Dumb State Laws

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by g-bells, Apr 3, 2007.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hmmm... a lot of those aren't dumb... many are taken out of context as well.
    Yes there are some laughable ones in there... but I've lived in several of those places and can see the reasoning behind some of them.

example:

This law was put in place to stop drug deals happening from parked cars. Once this went into effect it made it much harder for someone to park their car all night and sell drugs from it on a city street.

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

come on slip...check out ohio... no whale fishing on sundays :confused:

and in youngstown- it's illegal to run out of gas

4. slipthejab

again - go back and look at many of those laws... out of context.
    Many were set ages ago... it's not as if people go through the books and repeal laws when they become passe.

Yes some are silly... but again... many are simply out of context if you don't know the area. Obviously... there isn't going to much whale fishing in Ohio on any day of the week. Unless you count picking up fat chic's down at bowling alley. :p

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

their is a bar in youngstown that has a heifer night, not kidding, all the ladies are 220 plus, i've only been there once...... i swear

6. slipthejab

Lol! :d

7. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

:D

8. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I'm having trouble finding a sensible context for a few Ma. laws.

No one may take a bath without a prescription.

No more than two baths may be taken within the confines of the city

It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath

It is illegal to play the fiddle.

No gorilla is allowed in the back seat of any car

At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.

Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.

9. Verx

Maybe something to do with the black death. Oh I forgot America wasn't discovered until afterwards.

People snore loudly in Ma.

10. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

A lot of those laws were placed on the books in the 19th century. So the lack of historical context makes them sound silly. Such as the it is illegal to carry wire cutters in your pocket in Austin, Texas. Its a law from the 18th century to prevent cattle theft.

Its also still legal to hang a horse theif.

11. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Glad we dont have that law here, would've screwed my weekend right up.

12. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Horse thief!

Get a rope!
    :D

13. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

And a few of my favourites.

14. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

Someone should do a Movie with the main character going thru each state brakeing all the laws they can. I think this movie has alredy been done. :eek:
    I would take some doing to make it funny thou.

Ah Ha.
    I see it now the Brothel Law hum!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i have some bad news for Pac, it's illegal in Ohio to cross dress

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  16. bmcgonag

bmcgonag Valued Member

This one is out of context. It means that as a peace officer I could not arrest someone on the sworn statement of a citizen that the suspect actually was drinking while driving. I have to see it myself.

This is true, I have actually stopped a guy whose entire windshield was shattered when I was a rookie, and the traffic cop of 15 years came to assist, and once the guy showed his windshield wipers worked, he was free to go.

Actually it's easier than that. Just purport yourselves to be married. Wear rings, hold hands, live together, show public displays of affection, or just be dating, and as far as assault goes, you are now family.

Yeah...Theft.

1800's anti-poaching law.

Move forward into 1900's on the state law books as 'Wire cutters cannot be carried in your truck.'

Haven't checked myself, but I'm sure this has cut off the time that follows when beer can be purchased on Monday, according to state law not before 7 am.

This one I totally believe, because they Recently had the Chip n Dales Dancers come there, and after giving a warning about lude behavior and consequences, all the dancers danced with full pants, and long sleeve shirts, and upon making a "lude" hip thrust gesture, all were arrested.

This is actually on the state books as 'Noxious odors shall not be emitted in a public place.' Falls under Disorderly Conduct.

This is a serious one! If you don't think so, try it, get caught, and see if you see daylight in the next year, and/or if you are simply banned from returning to the state of Texas. Ask Ozzy Osbourne

There you have it, some of the 'stupid' laws explained by an ex-cop.

Enjoy

Brian

17. Verx

You're joking, right?

18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Moosey might want to avoid alaska

In Fairbanks it is considered an offense to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose. :D

On the other hand

It is considered an offense to push a live moose out of a moving airplane

And finally

Moose may not be viewed from an aircraft :confused:

19. tkdgirl01

tkdgirl01 Silly no more!

Oh my- it looks like my dad is in trouble, because he does this often when he commutes to and from work:

It is illegal to snooze on a train.

How is this even possible?:

Whistling underwater is prohibited.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind for when I'm in the market to buy one:

One may not walk a lion, tiger or leopard, even on a leash.

20. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Then I'm okay since the only cross dresser is you when you go to work....now I understand why you work in your neighboring State. They made that law specific to you :eek: :D