Doboks or no Doboks in hot weather or physically demanding lessons?? lets debate.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TheMadhoose, Jul 19, 2013.

1. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

My opinion is;

That t's our dobok that gives us our identity and is designed to instil pride in the practice if Taekwon-Do whilst worn. Maybe it's just me being petty, but it really gets under my skin the amount of people who think the dobok is a hindrance to their training.

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I've never worn a dubok, but I can relate with my gi. I didn't used to wear my gi top on hot summer days but I do now. Now that I have a nicer thick one it breathes better, and as an instructor I feel it's important to look the part.

3. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I'm of the opinion that some traditions should not be followed because they are (imo) stupid.

At my new class they train in a T-shirt with the dobok trousers on. I just wear shorts and a T-shirt (Haven't got my training gear yet)

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Dobok. It's important.

It's not as if any doboks are heavyweight these days anyway, and if students are spending time worrying about their clothing the classes aren't hard enough.

Sweat is the sign of a good lesson, not poor clothing.

Mitch

5. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

If you begin in taekwon-Do you are in most cases these days supplied with a free dobok and belt. If that is the uniform then accept it and adapt to exercising in it. in 25 years ive never not wanted to wear my dobok in training. im interested to find out why this has become abnormal

6. Mitch

The only change I've made to the standard dobok is to introduce a club dobok which is 16oz and allows us to use limited grappling in dojang sparring for those interested.

Nobody has to buy one and I sell each one, delivered and embroidered at waaaay below RRP because I want people to be able to enjoy the option if they wish.

Otherwise the dobok is a piece of equipment and a uniform and excellent value given how well they last.

Mitch

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I always felt the dobok was a bit too light for cold days training so came into it's own on hot weather days, but then I came from a karate background, and now suffer the heat in a judogi which is the hottest I've ever been (and not in a good way).

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I really enjoy the formal uniform (dobok) nd find the WTF style v-neck to be great in warm weather.

On the Combat Hapkido side, we wear doboks but have also allowed a great deal of flexibility (it's more of a self defense focus, so street clothes are more acceptable). Commonly, many students will wear dobok pants and a teeshirt (with the Combat Hapkido crest on it) - looks good and is a nice alternative uniform. If I know we will be doing clothing grabs or such the following week, I ask people to wear a formal top (or to bring one).

In the really hot weather, we had some TKDists who asked about teeshirts, so we got some with the association crest on them and they are very popular in the dead heat of summer (especially in sparring sessions).

So, long story short, I love the dobok and expect students to wear one most of the time. I don't mind an association teeshirt either... beyond that though, if you've ben a student longer than a month, you should have a proper formal uniform (an later can get an association teeshirt for occasional wear).

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I never really enjoyed the feel of a dobok (or gi in karate). If it's going to be used for grappling, like in judo, great. But for a pure striking art, I'm a much bigger fan of simple modern athletic gear. It's far easier to keep clean (none of this "wash on cold, air dry only" stuff), far cheaper to replace if it gets stained or damaged ($50 of Nike athletic clothes intead of a $200 "authentic" dobok or gi), and more comfortable to move around in.

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What will happen one day in your Judo class, you start to wear T-shirt instead of your Judo Gi. If you wear 3 for $10 T-shirt, there won't be much to "pull". What will you replace your Gi-pulling with?

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Nobody is saying a gi is bad for judo or BJJ. This thread is in the taekwondo section, and in TKD a dobok's only purposes are aesthetics and tradition.

12. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

In my Kyokushin class we will wear a dogi regardless of the ambient temperature as it is thin anyway and in cold weather we just move more! In my last Jujitsu session we were permitted to train in T-shirts and gi bottoms due to the weight of the Judo gi and the fact it was around 30deg.

Bottom line IMO is that it is the instructors call.

Osu!

Dan93

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I'm kind of in the middle with this , on one hand I feel a gi/dobock is a nice , smart training uniform to wear.
    On the other hand , if you look back in history they're basically just loose training clothes of the period , and if you really dig you'll find that many early karate ka just wore an obi very similar to Sumo players.
    In extreme(?) weather like the UK is currently experiencing common sense must prevail , when planning your lesson it's advisable to tailor it to the current climate and scale back the aerobic elements of your class , but , if you do want to push harder , maybe give people the option of suitable shorts and tee shirt.

14. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Just for clarification, the club wears a full Dobok for formal events like gradings and competitions. I have no problem with that. But in this heat I'd rather wear T-shirt and shorts

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm with those who say that for classes in extreme heat I don't see anything wrong with allowing t-shirt and shorts (especially those made of modern wicking fabrics) or dobok trousers and a t-shirt. I don't have a problem with uniforms for competitions or gradings, but a bit of flexibility for class sessions can't be a bad thing.

For the same reason, I don't see a problem with people wearing rash guards under judo gi, or more layers in winter if the training environment is cold.

I've never been a fan of sticking to tradition for tradition's sake, particularly if there are better options available for specific circumstances.

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I had my first experience wearing my gi in the hot weather just now. Yeah irs a bit sucky at the start bht you should be focused on technique anyway. The only thing I would add is I've seen gyms that train hard in the heat with heavy gis on and instructors being very strict on water breaks. That I think is dumb

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm with Bassai and Frodo. The "uniform" in it's origin is in fact the OPPOSITE of smart. A gi is the Edo equivalent of long johns or shorts and T-shirt. It's not a uniform, it's stuff you don't mind sweating and rolling in. It's another of those false traditions we were talking about in another thread.
    Certainly with my school I've ditched the mandarin tops in favour of T-shirts and at the moment I'm allowing shorts. If the demographic of my class was different I might have people wearing board shorts anyway.

18. Mitch

Except of course that we're talking about TKD, which comes from a very different background where the concept of uniform is much more relevant :)

Mitch

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If people want to wear t-shirts I'd make sure I did a couple of weeks worth of collar chokes and lapel throws.
    See how long their t-shirts last. :)

These days I view a gi or dobok as a piece of equipment rather than a "uniform".
    Like some pads or a kick shield.
    A dobok is (or should be) something that can be grabbed, pulled, controlled etc.
    Just like your day-to-day clothing will/can be in a fight or SD situation.
    And as such should allow you to train in that way.

Now the flip side of that is that if your uniform can't be grabbed, pulled or controlled without ripping or getting destroyed then it's not really serving as a useful piece of equipment IMHO.
    It's just some formal bit of clothing. Might as well be dressed as a Beafeater or Evzone.
    And as far as I can see most TKD doboks aren't very useful as a piece of equipment in that way.
    A sewn v neck will just rip, thin material will come apart at the seams.

So while I can see the use of a proper training gi or dobok (like the ones Mitch has at his club) I can't see much use in a lightweight, v-neck TKD dobok when all you'll be doing in it is kicking and punching.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

What, the background of ripping off Shotokan wholesale ;)