Fake Tai Chi......

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Su lin, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Sorry,
    just trying to catch up on this thread, but why can we as "true" Tai chi practitioners do something as this does deface our art? Why could we not right emails and/or a petition to where Su lin works asking for them to stop misrepresenting Tai Chi?
    I am unsure of any kind of legal implications this could cause, but I imagine anyone that practices the art should be able to make this point? There is no reason Su Lin should have to be the only one to see this is wrong. Just curious as it does frustrate me when people misrepresent our art (or any other MA for that matter).

2. yeeu kui

yeeu kui Valued Member

re:

One thing councils are good at is wasting vast amounts of money on total bollock brained schemes and courses. They should pay their staff a decent wage and treat them with the respect they deserve. Up the workers!!
    Sorry, rant over. :D

3. yeeu kui

yeeu kui Valued Member

re:

Go on. Let us all know how it went.

4. Wuming

Wuming Bored

Go to the class and ask to push hands or spar with her. Tai Ji Quan is a martial art after all.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I know squat about British law in this area, but I think if you really feel passionate about this and want to do something, you should talk to whoever plans this thing and let them know that they may have a licensing issue on their hands as this woman has admitted she's doing a specific programme and calling it something else to avoid licensing fees.

6. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

From http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0033859.html

7. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks for the info Steve, will have to find out how it relates to the point in question. I think the only person who is bothered about it in the whole council is me, everyone else seems happy to go along with it,but then again I appear to be the only person in the council who does martial arts.
    I may have to go incognito or wearing a disguise or something. :)

9. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Hi Su Lin

I think you'll find that the council has a duty of care toward its employees to ensure that any activity it arranges is safe and properly run. It is also obliged to carry out due diligence checks on anyone teaching, even if it is a current employee. If the teacher is misrepresenting what they are teaching the insurance cover could well be void.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I know this is necromancy but just wanted to update you guys! It looks as though my "peaceful" protest worked, as Tai Chi is no longer on the Active at Work class menu :p

Me 1 - Fake Tai Chi teacher 0

11. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Good work!

12. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Did you consder dressing in yellow Bruce Lee costume, walking in with nunchucks and screaming at her that she was disgracing taiji? Might have worked...

13. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Don't forget not having the lips match the talking! That always has a good effect :D

14. lieqi fan

lieqi fan Valued Member

Very difficult to master though, as it requires simultaneous internal and external breathing through the ears

15. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Umm .. you forgot dropping the buttocks and gripping the earth with your toes.
    You need to follow ALL principles to do miss-lip-synch, otherwise it's only a poor copy. :p

16. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Also, picking up something giant (such as rock or urn) yet made from polystyrene, then smashing it up helps. Also, don't forget to "hm!" with disgusted look.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Well, what about the people ths class was helping?

You 1 - people getting benefit from that class 0

But I'm sure Tai Chi thanks you LOL

18. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

To her original post, it was NOT Tai Chi and the teacher had never even taught it. So she actually helped people that could be injured by an inexp. teacher. Way to go Su!

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It wasn't tai chi, it wasn't helping people.I had proof it wasn't tai chi.

And thanks Taoquan :)

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

And even if the people weren't in danger of injury from whatever they were doing,no one should be teaching something and calling it something it's not.

Good job, Su.