Doce Pares Eskrima.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by 40k, Sep 17, 2013.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Should not Brian Ford, out of respect to FMA, or just plain common decency, drop the DP and Sayoc from his curriculum? I mean after all, he has not learned enough to teach it. He was never certified or authorized by any DP or Sayoc organization to do so. It is being dishonest, yes? He should be stopped.

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

He claimed to have many things including senior ranks in Wado Ryu yet the only certificate he displayed was a 1st Dan in Kendo. I once seen him teach a Wado class from a book? Yes he was referring to and teaching from a Wado book during the class right in front of the students??? That's when I had alarm bells ringing the first time but too late we signed the lease on the building.

I knew him for a while and got on fine and a few other JMA practitioners said he was fine and we become friends. It was only after opening the full time gym that I seen his true colours shine through. But a hard lesson well learnt.

3. Pat OMalley

Dishonest is his middle name. For that I can attest to.

4. 40k

40k New Member

I did Iai with him on courses with Okimitsu Fujii and I thought he was good, that was until I popped my head out of his dojo and saw what everyone else's Iai standard was like.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. shootodog

Welcome no MAP!

6. 40k

40k New Member

Teaching Wado from a book?, he told us all he was a 7th Dan.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. Pat OMalley

Ask to see his 7th Dan Certificate. I bet he start stuttering and rubbing his hands together saying 'Right'

And make sure it's not printed off his computer they are big things with embossed designs on them.

As a matter of fact ask to see his DP certificate there are two designs of those there as HQ ones and International ones. There are few minor differences to them and any good DP instructor knows them and the signatures in them and what titles those signatures hold.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There is something going on here behind the scenes and not to do with Brian Ford.

Thread closed until I have done my Inspector Clouseau investigation.

Be on guard in case I jump out of your wardrobe.

9. Simon

Thread now open.

10. Pat OMalley

I heard last night that although he holds no rank in Doce Pares SGM Diony liked his Kobudo so much that he gave him a diary of his thoughts and trained him in private and asked me to leave the room whilst he done it. All this when I had brought him over and he was staying at my house and training me and my wife who was heavily pregnant at the time for 8 hours a day. Bearing in mind he didn't actually do any training at the seminar and was no where to be seen the rest of the time. Oh and apparently he learnt Sayoc from 'some guy' in America although not ranked in that either????

And apparently he was ordered by Diony to compete in WEKAF to which apparently he won some 6 gold medals and a host of silver and bronze medals. Man did I miss something because I remember him winning what was it? Oh yes. Sod all.

All this in his own words in writing to someone.

Wow when it comes to nonsense [I'm with you Pat, but remember the masked profanity policy. -ap]he really knows how to push the boat out.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  11. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

I don't remember seeing Brian ford at any events and I have been attending Doce pares events in Newcastle since 1998. I think I had the job of camera man when bill hosted pat and John.

There are not many in the north east who have had much FMA training and bill has probably met everyone as he has promoted seminars and dp for donkeys years.

As it happens my school is host sgm Danny Guba this Saturday and Sunday in Newcastle (15 miles away from Durham and Sunderland). So if you live local and have an interest in eskrima it is well worth the trip and money. Sgm Guba is very open and you can ask him about any individual instructor as he knows most of them.

As a side note, I am not interested in politics and just do the best I can to train well and represent my teachers. Choose your teachers wisely. Use you gut instincts and train with those that you feel you can trust. Time is more valuable than money :)

Respects
    Paul Tennet
    Guba Doce Pares North East England

12. shootodog

Charlatans in the old country (here) got called out, publicly.

13. Pat OMalley

Oh I would love too but even just the mention of it here and your arrested for just saying it. We can't fart in this country without breaking some PC law. But educating people as to people's background in the FMA is a sure fire way of getting the truth out. It ain't politics it just exposing liars who claim to be something they are not. It's one of the reasons I set up the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors was to educate people as to who was qualified and who was faking it to make themselves look good. And you can't get more fake than Brian Ford when it comes to FMA.

14. mick shore

mick shore Valued Member

SAYOC KALI

Brian Ford is in no way connected to or trained in sayoc kali or trained by any representatives of sayoc kali .All instructors of sayoc kali can be found on the official sayoc kali webpage.Brian ford will be sent a message/letter to clarify this.
    For all enquiries regarding sayoc kali/instruction please look to the official webpage.......Mick shore..sayoc kali uk

15. 40k

40k New Member

I have asked the mods to remove my posts and/or close this thread. I only wanted to know about eskrima. Just sorry it has gone this far. I feel quite bad about it.
    I had done a multi style course (iai, kobujutsu karate etc) few years back and and spoke with the instructor very briefly and found him knowledgable and a good martial artist. Just didn't expect all this political debate to start of which I know nothing.
    So to all parties involved I apologise for this.

16. Simon

We don't close threads on request unless it is an exceptional circumstance.

I don't think an apology is necessary. If someone if claiming to represent a style without consent, then they have some explaining to do.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

IMO you have nothing to be sorry for.

If someone puts themselves out on the net as some sort of authority in an art and they aren't, then they only have themselves to blame when prospective students enquire about them.

18. Pat OMalley

Nothing to apologies for and there is certainly no politics. It's not politics when an instructor of anything is claiming to be something he's not and the FMA community is a close knit thing. You breath in the wrong direction we all hear it. And there is nothing worse than someone plagiarising another art for their own kudos. That's not politics that's getting found out that your lying.

Politics is my style is better than your style. Not I claim to be an authority is a style you actually know nothing about. And let's be honest here if someone is teaching you something they have no real knowledge of the quite frankly they ate dangerous and what they teach could end up being life threatening for you especially where weapons are concerned.

Would you be will to be taught how to fold up a parachute and learn to sky dive from someone who has no experience in it other than the fact they may have jumped once or even worse watch a video of how to do it? No I didn't think so as you would be foolish if you did and not surprised when your canopy failed to open. And I bet you would be the first to tell people not to go to that instructor wouldn't you? So why should we be any different? After all we are teaching skills that could very well save your life if done correctly and most certainly get you killed if you don't.

So no, no politics here. I just happen to know this liar very well.

19. shootodog

I think both DP and Sayoc have legal options at their disposal? I hope so.

20. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

This is the kind of scenario that would be appropriate for that PTK letter. DP and Sayoc should just copy & paste the PTK announcement and fill in. For example,

The following is an official statement from the leadership of Sayoc Kali:

Please let it be known that Brian Ford has never been recognized as a representative or legitimate instructor of Sayoc Kali. He is not authorized to teach under the banner of Sayoc Kali and must remove all references of himself as a part of Sayoc Kali. Brian Ford is not authorized to use any version of the Sayoc Kali name and logo or that of Pamana Tuhon Christopher Sayoc in any way.

Effective Immediately.