Equivalent of Bowing?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Anomandaris, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

I was wondering, is there an equivalent in european styles to the act of bowing?

and if there is what is it and how often was it used?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

shaking hands i guess (and last i checked people do bow in western society)

3. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

I think it's the hand shake indeed, since the bowing as we know it from MA is not the religious type as we would be used to in the "western" type of churches. ...

4. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I think a military salute is the closest thing in Western martial arts to the bow in Eastern martial arts. Both symbolize mutual respect. Both demonstrate rank and status, with the junior party starting (bowing or saluting first) and the senior responding. It is considered rude and inappropriate to refuse to respond to either (either refuse to return a bow or refuse to return a salute). In Western militaries, even adversaries will salute after a confrontation ends, or when meeting outside of wartime.

5. savatedorset

savatedorset New Member

salute

in savate the alternative to bowing is a salute from the chest to the side with the right arm/fist

6. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

I actually meant in traditional WMA styles...not modern life.

but yes I'd imagine the salute more than the handshake as that is more of a friendly greeting than a sign of respect. Bowing in Western culture was also usually done only in situations where you offered your utmost respect such as to the Pope or a King etc.

7. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Bowing. Shaking hands. A variety of salutes - even modern fencing has a salute.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Boxing also has a touching of gloves. I think of that as analogous. Savate has the salute. Fencing has various salutes, depending on the school I believe. But a hilt to head salute is pretty typical.

9. McClanahan

McClanahan New Member

Hello,
    Everytime before a wrestling match you shake hands. This parallels bowing before a bout of kumite.

McClanahan :)

10. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

WMA is so much...
    There is no description or mentioning in the manuals (the ones I've read that are 400 - 700 years old), but it's a common belief that the military salute of modern times originates from the jousting-days in medieval europe, perhaps as old as the plate helmet with visir. (It is believed that the modern salute comes from the knights opening the visir and holding it open, so that their adversaries knew who they were facing.)

11. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

The founders of Japan's system the Ogasawara line describe it as propriety. So I would not be too precise to think that it just involves bowing. We have to study deportment, methods of sitting, the works. I suppose the only equivelant in the West is maintained in royal connections as fuedal history was not so long.

12. Giver

Giver New Member

Um, I'm pretty sure that western society still bows. Just in a different way. They're legs may not be as rigid, or have a strict type of bow or whatever, but they may take off their hats in greeting, or may place their hand in front to bend. Shaking hands would be just as good I suppose.

13. Topher

Topher allo!

Shaking hands i guess. And touching gloves is quite common on Boxing.

Anyone know why the touching gloves thing started? Maybe because that couldn't shake hands in boxing gloves. :confused:

14. entropy

entropy New Member

bowing

Terry Glovers "English Combat" training manual has a sketch of a cavalier looking type bowing. There are descriptions of how from the bow he can see behind him, pivot and draw his sword etc. Might be worth a look if your into that sort of thing....

15. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Probably the hand shake or both fighters lightly hitting the each others fists at the beginning of a bout... like in MT tournaments.

16. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Typically at least in the 1800s officers would salute eachother by holding their blade verticle in front of their face (you've probably seen it). Also in some duelling like with rapiers, sabres and so on, duellists would start with their blades touching out of respect or so I am led to believe.

17. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Salute

In the 1790's an old Scottish stickfighting manual refers to the 'Salute of the 5 Guards' in which the two opponents go through a short series of set piece moves involving the different stick guards. (There's also the shaking of hands while keeping a close eye on your opponent!)

This 'salute' was performed before the begining of their stick/sword fights.

Louie

18. Capt Keonig

Capt Keonig New Member

Before we start the stick fighting class, all students tap their stick to the instructor's as a sign of respect, I guess that's like bowing.