Effectiveness of FMA styles as self-defence

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diabolik79, May 13, 2010.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Not all twirling involves bending the wrist. I do a lot of twirling both with and without weapons using more arm motion and body mechanics and less if not no wrist bending. But then again I twirl with an iron bar and if you rely on bending the wrist to do it you'll quickly knacker your wrist.

It can be if understood be a very useful tool in your box.

Regards

Pat

2. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

The vision of Pat twirling in a leotard is not a pretty one!!! :rolleyes:

What's new Pussy Pat...whoa...whoa...whoa

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hey dont knock it till you try it fat boy:) But not as scary as a vision of you wearing one... Oh dear is it after the 9 oclock water shed yet???? Now that would frighten the children :evil:

4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Pirouette Pat strikes back!!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  5. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Actually, twirling exercises can relate very directly to empty-hands application. I practice both Latosa Escrima and Torres DTE systems. Both are very direct and pragmatic, without much use for "decorative" movement... such as twirls. They also don't use a lot of abanico or witik strikes, typically preferring short powerful blows. Nevertheless, GM Latosa has explained how a simple forward or reverse twirl as well as abanico movements increase you "short power" and ability to make transitions in "cadena de mano". Watching him demonstrate these movements in his "boxing" was very impressive... especially since he generally doesn't spend a lot of time twirling sticks!

6. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

For self defense, twirling or not does not matter. You won't have a weapon as you say most probably right?

Check out their scenario and sparring training. There's where it's at. If those are good and realistic (and safe), then it should be ok...

7. jaidee

jaidee New Member

Most of the twirling is done for show or for practice.

In reality, if your holding on to a weapon it would be best to get a good grip at it.

Filipinos are known to bind knives with cloth or towels to secure the weapon.

Trust me, I have seen these hacking actions in real life. If you have been to the depressed areas, one would see an occurence of people scampering with knives in hand.

In the rural areas, especially in the far flung places where feudal fights are still rampant. People are still known to use bolo or kris for hacking stuff, even people.

Most of these movements do not use twirls, they are straight to the point. Sure they may be swingy to the point that you swing a bolo lng a full 180 degrees.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011