eskrima (hubud)

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by parrot1, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Mine is "Belly Tuck" :D :D :D

Regards

Peter

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Atn Diega Vega

Sorry about that. Its been a while since Danny mentioned Hubud/Hubad, and I couldn't remember all the details.

Also, I don't think Danny actually said which dialect/language it came from. He just said "In our tongue, it means undress".

Bill

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hubud-Hubad = Get tangled while you undress:D

4. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi Pat,

>Hubud-Hubad = Get tangled while you undress<

Ahh, we've all done that ;-)

Bill

5. parrot1

parrot1 New Member

i post questions on bobby tobaodas web site and he answers questions.no problems.been lazy.bad spelling hes never mentioned.why cant i just ask eskrima questions with out hassle.im just trying to learn.

6. Pat OMalley

People are genuinly trying to help you, even correcting spelling mistakes is educational regarding the art, as from one dialect to another these mispelling could lead you in to a lot of trouble.

Don't get up tight when corrected after all you do wish to find out about the art and find out about the Real FMA.

Do you want everyone to just humour you or would you prefer the real answers.

Best regards

Pat

7. parrot1

parrot1 New Member

the real answers.thats what im after.im into the styles off eskrima.but cant train in them all.and like to know how they differ.

8. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

No need for apology. I didn't mean to sound so abrupt. It was the Canadian in me attempting to use irony. (which one is the "irony" smiley?)

Though, if you do go to most places in the Philippines and mention that you want to learn "hubud", they'll more than likely take you to a hostess bar.

To add to parrot1's question, in my opinion, only a minority of systems here in the PHilippines employs hubud or something like it as a training tool. Many systems don't have empty hands at all. Other systems have adopted foreign arts like karate or kung fu or even western boxing as their empty hands approach. Some systems use a training method called "tapi tapi" and it looks something like hubud, though not as defined or complicated as some of Guro Dan's hubud drills can be at times.

FYI, the use of english can be a tricky political question at times here in the Philippines, both on a broad national level and on a personal level. To many tagalog (also called "Filipino") speakers, english is a remnance of our colonial past and should not be one of our national languages (along with tagalog). The laws in our legislature are written in english and it was only a few years ago that a bill was introduced that would allow tagalog to be used as well. Education is conducted in english for the maths and sciences. (Mostly because tagalog often doesn't have words for what they're discussing. Or in the case of biology or social sciences, the tagalog word often has vulgar overtones.) In many areas where tagalog isn't the main language, -- the Visayas, Cordilleras, and Illocano areas, they prefer to use english, often times because they don't want tagalog imposed upon them. For the most part, it has become our lingua franca. On a personal level, people who speak mostly english, or "taglish" (tagalog plus english) are seen as "sosyal" (social - high society) and snobs. As someone who is obviously of Filipino blood, I often feel resentment (or laughter) when my tagalog isn't proper and I used english words instead to try to explain what I just said in tagalog.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

there are a hundred different styles and systems (and sub-styles and sub-systems) of escrima/ eskrima. there are many subtle differences and concentrations and specializations of each. even more important, it is shrouded in much mystery and, even worse, politics.

i quote my teacher in these things: "generally speaking, they're all the same"

10. Drake

Drake New Member

Hey

Well, tonight we actually went over a lock coming from the hubud lubud drill. I talked to my Tuhon(instructor/teacher if you are wondering what that means.), and I asked him about the spelling of the hubud drill. He told me the full name, Higot Hikot Hubud Lubud. We usually just refer to it as just hubud. I've been searching through multiple sources and came across a website with tons of definitions.
    It gave me the following definitions for Higot Hikot Hubud Lubud.
    Higot - To tie-up one's opponent.
    Hikot - A light tap.
    Hubud - Traditionally, this trapping drill is referred to as Hubud Lubud, or literally "tie-up and untie" and is used in the Filipino Martial Arts performed with and without weapons, designed to increase coordination, timing and awareness, in a repetitive, cyclic manner. The full title of this drill is Hubad Higot Lubad (To tie, wipe and untie).
    Lubud - To blend.
    All of those definitions come from
    http://www.sageartsstudio.com/student_section/glossary/

I am not an expert on any of this. I am just telling you what I've been told and what I've found when I was researching this. You can take this however you want. I am very new to martial arts. At the same time though, it has become an enormous part of my life, one which I hope to expand indefinately.

Parot1, when you say your interested in the specific styles and how they differ, are you implying that you are willing to travel wherever to train in them? Are you going to stay in your current area and find a school nearby? Once you have answered those, ask yourself this. Are you only interested in purely Escrima/Eskrima? Would you like to do anything else? I may or may not be able to help you after you have answered these. You definately need to figure out what you want to do before you start though.

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

We had an interesting experience years ago. A Filipino guy was in Eskrima class with us. Really sharp. But when the teacher said we were going to do hubud and then go to the punyo he started looking a little, well, odd. Kind of like he wasn't sure whether to back away towards the door or clean his ears out and make certain he'd heard right.

In the local dialect where he came from "hubud" means "take off your clothes" as in untying a sarong. And "punyo" means "penis".... :confused:

12. ritche-stl

ritche-stl Valued Member

hello everybody here in MAP. This is my first post. Just want to contribute something on the above FMA terms. By the way my FMA background is mostly Inosanto blend and a little bit of Balintawak. I encounter these terms quite frequently in my Inosanto Blend class.

Higot (in bisaya/cebuano ONLY) – a verb which means to tie or bundle something
    Hikot - also bisaya/cebuano word which means the same as Higot

Hubad (not hubud) (in tagalog/filipino) if used as a verb - means to undress ; if used as an adjective – means naked
    Hubad – (in cebuano) – means to untie or untangle (as in to untie/untangle (“hubad”) a bundle of firewood) or to decipher/interpret (as in to “hubad” a riddle or a puzzle)

Lubad (not Lubud) (in cebuano only) – means to fade (like when put a bleach in a colored shirt)

The way the drill is being done in Inosanto Blend, I would probably interpret it as “Tie, untie and blend” drill and should be spelled in Cebuano way as “Higot Hubad Lubad”.

By the way, I also saw in one of the Villasin balintawak sites that they have a drill called “Hubad Lubod”. Since Balintawak came from Cebu, I would think the terms (in cebuano) would mean :

Hubad – (verb) to untie/untangle
    Lubod – (noun) a messy/tangled like a fishing line / (verb) untangle

So for me their drill “Hubad Lubod” can be translated as “Tangle and Untangle” drill.

Hopefully many will find my post helpful and will help clear-up the confusion on these terms.

13. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

I feel your pain Diego :) .

14. Pat OMalley

As you have mentioned before you live in the UK, more specifically Yorkshire.

I live there too. Now for Doce Pares in the Yorkshire area you will have to speak to my dear wife Lucy who heads up our Doce Pares division.

Doce Pares is a group that has many styles (12 specifically hence the name) and covers many areas within the FMA, solo and double weapons, Espada 'y' Daga (my favorite by the way), long medium and close range fighting and much more besides. It is a great style as are the others. And it is in your area, Yorkshire.

Balintawak used to be part of the Doce Pares group (before they had their name) and are one of the 12 styles that were taught within the group under GM Ancion Bacon. It is a predominantly sinlge stick, close range combat style and is very effective at this range, although the style may vary slightly from instructor to instructor as many styles do. There is a Balitawak guy who is very good but an hours drive from Leeds. So not to far to travel

As for the Serrada style of GM Cabales, as I have said no one in the UK teaches the full system, the nearest similar style to this would be the Inayan Serrada Eskrima Style but this style also covers many other areas. Some JKD Kali Instructors will know portion of the Cabales Serrada Escrima system system, but not all of it. So the best thing to do is to wait until someone like LabanB has another seminar with Emanual Hart (top Inayan Serrada guy) In Newcastle, not to far to travel from Yorkshire either.

My advice would be rather than trying to find out what is different about the styles (they have more similarities than differences, all real FMA styles do) go and try them out, any instructor in the UK worth their salt will be more than happy to let you try it out.

At the end of the day unless your are willing to travel and go see these people you will never really know which one is right for you, and if you are not willing to travel at all the chances are you will never know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Pat

15. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Emanuel Hart

LabanB has another seminar with Emanual Hart (top Inayan Serrada guy) In Newcastle<

Or indeed a first one!!

The two I have tried to set up have had to be cancelled due to a variety of problems. I'm hoping to host Emanuel next year, mid year some time, but details have to be worked out.

Bill

16. dyak_stone

dyak_stone Valued Member

our wonderful islands' dialects

This is classic. :D ... But what does it mean now when I say that I often prefer to spar with a less than 3 inch punyo, or with no punyo at all? Didn't we have a thread a while back discussing "preferred punyo length"? :eek:

This phenomenon of different dialects having giving different meanings to words in our linguistics is quite common. In Tagalog, ibon means "bird". In Cebuano, it means "ant". In another dialect, it means "egg".

But, I digress...

So is there a set pattern to hubud?

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

errr... i think you got it the other way around... actually the word is "langgam" which means "ant" in tagalog and "bird" in cebuano. i know how to speak both fluently.

18. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hubod drills are absent or minimal in some Largo Mano eskrima styles.

The longest bridge in the Philippines is the bridge linking the Tagalog-speaking province of Bulacan to the province of Pampanga. You carry an "itlog" (Tagalog:egg) from the Bulacan side and by the time it reaches Pampanga it becomes a bird.

(This is a joke, of course. Bird in Tagalog is "Ibon". In Pampanga, "Ebon" means egg.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  19. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Red

Is that Balut? :D :D :D

Hope all is well with you.

Best regards

Peter

20. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

For those of you who don't live in the Philippines, Bulacan and Pampanga actually share a border. Neither is an island. That "bridge" (viaduct) is more of a raised highway that goes mostly over land, except for a few small rivers. (This changes in the rainy season though)

And yes, it is the longest bridge in the Philippines, well,... except for the San Juanico Bridge that connects Leyte to Samar Island. :eek: Which is actually the longest bridge. (Redbagani, obviously not enough sleep from too much partying with your artista crowd.) :cool:

Samar is notable in Filipino history for the Balangiga Massacre, or as we call it in the Philippines, the Balangiga Victory. Filipino villagers, armed with bolos, attacked and defeated a company of American soldiers that were occupying the town. The only weapons mentioned for the Filipinos were bolos and batons. It may or may not have involved FMA. There's no way of knowing. Also, there was no mention of hubud techniques. :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005