exertion migraine?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Southpaw535, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

got back from MT yesterday and boom! migraine. first i've had in fact. went away after i threw up a couple times and i was wondering if it could be MT? thought i'd got my mums virus but im ok today save a very light headache and occasional light naseau. anyway last night was quite rough as im usually knackered by the end but was made to do 100 press ups (i say 100 but i had to do 60 on my knees. embarrassing.) also im not eating before i go because i fear feelihg ill since the cardio at the start pushes me hard. so could iit be my new "active" evenings and a lack of eating property that caused it?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's because you don't ate, it's happened to me before.
    eat.
    or maybe you're pregnant, yay! :D

3. Southpaw535

thanks. never look this stuff up on the net, apparently i've had a stroke :rolleyes:

4. Shuto

Shuto Valued Member

Lack of food due to delaying a meal which is usually accompanied by physical exertion has given me a migraine on more than one occasion.

5. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Exertion headache will hit you while doing the excersice's not after, so its possible not eating that caused it. Try eating half a meal on beforehand and take the rest after.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

or eat earlier and let your body digest the food first

7. Southpaw535

alright thanks guys. I'm feeling a lot better this evening so im pretty confident it was something to do with last night. As a very basic quesiton how long should i leave between eating and going to mt? I get home from school about half 3 and have MT at 6

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have started eating at about 5.45 and going to training for 7.45 .I just have a grilled chicken breast with some veg and some noodles. I find it harder going straight from work with no food and eating at 10pm.

Sounds like it wasn't a migraine- I get them and a defining feature is a nagging,pretty nasty pain in the temple and sickness/light sensitivity. If you keep getting it though get to thy doctors.

Do you drink enough water during the day/training?

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It depends on you - you need to experiment. I have real problems if I eat too close to training, so I have a banana (or some cottage cheese) and a pineapple and protein shake about 2 hours beforehand and that keeps me going.

Su Lin is right to ask about how much you drink, not drinking enough can lead to severe headaches.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I find eating before training and if I only have a little bit having a protein shake straight after training helps ,especially if I am training the day after too.

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Migraines are pretty subjective - vomitting can be caused by a migraine, as can the things su mentioned.

However the main one I think in your case is dehydration -not eating will make you feel terrible but the main aspect I would say is dehydration bearing in mind a lot of food you eat has a huge amount of water in it.

Make sure you first eat a solid meal before you got and a recovery meal when you get home, also make sure you we well hydrated and keep hydrated throughout the class.

However soon before - an hour conservatively. Keep sipping water as well even if you dont feel thirsty - thirst is actually a sign of Being deyhdrated rather than nearly.

12. Southpaw535

got rid of the panda pics lou? I'm guessing it was a migraine because thats what i was told and i've heard they can be round the eyes. Admittedly i freaked out when i had pains behind my eyes :p. dehydration was another thing i was wondering, i was sweating like mad when i finished yesterday and downed a litre of water in near one go so i think i might have been a tiny bit dehydrated

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

The symptoms are different for each person often, they are generally considered to be a serotonergic control disorder. It's not often males get them but it can obviously happen. Often normal painkillers don't get rid of them, they don't with me anyway,have to have seratonin receptor antagonist tablets (aka zolmitriptan) :(

14. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

If you sweat a fair bit, like I do:eek:, then you really need to be careful to take on enough liquids when training hard. I drink 500mls about half an hour before traing and 1L during, and usually close to another 1L in the half an hour afterwards.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

That won't help at all!

My suggestion- try and drink water or juice throughout the day where you can.I often drink nearly 2 litres before training.If you need to take some Gatorade or something to training with you, I usually take one along and then drink plenty when you have finished training too.

If you are training more and doing something like muay thai you really need to start thinking about nutrition and hydration :)

16. Southpaw535

its something im going to monitor now, I'll have a word with my instructor on friday and get him to let me drink a bit more often, normally we have to wait for him to tell us we can but I think he can make an exception for little me :D

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

If you have drunk enough during the day you should be able to manage drinking less in class.I only take the odd sip during a session.

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I finish with a chocolate milk and protein shake, because it's a good excuse to have chocolate (and it seems to help with the DOMS)!

19. Southpaw535

okay edit for my old post. "I will monitor my drinking throughout the day"

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Good stuff :D