Ecka?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by James_ECKA, Mar 27, 2007.

1. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Just wondering if any one else here trains with ECKA?

2. WindowLicker

WindowLicker Valued Member

Never heard of 'em

Who the Eck'a they? :confused:

:D :eek:

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Emotionally Concerned Kickboxers of America?

4. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Haha I like x2 ;)

English Contact Karate Association

So I guess not kickboxing in it's purest sense...but still ;)

5. slipthejab

Ah sorry.. never heard of them... perhaps some more of the local Brits will have heard of them. Is it similar to Kyukoshin style Karate fighting?

How does the competition ruleset differ from standard kickboxing?

6. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I thought that ECKA merged or became the WKA, when I trained WKA there was quite a few guys from an ECKA club, I think Howard Brown had something to do with it.

7. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Well it's karate based kickboxing really.

Certainly a lot more like 'typical kickboxing' than any type of 'typical karate' that I've ever seen. A couple of our senior instructors have fought in K1 and most coaches have at one point or another held some form of FC Kickboxing title :)

Yea we've become heavily involved with WKA but ECKA is still it's own organisation in it's own right :) :cool:

8. slipthejab

Interesting... there used to be a lot of the K-1 fighters in the early days that came from a distinct kickboxing background. In the early days there really wasn't much Muay Thai happening. There's a bit of footage kicking around of a young Ernesto Hoost wearing the easily recognizable satin kickboxing trousers. He was out of Holland. And who can forget Andy Hug who was a Karateka of the highest order. Any of the early K-1 fighters would have easily held their own against the K-1 fighters of today.

9. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Yea it was some time ago that the guy I'm thinking of fought. He is a full time instructor now, retired from fighting but one of his fighters (and another ECKA coach too!) is fighting for a world title soon, Brian Aston his name is, in Dudley. I dont know any of the details yet other than it's on the 15th April and Im 110% there lol

10. Pauly_S

Pauly_S New Member

I’m also in the ECKA you'll be pleased to hear James. :)
    And looking to move away from LC bouts to FC fights : D (something the ECKA don’t really support you in if we are honest)

But yeah Howard Brown was with the ECKA, but he left a few years back (had a few problems :rolleyes: ), I’m not sure if he'll be back in the future.

Its one of the bigger associations in the UK and Ernesto Hoost fought Sensei Ray Hoffman in the UK before he made it big.
    About senior instructors holding titles I think you played it down a bit there mate. take a look at Sensei Dev’s achievements http://www.ecka.co.uk/instructors/dev.htm

I’ve just been on the tringkickboxing site which is where I presume you train and your club doesn’t seem too bad.

PM me James and we'll see if we've ever met. Actually i'll be in Dudley on the 15th too to get behind Brian!

11. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Re:

Hehe yea Dev's a hero!

Yea Tring club seems to be doing well, we've been up and running for a couple of years or so now and Rob's a wikkid coach. It's his first club and I cant say a bad word about him or his teaching!

I know what you mean about ECKA not doing too much FC stuff, I've spoken to Rob about it and he said when I've some more LC experience we can sort something out, I'm not sure what, whether he'll have a go at coaching it, maybe arrange something with Mark Featherstone who is his own coach.

I'm planning on training in Muay Thai soon as well which should help! Once I'm mobile and have a motorbike which should be soon I'm gonna train at the Minotaur's Gym in Burnt Oak :)

I'm really looking forward to Sunday, hope Brian does it!!

So who's your coach and stuff?

12. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Re

Wooo Hooo, Brian Aston new ISKA World Champion, 9th Rnd TKO (3 knock downs).

What an exciting fight, had my heart in my mouth for the first 4 rounds where Brian's opponent appeared to have the edge, things evened out for rounds 5 and 6, Brian was taking the edge quite considerably thereafter and finished it in the 9th.

His opponent though, was class. A true sportsman for a whole multitude of reasons. The way he came back after his first knock down was f-ing amazing, and it really did look like Brian would be heading in the same direction for a brief moment but he managed to score the second knock down and the third one shortly after. All from close punches :)

Did you have a good night Paul and any one else who went?

13. Pauly_S

Pauly_S New Member

A lot of people from my club went along it was a good night out for us. It was a shame the Italians didn't turn up to fight it let the show down. It was a good job that some fighters of a decent level came in.

Brian did great! The other guy he fought did one hell of a job also. He hasn't fought for a while but you would have never have thought that. And he was in training for a come back fight which was only a 5 round fight so his fitness let him down in the later rounds. He only knew about the fight the day before so he did well.

I know Brian wanted the belt a lot so its great he's finally done it!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  14. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Re

Yea he was a truely awesome kickboxer.

So were you with Hopeton or one of the other coaches? There weren't too many of our instructors there with their students. Rob took about 8 people, Geoff Aldridge was there, Hopeton Harmitt, Junior, Martin Candelent, don't remember seeing too many others, do you?

15. Pauly_S

Pauly_S New Member

Yeah there were a few there. No i'm not from any of the ones you've listed above.

I can't send you a PM as i dont have 'sufficient privileges' :rolleyes:

I'd rather not go into too many details on this forum :eek:

I wouldn't have expected a big turn out to be honest from the ECKA. Just a few coaches who know Brian and Ray well and their students. And clubs local to the event.

16. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Re

Hehe apparently I dont have "sufficient privelages" either, so lets bypass the system:

<let's not>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm aware that you guys currently do not have sufficient user privileges to access MAP's PM system (you need 50+posts for that, see the thread on the topic here ), but please do not put contact details in posts as this directly contravenes the terms of service you agreed to when you joined. You guys have your email address links in your profiles, make contact via that method if you wish

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  18. Pauly_S

Pauly_S New Member

Thank you for letting us know we could email each other, I would have thought it would have been restricted also :rolleyes:

I’ll email you James :cool:

19. James_ECKA

James_ECKA New Member

Re

Oops sorry server :eek:

OK cool, send us an EMail Paul, look forward to hearing from you...

20. Pauly_S

Pauly_S New Member

We have a problem as it says;

"That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails."

You should be able to change it in your profile.

lol