Edged & Impact Concepts with Kuya Doug Marcaida

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MadMonk108, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Any chance of you making the trip to Calgary July?

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Slim to none, unfortunately. It was that or Florida, and the student I brought with me couldn't make Calgary.

3. Hannibal

Fair enough ;)

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So, when you say "everything is sinawali," did you feel like there was some unconscious drive to use both weapons equally? That's what I always notice when we talk sinawali (obviously because the drills are structured that way).

5. MadMonk108

Yes and no. Used, yes, but the question is for what. Shielding? Striking? Checking? It all comes into play but depends on the configuration being worked with and the range. But yes, at no point is one hand just glued to your chest or in your pocket.

6. Hannibal

It's interesting and gratifying to see This be (re)emphasised because I teach the same thing (though not at Dougs level obviously) and call it "Weapon focus" - the trick is not to get stuck on the "weapon" in your hand but look at the totality.

As an example of practicing what I preach I crashed with my bro P-Dog in solo baston sparring by making him pick up the stick feed and I then drifted a left cross right onto his jaw - It was nicknamed "Dr Lecters Drift" in class after that

When is Doug back down your way Aus?

7. MadMonk108

Not sure, but I will let you know ASAP.