elbows & knees

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by franksv, Mar 29, 2006.

1. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Hello

As there is sooo much material covered in tkd,I was wondering how many of you folks drill elbow&knee strikes in your regular routines?I think its easy to get caught up in the kicks,blocks,strikes,sparring & forms etc.My routine is already an hour and a half long and I struggle to do these,but I think they are great assets that can be easily overlooked.How many of you folks take the time to practice/drill these short range attacks?

This is a question for tkd folks,mods please don't move this to general area as I am interested in how other tkd people view this.

Frank

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well it sounds like you need to maximize training time, focus on what you feel you need most, somehow i think drilling elbows and knees falls 1 or 2 notches above "forms" but thats just me. if your looking for consistancy with close range combat, cross train.

3. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I like how you put NOT covered in tkd :D .See thats just funny to me cuz my old instructors pretty much covered most of the stand up game pretty well in my early training.From clinching to kicking.I sometimes wonder what is being taught out there these days.Tkd has a lot more to it than most folks think,it must not be trained that way anymore.

I put elbows&knees a few nothces above spinning or ariel kicks but thats just me.

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

5. I use knees and elbows more than anything else in bag, BOB or self-defence work. Simply because they're quite difficult to use correctly in an art that's primarily long distance. Plus it's knees and elbows I'm using in real scraps.

6. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

In my expeience knees and elbows tend to feature more in training from 1st dan and above.Its because of the competiton focus of most schools nowadays that knees and elbows are being forgotten. IMHO

7. franksv

franksv Valued Member

That makes a lot of sense.My first school was not competition focused at all and we did a lot of the tech that are a no no for that scene.My second school was more comp focused and I never really saw those practical techs again until I hit first dan.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Second that.

I also have difficulty coming up with good drills for elbows/knees without access to a punch bag. I drill them myself as I have a bag at home, but the hall I use at the moment can't use a hanging bag. I may have to just invest in a freestanding one, but can't see them being too happy as I drag it across their nice floor each night. Scraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape...

If anyone has any suggestions for elbow/knee drills on round pads or kickshields I'd greatly appreciate them.

Mitch

9. TheMadhoose

mitch try having someone holding a kick sheild then have the one working grasping the holders nack and firing in the knees

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Thanks Madhoose, I'd thought of a similar idea with a round pad, grabbing the holders hands and draggin it down to knee. Yours is a better simulation of the real thing though, I'll try it.

Any more anyone?

Mitch

11. There's a few I use.

Holding the kickshield low. Make a feint attack with your hands [Or even grab the holders hair or ears with their permission and practice swift upwards knee strikes into the kickshield. Aiming for either the groin, or for the pressure points on the inner and outer thigh.

A very important one as far as self-defence goes, practice going from your hands low, or entirely slack and practicing quick, tight horizontal elbow strikes. This drill is for the 'face to face' stand-off in which you can deliver a quick and unpredictable elbow into your opponents floating rib.

And for the handpads I practice the famous Jab-Cross-Elbow combination.

12. TheMadhoose

what so famous about this jab cross elbow combo then ?

13. It's just a commonly used combo.

14. TheMadhoose

15. franksv

franksv Valued Member

The elbow was always my favorite way to break boards.0 pain :D .

16. Kickboxing.

17. TheMadhoose

Elbow breaks are a girly technique.

18. TheMadhoose

not in any kick boxing event we have been part of

19. What do you expect me to say? That's you? We use double punch and elbow when on the bags and dummies. Obviously you don't.

20. TheMadhoose

well we use palm strikes, long fists and finger strikes on pads and bags whats your point