well when I'm on the go, but that's more of a notepad thing. I'm now using Celtx on recommendation by one of my other friends, which is at least online and can also be worked on offline. Managed to port over my surviving script.......no luck on the corrupted one yet though.
    Fingers crossed.

Archibald likes this.
  17. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Good luck with your creative process. I'm a voracious fiction reader (fantasy, space opera, historical mystery, you name it!) so happy to be of service if I can.

You've got me thinking about tea now. I used to enjoy buying those 'flowering' or 'blooming' tea balls from specialty tea stores. I can imagine a book cover with steam unfurling from a tea cup in the shape of a dragon. Also I don't know if it is true that 'Oolong' means 'black dragon' - that's me just hoping your book is on the fantasy track :)

Nachi likes this.
  18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

For a comic, I think "Beyond the Fields of Tea" sounds good. I feel like titles for a graphic novel or comic have a little more leeway in length or meaning than what a book can. It gives off a sense of a journey beyond the starting point, and makes references in book to flashbacks seem appropriate. This also seems like it would be easier to illustrate and hit the reader with than in book form where there's a lot more effort in creating a picture in a reader's mind. I guess I feel like Book = Short Title because of many paragraphs/chapters to explain things vs. Comic = Longer title because instant explanation via illustration.

Checked out the link in your signature showing your artwork. Your stuff looks amazing!

Nachi likes this.
  19. David Harrison

Yep, really good!

Nachi likes this.
  20. Nachi

Thank you :) That is great, I may well just use you guys here :)

I see. I love tea, but don't really buy those blooming ones. I would love to grow my own tea, so I bought seeds and I have a few tea plants on my windowsills now :D However, they seem to be struggling with something, but I have ran out of ideas what could be wrong :( Anyway, I am thinking of using them as reference to draw a young tea plant on the main logo thingy. Your idea with a cup of tea and a steaming drogon sounds pretty good actually and had me thinking. However, although at least one dragon will appear in the story, it will be later on and won't have much to do with tea, so this would not fit too well. And a tea plant would be a better fit overall. But the idea sounds pretty good :)

That is an interesting view, too. I didn't think of stuff that way. Thanks for explaining your point! I am great this title could fit with what you'd expect from a comic. And the more I think about "beyond the tea fields" name, the better I like it. It will sort of emphasise the connection of the main character to his roots, childhood, family, etc. :)

Thank you :oops:

Thank you ^^

Lily likes this.