Elbow protection/pads for sparring

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by rudai123, Aug 29, 2013.

1. rudai123

rudai123 New Member

Does anyone wear elbow protection while sparring? If so, do recommend a type and brand?
    Most of the folks at my dojo wear metal masks (as do I) for face protection. Hitting the mask with 5 ounce gloves is no problem. But without elbow protection of some sort, elbows to the face are not going to happen.

Cheers

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I have never heard of wearing metal masks for anything other than weapon related arts - that is a new one on me!

BTW - I am in MD as well!

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't spar with elbows - it aint worth the inevitable trip to the ER. I'll flick the elbow in the clinch to show my opponent I could have landed it, but I'd never throw one, even gently.

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I throw them to the body/legs when we're on the ground in MMA, but even then it's just light.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Hadn't heard of using a face mask but this sounds not too bad, sort of like wearing one in Ice Hockey to protect yourself (if a goalie, if previously injured etc). Interesting.

It surprises me that elbows are not used/thrown much (or a way determined to allow them to be thrown safely). I was told that in Thai boxing kicks and punches didn't really mean much, that elbows and knees were the REAL scoring techniques. I would bet that if you talk to some thai guys you will find out some ways to train elbows safely.

Worth a look! :' D

LFD

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

If it helps we throw elbows and knees on thai pads but when sparring it is always very light contact.
    Cant afford to get cut or a concussion before a fight.

8. holyheadjch

You can't throw an elbow safely because any elbow that lands has the potential to split the skin.

I suppose you could wear face masks/helmets etc etc like they wear in the hardcore self defence schools, but you don't tend to see that in normal Muay Thai gyms in the UK.

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

We don't wear elbow protection, but then we do the elbows against the pads. Anything other than a massively pulled elbow to the face even when wearing headgear is a show stopper.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Seconded.

Exactly the same as in my classes.

11. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

No, it's a terrible idea, shots that connect to the front part of the face cage are going to impart a lot more angular momentum to your brain than if you weren't wearing one.

12. holyheadjch

Well, I guess if even the hardcore self defence folks wont spar with elbows, then you really shouldn't spar with elbows.

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Only area we allow elbows in sparring is to the body. It's very easy to split someones face open with an elbow. It's happened once just from regular sparring with no elbows, just from accidents where people have clashed. Imagine going at it with elbows as well? Pads or not, to the face is not a good idea. People still have to go about their usual life routines of work etc.

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Fixed that for you. :)

15. Late for dinner

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJlvgWCyO0"]Muay Thai Elbow and Knee Sparring with Chase "The Weapon" Walden at the HTC in High Gear- Warm up - YouTube[/ame]

It seems that some people have tried to find ways to fit this in. Interesting that , from what I read sparring in MT is often light to avoid injuries and may even include the Thai equivalent of kata to allow more dangerous techniques to be worked. MT guys, can you confirm any/all of this?

LFD

16. holyheadjch

Sparring is as light at the two people agree it to be, but you can't spar light with elbows.

Are you talking about shadow boxing?

17. Late for dinner

Sorry, my sentence was a bit rambling there... :' P

I meant to say that sparring is light in comparison to fighting for safety purposes. Training might include other things eg kata (as well as bag work etc) to help the fighter keep skilled at the dangerous moves. This was what I was told but I wanted someone who knows to correct me if it's not correct.

The other thing was, and again I would be happy yo be told otherwise if incorrect, but punches/kicks aren't the real scoring techniques in MT as much as elbows and knees. True? False? Inquiring minds want to know ;' )

LFD

18. holyheadjch

http://liverkick.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=777

But I've never seen a MT kata.

19. Late for dinner

Thank you very much for that HHJ! Really clarified things and makes things make a lot more sense. Would recommend this to others!!

The 'kata' bit might be just some sort of drill, Krabi Krabong or something related. I don't know, just passing on what was told to me. I will have to grab the guy who said this next time I see him and ask for clarification.

:' D

LFD

20. rudai123

rudai123 New Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I should clarify this is for light sparring. 50 percent tops