Does Steven Segal tell the truth?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anjelica, May 16, 2018.

1. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

he has made some bold claims. have they been investigated? He has claimed to been a student of Aikido founder Morihei Ueshiba who died in 1968. Was Segal living in Japan as a teenager? he also claims to have been buddies with Bruce Lee, thing is he also claims to have been a master already then and working for the CIA, but he would have been only 20 years old at the time.

Say what you want about Chuck Norris but he speaks the truth. He can back up all his claims.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'd ask Gene LeBell, I'm sure he can vouch for what Seagull's word stands for.

Mitch, El Medico and SWC Sifu Ben like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

No, he can't even tell the truth about his hair loss, never mind the other "stuff" he spouts.

He's also a wife beater, has had multiple sexual assault / harressment accusations, and holds Russian citizenship.

On second thoughts, That almost sounds like trump!

Van Zandt and axelb like this.
  4. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Well not as bad as Frank Dux. Without going into all his claims, if I claimed to have defeated 56 world class fighters in 3 days would you really believe me? I wouldn't.

5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I think it was easier to make outlandish claims back in the 80's when the martial arts had a certain mystique about them.

It's much more difficult in the information age.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    SWC Sifu Ben likes this.
  6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Nothing about Steven Seagal is legit. I honestly doubt his aikido is legit even. He married into a teaching position, lied about his training history, never seen him do anything live. He is a massive POS and all-round terrible human on top of it all.

SWC Sifu Ben and Van Zandt like this.
  7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

No, I've been on the mat with enough of his students to say without reservation that Seagal's aikido is legit. You can't teach someone to be that good if you don't have it yourself.
    As for the rest of his life ... ya, the news stories aren't good at all. :eek::oops::(

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

FWIW - My first MA instructor is now studying Aikido from a lineage descended from him. My former instructor has a ton of experience in a lot of martial arts. He says it is legit, so I believe him.

Could never get through any of his films though- they are awful.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Dux only made claims about his martial arts record segal made additional claims about the CIA, who he trained with, who he knew and so on, and also doesn't seem to like women much.

Whilst he married into his teaching position his aikido seems to be genuine, but this is aikido we are talking about an art no one on this forum can post proof of working lol, and the only unscripted account of segal in action had him unconscious and needing to change his underwear

Knee Rider likes this.
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Dux shaming fail! :p

Dux made even more ridiculous claims to being some kind of CIA assassin from the age of 14 or something.

Lots of creepy stories about Seagal and actresses though. Maybe he took Russian citizenship because his old CIA buddies told him about #METOO before the story broke.

He is about one of the most (if not still the most) legit gaikokujin Aikidoka out there. Which isn't a good reflection on Aikido!

Knee Rider likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

I think this sums him up.....

Note very slightly naughty language at the start.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2018
    Knee Rider likes this.
  12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Really? I thought his first one, "Above the Law" to us or "Nico" to our British friends, was good. And the boat one? That was great! Although, although, I'll grant that Tommy Lee Jones is why it was great. And Gary Busey, too. But anyway, that's two good movies!

Knee Rider, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Couldn't tell you which one or ones I tried- it was a long time ago. One big thing is his voice is very annoying to me. I couldn't listen to that voice for a couple of hours. Shallow, I know. But I can't be entertained if the voice is bothering me. It's a thing with me.

(I left my sisters house once when they started watching Spongebob. I was like " you all have fun. I gotta go!")

14. Knee Rider

One of my favourites was him claiming to be at ushieba's death bed delivering personal care. The reality is that when ushieba died Steven Seagal was practically a foetus. I believe there was some unparalleled shinaniggans surrounded his self proclaimed kenjutsu learning too but I forget what.

I actually love his films. The straight to video, faux spiritualist, egotistical, teenage power fantasies as just too funny for words. I especially like the ones where he is either presenting to be black or native American - depending on which particular self delusion he is maintaining that decade.

Nico was actually good though.

axelb likes this.
  15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

approx 17-born in '52.
    Mayhap Steve and Frank should have a podcast together and reminisce about the ol' CIA days!
    Let's not forget the secret awarding of that CMO!

Well,at least teenagers are good for something!
    At 17?

16. Dead_pool

Steven Seagal - Wikipedia

"Seagal moved to Japan at some point between 1971 and 1973. The date of his journey has become a point of contention due to Seagal's statement that he studied with Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of aikido, who died in 1969. Terry Dobson, a fifth-degree black belt who studied with the master from 1961 to 1969, dismissed this claim, saying, "That story is bull. [Back then] I never heard of Steven Seagal." By 1974 Seagal had returned California. That year he met Miyako Fujitani, a second-degree black belt and daughter of an Osaka aikido master who had come to Los Angeles to teach aikido. When Miyako returned to Osaka, Seagal went with her. The following year they married and had a son, Kentaro, and a daughter, Ayako. He taught at the school owned by Miyako's family (though he is often stated to have been the first non-Asian to open a dojo in Japan). "

Lieing liar is caught out by Lieing.

Knee Rider likes this.
  17. Knee Rider

Hyperbole for comic effect.

He was nowhere near ushiba let alone established in such a position of trust to be at his death bed in the final hrs etc etc

His description of washing down ushieba's body is as homoerotic as it is fraudulent.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Out For Justice is by far his best

Dead_pool and Dan93 like this.
  19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Why even mention Chuck Norris in the same post as Seagal. Norris is a humble and pleasant guy who has some much of the past couple decades just running his martial arts organization, which is an offshoot of tang soo do that involves plenty of pad work, sparring, and sweat, with no grandiose claims, no magic, and no shortcuts (bias disclaimer: my boys and I train in that style). And when he appeared in the Expendables, he made fun of himself with a Chuck Norris joke.

Seagal is...something else. ls addition to everything else that's been said about Seagal, I struggle with the whole idea of simultaneously claiming to be a reincarnated Tibeyan lama and contracting with Kalashnikov to be their spokesperson and advertising face.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

To be fair, chuck norris is an anti vaccine propronant who's also anti evolution and anti climate science, (as well as also anti gay.)

So whilst his lying about his personal history isn't up to seagull's, overall he's definatly lies about a lot of very settled science facts. As well as being overly fixated about what the gays get up too

Edit, hes also a conspiracy theorist! how did I not know about this before, Google is a wonderful thing!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Knee Rider and axelb like this.