Does anyone think sleeping on the floor is better

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Apr 23, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Not necessarily that you actually sleep on the floor without a mattress just do you think it would be good for your body. With just a simple rubber mat.

What is even the natural sleeping position for us humans I am stumped on this.My cat curls up and looks so natural sleeping but do you really think sleeping humans look natural and comfortable. Or have we mutated somehow and really will never sleep naturally without some device or complicated bed and mattress system.

I also think about this.... how can we not have to have a pillow to sleep?What is the correct neck and head position this also confuses me. Its like OK I am laying down but my head is to low in relation to my body without a pillow.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

maybe look at sleeping chimps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or maybe try this? :evil:

[​IMG]

3. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I've tried to sleep on my hardwood floor a few times to see if it would help sort out my lower back pain. But the call of my mattress was far too great :p

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I have a Sealy memory foam mattress.

If I have a choice, there's no way I'm sleeping on the floor.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

A good mattress makes such a difference.mines a sprung mattress with a couple of inches of memory foam on the top of it. The thing is so deep and sooooo comfortable. Floor? Nah!

6. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

I have spent 100+ nights usually a weekend at a time when younger camping in a sleeping bag in a tent on the ground and 3 months straight sleeping on a quilt on a carpeted floor in a house and many random nights just falling asleep on the floor watching TV. Aside from needing something soft to rest your face so that you do not get carpet pattern impressions in your face, a carpeted floor is comfortable.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I prefer a quilt over the sleeping bag when camping it's not as heavy if you get the soft type it's really comfortable.I feel like a target locked up in a zippered sleeping bag.So with my quilt, ground mat, and mosquito net and poncho which a crude lean to could be fashioned quickly if needed. I don't need a tent. Unless it is a multiple day trip and friends are coming. but a tent at times turns into a mass of confusion and clutter LOL.

So when you slept on the carpet did you rest well?

8. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I've passed out on the floor a few times...does that count :p

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I am yet to find a mattress that i find comfy, the closest i have come is sleeping on the futon on my mother/father in laws narrow boat, best sleep ever. Not sure if that was because of the thin mattress and wood slat combo or the fact i was on the water. Memory foam, uuggh, to damn hot. I hate a hot bed, actually makes me panicky.

I have slept many times well on the floor, but i admit to using a pillow as i am far to bony to be using my arms as a rest point. The thing with chimps is they are far more bulky in comparison to a human (with the exception of a few members/mods - no names) and tougher to boot.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

but, but... CHIMPS!!!

11. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I've got no problem sleeping on the floor with just something to cover me and something to lie on. Happened a lot, I can pretty much sleep anywhere. Comes from camping, airports, that sort of thing.

12. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I actually took my parents old futon for that very reason. The single best surface I've ever slept on. Some ppl just need firm surfaces or they can't sleep.

When I went to Taiwan ages ago I slept on my cousins, I forget what you call'em, like bamboo beds. Felt great.

Sleeping on the floor feels great too but there's one problem with hard surfaces.

I toss and turn when I sleep and end up sleeping on my side a lot.
    Side sleeping is the one thing that hard surfaces aren't good for. Your spine curves instead of straightening out on something that gives.

So I vote for a firm futon.

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Why would anyone sleep on a floor when they didn't have to?

Besides, with your mate, this causes floor burns :)

14. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Usually sleep on the floor in work. It's OK if I roll something up for a pillow, and have something to cover me.
    i.e. a jumper for a pillow, rolled up, and a coat on top of me (and around me if big enough). I find it pretty comfortable.

15. rivend

rivend Valued Member

When you say *Usually sleep on the floor in work* What does that mean may I ask thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  16. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

My girlfriend likes to be comfy in bed. Often this means if I'm gonna share I'm balancing on a buttock on the very edge of the mattress :p Hence my being awake tonight lol. I expect I'll wake up on the floor again.

17. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

It means when I sleep in work (shiftworker) I usually sleep on the floor (though there is a bed).

Though my sentence could easily be read as "when I sleep, I usually do so on the floor in work". :D

18. righty

righty Valued Member

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned sleeping on tatami and Japnese people.

19. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I sleep on one of these.

Have done so for about a year now. I love it.

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Don't take this the wrong way but do you live in a squat?