Does your body size and weight influence your training?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Geordie Boy, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Hi all,

Having moved back to martial arts a year or two ago from a pure weight lifting routine, i have lost a great deal of bulk, and weight. I concentrate on plyometrics, body excercises and only 2 weight sessions a week.

However despite being fitter,more powerful, and even stronger, i still feel anxious about the weight and size ive lost. Has any one else felt like that, or is it just me.

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Well, my weight is around 100 kg, and I cheer endlessly everytime the weight drops. I'm exra hopeful this week, because I've had a tooth pulled out, and my appetite is thus lessened somewhat :)

If you're not a body builder, sumo wrestler or somthing else I cannot comprehend, I cannot see why on earht you should be sad for loosing a pound or two ;)

3. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Don't worry about it. You're also most likely a lot faster now, and as you said, you are fitter, more powerful, and stronger. You don't need all of that bulk. If anything, it is detrimental to the serious martial artist.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Depends what the bulk is. If it's pure contractile muscle (ie. less sarcoplasm hypertrophy from workouts, more sarcomere growth), then I can't see how it would be detrimental because you will most likely be faster and stronger (unless you are that big you can't move properly in a worlds-strongest-man styleee).

5. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Yeah, I can understand it. I'm not real bulky to begin with and my training has made me more defined, heavier, and stronger but it's reduced what little bulk I have. The loss of size is a little disconcerting, but I noticed when I went on vacation that I immediately started to bulk up again, so I think of it as misplaced not gone. :)

One of our instructors is a personal trainer and bodybuilder. He seems to have balanced the two very well. Next time I see him I will ask him about that.

6. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

Well I can say I have been in the same boat.

I am 6 foot 3 and when I started training a number of years ago about 255 pounds. I was, and am still quite strong, but have lost about 40 pounds of extra weight. As long as you take your time and keep working on your muscle strength you can get lose weight without losing any muscle mass.

I traded a very small amount of intimidation factor for a very large increase in speed, endurance, and general lightness on my feet. I now move a lot more like someone who weighs 30 - 40 pounds lighter than me. Personally I think it is a good trade.

7. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

well beng smaller can promote faster punching... or so i heard

*WARNING, secondhand info*

someone whose name escapes me told me that a trimmer waist can twist faster than a thicker one and you need your waist for punching

8. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I don't know. I've bulked up, but I like that.

9. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Your concerns are understandable although its not that big a deal Georgie Boy. Since you did routines from a pure weight lifting standpoint, you should expect some difficulty going back to MA. The reason for this is despite getting stronger and losing weight, you were not practicing your skills.

10. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

some people would kill to lose 40 lbs during training and still gaining strength and fitness :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

It's true. Smaller people can't take hit's as well as larger people, therefore they are paranoid about not being hit. At least, I am.

PL

12. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

I'm around one of the smallest, lightest, people in my dojo. Sure I've been kicked across the mat a couple times but that doesn't stop me. Losing weight and size or fitness is most likely a good thing if you're gaining muscle then taking hits shouldn't really change and it's better for you in the long run.

13. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

there is a girl at my club, she has a brain disorder which screws her balance up and only has 10% vision, she can only be about 4ft 10 but she can bring the big ones down, its how you use what you got against whatever comes at you.

14. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Alot of valid points guys.

Cheers.

15. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

"some people would kill to lose 40 lbs during training and still gaining strength and fitness"

It took a lot at the club time, push/pull/sit ups and cycling.

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Of course it does. My 10 year old son and I are a half belt apart. So we do a lot of the same skill exercises. He weighs 80 lbs and is 5'4", I'm 6'5" and 245. We HAVE to do things differently. I try to protect my ankles a bit when doing a lot of jumping, don't want anything to snap ya know. But as an interesting aside, I originally went down to about 230 lbs after I started, then my weight started going back up. I was kind of bummed but I found out that my body fat had gone down about 4%. So I was losing fat and gaining muscle. That I can handle.

17. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

I think so, as I was still growing while training I have to say there were techiniques that interested me when I was 180, that no longer interest me at 250. Though I'm glad I gain the knowledge of how the technique is properly done and the principles behind them.

18. Jax

Jax New Member

I am 6ft and 180, i am trying to get upto 200 then im gunna try and maintain that weight and train for maximum strength, endurance and power at that weight. I personally woudlnt want to get any bigger i feel it would restrict the flowing movements of eskrima, but it would come in handy for my muay thai roundhouse knee brakers :D

It's all upto personal preference, i suppose if your 250 pounds and the other guy is 180 you dont really have to worry about been thrown down unless he trips you and the added weight and strength would also be advantagous in grappling, i doubt a 180-200lb guy could lift/suplex someone that heavy.

19. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Bloody hell, I'm 6 feet tall and 180lbs!

20. Jinstar

Jinstar New Member

Im a bit over 180lbs and just under 6ft, and Im sheding a kilo a week. But Im pretty sure its pure body fat, cause I keep my protein content up along with moderate muscle training, bulk = sux0rs, I dont see why anyone would wanna be super buff. Im keeping my muscles to a resonable size for teh ladies, and keeping them dense, so I have the flexiblility, speed and strength to train harder :D