does height really matter?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by yuen, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Everything can make a difference. What I think makes the most difference is often the extremes.

Having an opponent that has a reach of a few inches more is a disadvantage for me usually, but having an opponent that has a foot or more reach is going to really make closing in a problem for me.

Same the other way, some children are just the right height and age where they run around head first and of course the place they run into you is the groin.

Or say a person is so much smaller that you don't take them seriously and then you end up making mistakes that cost you.

So I say it is the extremes that can make the most difference all around.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I'd rather be tall and strong...:)

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i wanna be tall. you will all fear the day when van zandt and i combine to form midgeturret and beat you all up.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Are we talking about you now? :eek:

Last time I didn't know who we was talking about and I said "that's hot" and then Blade came in and told me that was you... and then you said something about goth or EMO or something undeadish... don't recall.

So shut up, you're hot. :mad:

Oh now the sanchin makes sense. You are standing on the shoulders of van zandt.

midgeturret and master blaster can team up. :evil:

5. Fish Of Doom

no, he sits on my shoulders, does the splits, and fires twin assault rifles using his feet :D. then we use my hair to hang the skulls of the defeated.

is still say that barring stupidly high differences in physical ability and situational factors, it's a matter of training yourself to a high-level and being badder and meaner than the other guy.

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

LOL, no, I was just pointing out that height on its own isn't necessarily useful. Just being 6ft tall isn't useful if you weigh 60kg :eek:

Of course, it would be nice to be both tall and strong :)

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Mark Twain.

Gary

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What about if the dog is packing heat, or has a sword, or some such other weapon?

What? Course it could happen!

9. ninjainafatsuit

ninjainafatsuit Valued Member

never underestimate little angry man syndrome. i worked on the doors for quite a few years, and taken down guys much bigger than me (5"7) on many occasions and most of the bigger guys i worked with struggled with the smaller guys

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

'Tradition holds that bigger men make for better soldiers. To an extent this is true: a larger individual has an increased natural propensity for carrying larger loads over longer distances. This is the essence of the fighting infantryman. But the smaller man often compensates with more aggression, competitiveness and agility than his taller comrades. Perhaps this is because the smaller man, like a small dog, has had to prove himself in competition with his bigger rivals every day of his life. He has had to try twice as hard to match and exceed the natural advantages gifted to his larger contemporaries in the fields of sport and love. He has been bitten, mocked and humiliated. But instead of licking his wounds and accepting the place in society that the larger dogs have set for him, he ignores the pain and refuses to lie down. Living every day as a fight for physical, mental and emotional survival has meant that the smaller man, like the smaller dog, has grown to overtower the bigger men and dogs. This growth is not on the outside, but rather it is internal: the fighting spirit has increased exponentially. And so the saying goes, "What matters is not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog." The mental robustness that develops as a result of this fighting spirit is the perfect ingredient for a Special Forces soldier. So whilst you may be hard pressed to find a small man in a regular infantry battalion, you will be even harder pressed to find an SAS squadron consisting of anything but small, mighty men.'

- Anon. (Inscription on SAS memorial wall at the Infantry Training Centre in Catterick)*

11. Llamageddon

Are you sure this is on a wall in Catterick, VZ? Are you sure you haven't just written it now to make you and fishy feel better?

Although, of course it is true that smaller men make better spec ops personnel. They can slip under the radar ;)

12. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I have that syndrome, lol :D

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's there all right. I remember it because my section commander in training made us Scots Guards recruits (I later transferred to 3 Para) recite it off by heart. The average height of us jock guardsmen was 5 ft 7 in (even less so for Welsh Guards); the average height of Grenadier, Irish and Coldstream Guards was something like 6 ft 2 in. The SAS was founded by David Stirling, a Scots Guards officer. It's also a well known fact that smaller blokes make for better recce troops (recon to you Spams in the audience). During a tactical exercise in training my mate Cliff and I earned the nicknames Weasel 1 and Weasel 2 because of our natural capacity for close contact recce. We were able to sneak up on the "enemy" (consisting of our platoon staff) while they were eating scoff (food) around a fire and steal the firing pins from their rifles without them knowing. Next morning when they asked each recruit for whatever intel they'd gathered, they demanded proof when we told 'em how close we got. We simply told them to try firing their weapons. Shoulda seen the looks on their faces :D

14. Fish Of Doom

we also work better in short-term deployments.

15. Llamageddon

My granddad did some stuff with the SBS when they first came around (there's a photo of him which mysteriously says 'colonel Stirling, SAS' and then a date I can't remember on the back) and he was like 5' something. In terms of height, I think I lucked out!!

16. yuen

yuen Valued Member

thanks to all of your responses!

however, does anyone know what types of techniques i should focus more on when fighting a taller and maybe bigger opponent?

i'm quite competitive and don't like loosing. even by my size, many people are suprised that i'm not that easy to win over :D

thanks again.

17. Fish Of Doom

leg kicks. if leg kicks are not allowed, sweep REALLY hard (just bear in mind they'll have the advantage when doing sweeps due to range, and might return the favour). work on your parrying in order to get close. if you can't get close, you can't do crap to them. then when you get close hit hard, hit fast, and keep hitting.

as a fun aside, most tall people don't expect the first time you hang on to them and jump punch them in the face. unlikely to work for long, but it's EXTREMELY satisfying :D

18. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

chef boy-are-you-short

19. yuen

yuen Valued Member

lol once when me and my friend were sparring (giving he had a much bigger height advantage) i kept on kicking him on the shin and then made a big sweep causing him to fall over, and because i found it quite funny and he seemed weak, i landed on top of him and started to throw punches to his face(light punches, otherwise he might of ko'ed :S).

yuen.

20. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

There is a kid I know who literally said this to my friend (who practiced Judo and Karate) and I and I quote:

"The biggest guy always wins"

The kid who said this was taller and bigger then me and my friend however, he was, well, not in the best shape to put it lightly. He (The Kid) went on and said every kid that was taller and bigger then us could beat us in a "fight", including himself. Went on the preach for about 5-10 minutes about how size is everything.

I feel angry and frustrated at him. Is that natural?
    I also feel like kicking him in the face. Is that natural?