Expectations, Kuden, and the New & Improved Godan Test?!?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bencole, Sep 12, 2005.

1. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Two recent exchanges, one via personal email and one here on MAP, got me thinking about how we allow our own expectations to cloud our judgment of what is really going on....

The first exchange came from someone who was critical of the way people trained in Japan. His email essentially said, "People in Japan don't have any real fighting feeling when practicing. From my fight experience in the big bad cities, these people would get clobbered." He asked for my opinion, which I provided, and then discovered later that he thought I was not answering his question! This was despite the fact that I had provided SEVEN different potential reasons for the reason why people may not want to bring "real fighting feeling" into their dojo time with Soke. I encouraged him to consider that perhaps *HE* was the one who did not understand what was going on, and to instead to look to others for guidance. This would, of course, require that he empty his cup before training in Japan, and be prepared to face some demons in his own perspectives.... (Well, he did ask for my opinion. :rolleyes: )

The second exchange came here on MAP, when we were discussing how Brian McCarthy was critical of the reasons for certain ranking practices by Hatsumi-sensei and held that the current Sakki test was "watered down from its original form" (Note: I'm not trying to open another can of worms here, just use the lessons for a greater discussion).

I stated that despite my extended time with Soke and despite my Japanese ability "after eight years of training with Soke nearly every week, *I* was unable to make an assessment of everything Soke was doing. Nor was I able to understand the reasons *WHY* he was doing what he was doing. I still don't understand everything, but the reasons continue to be revealed the longer I am exposed to him and the longer I train."

IT IS HERE WHERE I HOPE THIS THREAD WILL SPUR CONVERSATION AND THINKING. :love:

A few years ago, Soke decided that he was going to allow the "fifteenth dans" to give the godan test in his presence. When this happened, there was a lot of discussion online. Some said, "I will never take my test from anyone but Soke." Others said, "If Soke trusts these people, then it doesn't matter." Like high school gym class, people were immediately comparing their "thing" with others'.... Some even went so far as to state that the Sakki test given by anyone other than Soke was "an inferior test" than that you would get from Soke.

A friend of mine actually quit his training in the Bujinkan and went to the Genbukan because he was so upset with the entire situation, saying, "The Bujinkan Sakki test has been tarnished by the very fact that Hatsumi-sensei would do this."

I did not pretend to know what was going on inside Hatsumi-sensei's brain when he decided to allow these other parties to give the test, but I trusted my Soke and just kept training. As with everything else that has ever puzzled me, I was certain that the reasons would be revealed if I just trusted my elders and kept an open mind. Nothing in the Bujinkan is as simple as it first seems! :rolleyes:

Recently, in a discussion on Kutaki no Mura, long-time Japan resident Shawn Grey, wrote, "My opinion is that Sensei first mastered moving the candidate out of the way when he was administering the test, and is now experimenting with moving the candidate out of the way when someone *else* is administering the test - since all tests still must be done with Sensei physically present. Has anyone here ever watched *Sensei* when someone else is administering the test, instead of watching the candidate and the person standing behind him? Its interesting." (Bold added)

WOWSER!!! Who would've thunk that?!?

It is only through exposure over time that people can begin to consider ideas that initially escaped them. Shawn's comment could be one of those postulates that are shared over beers in Japan that eventually become "common knowledge" to those living there. But for those of us who are not on the ground in Japan, it requires either (1) keeping an open mind when in Japan or (2) keeping lines of communication open with those who might have insights.

The arts of the Bujinkan are kuden-based. Beers after training are what I call "kuden-time" and I always encourage people to attend such social gatherings after training, such as seminars. Altogether, that's where all these cool snippets and stories are shared! :D

If one really considers what Shawn is saying, all those people who looked at the "new Godan" as a "lesser test" are actually WAY off base..... In my opinion, the "new test" given by the fifteenth dans *MAY BE* even *MORE* difficult than the one that Soke gives alone! The test-taker actually has to feel the sakki from two sources, and one from a further distance! Wow!

What better way to prepare someone for a real battle but to sense danger from a distance, rather than waiting until the attacker is within striking range?!?

The fact that something that was viewed so negatively could become such a positive thing merely illustrates how important it is for us to not act wildly upon our expectations. I feel sorry for those who make judgments (and take irreversible actions) based on expectations without fully understanding the reasons. If we just keep training, things are revealed to us. I encourage everyone to keep an empty glass and to just keep going!

Experience has taught me that anything that is initially perplexing eventually garners a very good answer. Ya know: "WAX ON, WAX OFF"-type stuff! LOL! :D

Cheers!

-ben

2. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

Ben, I'm inclined to agree with Shawn and you regarding what's going on now with the godan test, as Soke has "done stuff to me from a distance" on two different occasions (a Tai Kai and a Daikomyosai) where he'd called me up to demonstrate something and I was engaged with my partner.

And I certainly agree with your overall message: "If we just keep training, things are revealed to us. I encourage everyone to keep an empty glass and to just keep going!"

3. Kurokawa

Kurokawa New Member

"I did not pretend to know what was going on inside Hatsumi-sensei's brain when he decided to allow these other parties to give the test, but I trusted my Soke and just kept training."

I belive few can state they can over look others problems with such a light heart and continue with their own progress in such a seriouse fashion. Your friend will work out his difference with the Bujinkan and he will get that rank if he wants it enough. The Sakki test has got to be a very unique test, only ones who were able to pass it would be able to give the test and if you have two high grade fighters trying the best they can to thwort you it should be a harder test than one coming from a man whos rank means nothing to him, (I feel I should elaborate a little on that last comment) this is a man who is not a rank but the rank, no others can contest this

4. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

this is interesting stuff ,although a newbie to the bujinkan i already gather the idea behind the godan test is to be able to detect a feeling of being approached by a would be assailent with either killer intent or the intent to cause serious harm ,if this is the case then it shouldnt make any difference who performs the attack as long as this is the feeling, and is really interesting the view that soke deliberately changed this so it would seem that there were two seperate intents to be detected ,and from different distances also .wow ,this is hard to contemplate as a beginner!!!!!

5. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

would you go as far as to say its all about soke? the other people involved are irrelevent including the testee(i made that word up and it fits with bens balls,lol)

it is soke who is doing everything, if the fail either soke stuffed up , didn't want to pss them or they were not plugged in ie. bang as hard as you like on the keyboard but if the power is off....

i hope i can reach yon dan in the availible time, to be in sokes presence. if he starts administering it from his house, that will be hard going,lol.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  6. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Only Soke ?

I don't think anyone could say....

Clearly some Fifteenth dans are "learning the ropes" about Sakki. This is precisely what Soke himself has been doing for the past thirty years or so.

But Soke is currently "learning" at another level. He's still training, in this way, imo.

Whether Soke is "the only one who counts" in the equation cannot be stated with any confidence. Perhaps Soke is trying to "amplify" the Sakki being put out by the others. Perhaps he is trying to "dull" the Sakki. Maybe he is trying to "cross the streams" with the other person to see if the person sitting there spontaneously combusts! :D LOL!

We honestly do not know! :D

But, imo, it makes sense that Soke is "playing with things" from afar.

-ben