Escapes from chokes

Discussion in 'MMA' started by pitchblack70, Nov 15, 2003.

1. pitchblack70

pitchblack70 New Member

Just recently started Sports Jujitsu, and needed (desperately!) to know the following:

Are there any escapes from a submission choke in the following two scenarios?

1) You on stomach, the opponent on your back
    2) You on back, the opponent on your stomach

While I'm at it, are there any really good books on the topic of grapping that I should invest in?

Thanks a million,

--Janet

(both with the opponent on top of you

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

quite a few actually, and multiple chokes from each of those positisons.

Could you describe it a little more?

where are the arms, the feet, the weight. Both people.

As a general rule, get control of something and roll.

Of course everything is more complicated then that ;)

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yoda always recommends the Fighters Notebook, I wish I could force myself to spend the dinero.

As a decent and cheaper temporary substitute try Submission Fighting Techniques by Steven S Iverson (I should have shares in this thing the amount of times I've recommended it). It's an excellent strating point, full of very useful stuff.
    A review is here:

http://www.martialartsadvice.com/cat.php?cat=4

5. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Just looked at the Fighters notebook link and it looks pretty good...

Has anyone actually read this book or own it and how useful do you think it is?

Looks like it would make a good christmas pressie :D

btw how much is 80 dollars in sterling?

thanks.

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've owned it for a good few years - it rocks!

$80 = £54

7. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Hmmm....bit pricey.....but... it's on the list!

Cheers mate :D

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

don't worry about escaping your first priority would be to defend your neck because a good choke will definitely force anyone to tap. escaping a rear naked choke would be to get the hooks out and turn towards the side where the elbow is pointing. for chokes when you are mounted if to tuck in your chin and try getting a knee in or whatever way to break your opponents balance in order for you to dismount him

9. Jim

Jim New Member

There he goes, flogging that bloody notebook again. He should be made to disclose that he has shares in it... :D

10. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

hmm on your back...if he doesn't have good hooks on you you could roll him over/ off balance him to get into side control or back into the guard...but that's just what i've learned! and i'm still a newbie rather at BJJ so i'd leave this to the Grappler PROS to explain!

11. Jay

Jay New Member

Situation 1) If you end up on your stomach with someone trying to take your back, turtle up - don't let him get his hooks in and protect your neck (use your hands and tuck your chin down). Sit it out for a while they may get fed up (as if !). If you cant get them off your back turn into them - try and pull guard - if you cant pull guard and end up mounted, well that's not too good - but it's better than someone taking your back.
    Situation 2) Protect your neck ! Try to prevent him getting a high mount by blocking his knees with your elbows. Bump your hips and turn to your side and try the 'elbow - knee' escape.

The best advice is to NOT let yourself be set up for a choke, as once it is sunk, 9 times out of 10 you will be tapping or napping :D

Renzo's new book on ju jitsu is pretty good.

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931229082/002-8333866-3037668?v=glance

Excellent book. Not too expensive with plenty of very useful techniques, all explained in great detail with good photos (despite the 2 gracies looking similar, haha). I have got a lot from this book and it even has a good introduction to BJJ and submission fighting in general.

OMG, that fighters note book looks amazing. I hate you now because I know I will get it even though it's mad expensive. I have this obsession with buying MA books. I've got probably around 30 at the moment which isn't loads but I've only been doing MA for just over a year, and there are shedloads of other books on my list. Can't get enough :love:

13. WolverineGuy

WolverineGuy New Member

That Gracie book is great...as a matter of fact, that whole SERIES is fantastic.

Check these out as well:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-7114283-3775162?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-7114283-3775162?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I own two out of three of those, plus the one mentioned above. The only one I don't own is Submission Grappling by Royler...but it is a superb text on no-gi grappling. Carlson Gracie is coming out with one on advanced techniques in a few months as well. The Passing the Guard book is not a Gracie book, but is great nonetheless.

14. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

I just got the Fighter's Notebook delivered today. The book looks REALLY promising. IMO it's worth the money. On page A86, about wraping the hands, it says "The more protected a fighter's hands, the greater his ability to cause dain bramage." Hehehe, what a line for the typo.:D

15. Jim

Jim New Member

That wasn't a typo, it's just that the writer had just had it done to him 5 times in a row... ;)

16. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Hehe, yeah he probably does havehis lightbulb a little loose. The book is excelent for any MA, any sub fighter (MMA, Judo, Vale Tudo, etc.) should have it, and any non specific sub fighter (TKD, Karate, Muay Thai, etc.) should get it to see some aspects of ground fighting. The book covers alot of stuff and for the most part manages to remain non specific as to the style in use. I'm satisfied that my $80 is pretty well spent.:D