Drills

Discussion in 'MMA' started by YODA, Dec 17, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

OK - let's talk training drills!

One of our basic groundwork drills is what we call the basic 4. Four of the more common ground control positions lionked in a nice flow that teaches holding position, defensive structure from the bottom & smooth transition between positions.

Then we add elemsnts to the dril - here is the basic flow drill with just a few of the more common additional components...

Questions?

2. big e

big e New Member

whats the x-body hold?
    - have i ever done it before?

3. YODA

.......Only in every class you've been to that has included grappling ya big dummy!

X-Body / Cross body....

4. big e

big e New Member

ah
    i c . . . :)

5. YODA

........ In fact, I think I'll do an article for the MAP Mag that covers this drill - with photos of the positions and details of the transitions & structure.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

That would be excellent!! YODA. Especially for those of us who are a little behind in the old grappling department.

7. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

X-cross is a variation of side control ? That seems to be the one I use all the time! -- vary that right hand a bit though, I grip their pants with it sometimes. The other one I use is the one where I put my left hand underneath their neck and clasp my hands at 90 degrees to each other.

what's the side top hold ?

8. YODA

Hi Bon

Side-top is what you probably call scarf hold.

9. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Thanks! :)

10. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Hey,
    Love the diagram Yoda, makes it real easy to remember the flow drill. Do you have one that includes the broken scarf hold, reverse scarf hold and the oh so painful knee mount.

11. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Where does this 'weird' terminology come from ? :D

Do you guys learn BJJ, GJJ, Sambo, wha ?

12. YODA

Yes - we do :D

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

cool yoda's starting correspondance course...:D
    u bet i ain't payin it... ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

14. YODA

Paying what?

15. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Which one(s) ? :D

16. YODA

All of 'em :D

I especially enjoy the Wha?

17. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi Yoda,

Once again you amaze me with the amount of information you are prepared to share. Looks like a great drill and I really like the presentation in the flow chart. I look forward to the full article coming out. By the way are you following up the JKD and fencing article?

In terms of a positional flow only (i.e. no submissions) we often do an 'around the body' drill. Starts in kesa gatame (scarf), then move to X-body (side control), then reverse scarf, north-south (69 or upper three quaters call it what you will) then move around to the other side of the body into reverse scarf, X-body, kesa gatame. Then take the mount, the partner then traps and rolls into guard, passes the guard into knee mount, then into kesa to start the drill (or you can miss the knee mount and go straight to scarf but it seems such a shame to not practice this and of course inflict the pain :) ).

Its a good drill for mobility between the different positions although I usually suffer from lack of memory about half way through and have to mutter the flow to myself under my breath - much to my training partners' delight. You wouldn't think it would be so hard huh!

As you have done in this drill we often add submissions/locks etc in at each position. We have something like a 16 lock flow from the kesa position but its kinda hard to explain in words. My knowledge of the other positions is far less but we do something like 6 from the X-body too. Hopefully I'll learn similar flows from each of the other positions in the New Year.

By the way - another terminology question - is broken scarf just where the dude has manged to get his arm free?

18. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

19. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Questions about the flow

OK so nobody in the office is going to let me try this on them and my next grappling session isn't until the New Year so I wonder if I can ask a couple of stupid questions?

1) From the mount position you mention an elbow scoop that leads to Juji. Any chance you could explain this (the elbow scoop) a bit more as I'm having trouble visualizing?

2) From the guard - triangle - Juji section. You mention the single pass and then the double pass. Is this where you are trying for Juji and your partner escapes either back into guard or passes completely into X-body (in this case)... I think I answered my own question there... it obviously is. Any tips on escaping a Juji attempt?

Cheers,

Dred

20. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member