Doce Pares Escrima

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Jujitm, Jun 23, 2005.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

based on what? i'd like to see you say that over here or in cebu. really. so san miguel escrima is rubbish? all the systems under doce pares is rubbish? based on what? ever survived a deathmatch with them?

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Mmmmm, yep I would like to know on what expeariance do you draw this conclusion???

And I am with Shootodog on this one, try saying that in Cebu, as a matter of fact there are one or two people over here in the UK would be interested to see how you think DP is rubbish.

Or are you just trolling???

Pat

3. Pat OMalley

And if DP is so bad, why do you list www.dannyguba.co.uk as your web site in your contact details????

Makes you wonder:yeleyes:

4. User Name

User Name New Member

We don't want everyone to know our dirty little tricks, do we?? ;)

Seriously though, I have experienced a number of martial arts and Dp has really enlightened me. I often used to wonder if many of the arts out there would really save my butt, but I can honestly say that I think Dp would. Its not just a style or a load of techniques, its an attitude, and I also find it very intellectually engaging. Anyone who has a chance to look at Dp, even for just a month or two, will come away with something valuable.

Passionate bunch too!

Now I'm off to hide from Pat.......... :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  5. Pat OMalley

Not a chance mate;) You can run, but you cant hide:D

Best regards

Pat

6. bart

bart New Member

Hey now!

Before I read on and got the gist, I felt my blood start to boil. :) You're right about that passionate stuff.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Wonder how many variations there are on Doce Pares. I learned from the Patalinghug family. But from what I've seen of GM Cacoy's style, the two are fairly different. (Superficial stuff like the 12 angles, etc. In essence, obviously, it's the same.)

Stuart

8. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Not Funny

Is this supposed to be funny? How come I am not laughing? If this was said face to face, it still wouldn't be funny.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yes. It's funny. The guy that wrote it does Doce Pares. Guy who does Doce Pares + admonition against doing Doce Pares = comedy :D

10. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

British Sense of Humor?

Ok. Hahaha. This must be a Doce Pares thing. I'll leave it at that. Just my 2-cents, Doce Pares is a good organization. It has many great styles. Too bad, not everybody gets along well with one another.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's not a Doce Pares thing per say. I just think we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. I think taking yourself too seriously is the first step in a lot of wrong directions. It pays to be able to laugh. :)

12. Pat OMalley

I did not find it funny either. It was only when I pointed out that he had the www.dannyguba.co.uk link on his personal profile that he all of a sudden came back trying to imply it was funny, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick as they say:confused:

It does not help that he does not use his real name so we would never know if he was telling the truth or joking, or just trolling?

Most true Arnisadors tend not to slag styles off in that way, even jokingly, they just say it is a good style but not for them.

Maybe if 'User Name' told us a little bit more about himself then we might get the 'gist'

Best regards

Pat

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I honestly don't think anything was meant by it. But I didn't say it in the first place, so I'll bow out.

14. eddie_the_legen

eddie_the_legen New Member

Hi Pat, after looking for a reliable Arnis teacher for ages have just started training under John James in Bristol, been to about 3 or 4 sessions, everything looked ok to me but then again I'm a newbie to arnis so I dont really know what I should look for. Emailed Danny Guba's people and Bob Breen's Academy in Hoxton Square due to numerous reccomendations on this forum, so I'll definately try to check them out when I'm in london. However, was just wondering how well you know John James and your opinion of his teaching. On the Kapatiran Arnis website they say that he orignially started training under you in 1995, so if I'm looking for a reliable opinion yours would be it. Your views would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers :)

15. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Good place for me to jump in. I am a Tai Chi Chuan player and a recent Judo player who recently (3 weeks ago) got into Doce Pares. I was looking a while ago but could find a class, and while searching for Sambo clubs in Scotland, or all things, I can across Brian Simpsons website, and the place is a 5 minute walk away from me. Really enjoying it, as I knew I would.

So hello.

16. Pat OMalley

Yes, John is OK! he trained with me from 1995 to 2000 and I trained him up to instructor level, he then decided to take another direction before I got the chance to see him teach so I don't know personally what he is like as an instructor but he has turned out some good people like Dennis Russle so I am sure he is.

On the sport side of things he is also the acting President for WEKAF and WEKAF World Champion and has some good WEKAF fighters in his stable.

I would reccomend that if you get the chance to train with Danny Guba or Bob Breen (both top class instructors) or any of there guys too, give it a go, like anything in FMA, there is so much to choose from, keep your options open and have a look around until your satisfied you have the right style that suits you.

I am sure there are a few people here who could let you know what people are in your area or close by.

Best regards

Pat

17. eddie_the_legen

eddie_the_legen New Member

Thanks at lot Pat, I have been emailing Danny Guba's people but no reply yet, will investigate Bob Breen's Academy more, however I noticed I would have to pay monthly for a whole year and I'm not sure if I want to commit to for that length of time yet. Also contacted a JKD guy called Tim Harding about kali/escrima lessons but no reply. Lastly got in contact with Jude Tucker who gave me his number and invited me down to a class, but it would be on the other side of london (3hours there and back) however am willing to travel as far as I need. Anyways I'll continue to train with John in Bristol and definately chase up Danny Guba and continue looking for schools in the West London area.

18. Pat OMalley

PM me and I will give you the details of some of the other guys in London too and if you like if you give me your contact details I can get Danny to contact you. And I will have an ask around for other people near to you too, that way you can check them all out and see which ones suit you best.

Best regards

Pat

19. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

with bob's place its £75 per month or something like 600 odd in advanced for whole year and 300 odd for six months