'Essential batto & Kenjutsu: Killing Arts Of the Japanese Sword'

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dead_pool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Gendai hip throw?

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

A hip throw that you did recently?

:D

3. SASchofield

SASchofield Valued Member

By that I meant "the norm", the way in which western ju jutsu schools seem to do it.
    Obviously this isn't the correct term - if there even is one - it was my attempt at describing something.

I'd ask you to stop nit-picking but it's quite evident that you get a jolly from it.
    You've clearly taken a dislike to me Scott Halls but that's ok, the feeling is a mutual one.

I was responding to a question by Bruce, he found it helpful enough and didn't feel the need to turn Inspector Collumbo on me, perhaps if you regard politics so highly you should behave accordingly.

4. SASchofield

SASchofield Valued Member

Now, before we have a spat on the internet, save your typing.
    I will no longer respond as you have agreed to meet my sensei this saturday.

I needn't justify myself to you.

5. ScottUK

Not at all, don't get your panties in a twist. As a budoka, I would've thought you had thicker skin than that.

I was purely curious as to why you refer to O-goshi as a gendai hip throw as O-goshi as it is performed there is virtually identical to the judo version - also a 'gendai hip throw'.

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Fair enough...and I think you will also agree that the respondant has a point.
    Fact is that any reasonable person would pick-up on the obvious enjoyment taken at picking and poking at a person while keeping him on the defensive.

I appreciate what you are saying about growing a thicker skin. I just wonder if people know in advance that they will need that thicker skin even as they interact among people who are suppose to be comrades. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

7. ScottUK

Perhaps I should've extended my question from:

"Gendai hip throw?"

to

"Why is this version of O-goshi called a gendai hip throw when there is already an identical gendai hip throw with the same name?"

I forget people aren't mind-readers. ;)

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

We aren't comrades Bruce. We are just people with a similar interest. To be honest if you have a thin skin then martial arts isn't the place for you. Proper training is the death of ego not the enhancement. Hell I've seen Koyo after 40 odd years hard training make a complete mess of a technique infront of an audience and laugh at himself. That's because he knew the truth. Real training has no room for politics or personalities. SAScholfield needs to learn the truth that there no place for flattery or tolerance of nonsense if he really wants to do things properly. His instructor isn't there to be his friend or comrade. He is there to make sure that he trains properly and sincerely. If the instructor is not doing that then neither will his students. The only respect you should ever look for is being taken seriously in the training hall. When someone is training with you at their full capacity and giving it their everything then that is respect. That is a comrade.

The Bear.

9. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

What on earth would make Shane think we would be supposed to be his comrades? You have read the thread, yeah? There isn't much support for the system he trains in, to the point that the head instructor is seeking alternate training...

10. Bruce W Sims

Yes...I agree.... on principle, I agree. I also think that, to some extent, the attitude or approach that you describe is used as a kind of excuse for folks to conduct themselves in ways that they would not conduct themselves in common polite society. I would put this rationale right up there with such disclaimers as "well, I was just being Honest!".

There are times when a kind of "tough love" is called for. If one makes that sort of approach common practice outside the actual NEED for such an approach, I would begin to question the motive of the person providing this "service". I remember seeing much the same thing over on BULLSHIDO and even some of the folks there were honest enough to own that they got caught-up in picking ("pecking"?) at a commonly identified outsider, simply because they could. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah but that's not what's happening here ... despite your over-developed sense of persecution.

The Bear.

12. ScottUK

As your original comment was aimed at me, I will assume this one is too.

I can assure you that I behave no differently on here that I do in real life, I offer praise and assistance where appropriate, indifference to a big chunk of reality and abuse/derision where necessary.

My conduct throughout my adult life has been reflective. You get what you give. It keeps the idiots at bay and the people I call friends quite close.

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah I actually tone things down here. I am alot less tolerant in the real world.

The Bear.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He's right.

He hides the salt and everything if you go out to eat with him, poor waitresses don't know if they are coming or going.

15. Dean Winchester

Mr Schofield,

While I can appreciate that meaning in the written word can be hard to convey at times I think it a little foolish for you to throw a tantrum over two words.

You have no real idea what the intent was behind those yet you choose to respond rather negitively to someone who is putting themselves out for your teacher.

Now you might wonder what that has to do with you? Well a fair bit in someways.

The question was understandable when you consider what you posted. Even if you did take offence or thought Scott had ulterior motives do you think the above is the best way to handle it?

Think about what Mr Halls has said at various points in this thread and what he has done.

Do you really think his actions have been that of someone "nitpicking" for a jolly?

16. ScottUK

We got trolled. ;)

17. Dean Winchester

Meh.

I think in this thread and due to Mr McCarnun's situation it is worth taking each post at face value.

I would hope his student isn't trying to cause waves for him, whether by honestly ranting or deliberately trolling this particular thread.

Certainly if it is the latter you have to wonder why it is being done.

18. Bruce W Sims

Perhaps a case might be made.

Not altogether sure about the "over-developed sense of persecution" part.

What I know is that folks here definitely react when they feel that they are not being dealt with in a cordial, or collegial manner and they certainly make it known when this happens. I have also heard the case made on other forums that people are expected to conduct themselves in a tolerant manner.

As I write this I recall a rather recent study by one of the Universities in the US. In that study people who were invited to impart a strike to another person of a particular level of intensity and then receive the same level of intensity, uniformly reported that they struck "lighter" and received a "heavier" strike in return, even though measurement indicated this was not the case. If I had to draw a conclusion I would think its safe to state that maybe Humans minimize what they "dish-out" and "maximize" what they take in. That said, maybe it would be fair to think that erring on the side of going lightly may be worth considering.

BTW: I was wondering if there was some small bit of Pride in your statement that you don't work to "hold-back" (IE. "...a lot less tolerant") as much away from this setting....? What I mean is that I wonder if you garner some bit of satisfaction knowing that you could restrain yourself and can enjoy choosing not to. When I visited Queensland, Down-Unda, I occassionally ran into this attitude among the odd male resident. It was considered a very Macho position, as I remember. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Oh Bruce, spare me the cereal box psychology. Honestly the faux-intellectual stance is getting wearing.

The Bear.

20. ScottUK

Fret not, little dude - I won't judge the teacher by the student.