Do you work at a game shop...good luck with that

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kosh, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Has anyone who works for game or EB or whatever actually concidered that in maybe 10 years (if your lucky), your business wont have anything to do. All games will be downloaded and boxed games wont exsist.

Well probably get hardware for free on some sort of contract...like mobile phones.

2. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

nice to see a positive post :D

3. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

If I work at a video game shop in 10 years, I am already a failure regardless.:D

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

With the amount of film piracy you could probably say the same thing, also with music, no point going to concerts, no point having a band anymore, no cinema, no tv, no stereo....get where i'm going with this?
    By the way, compare to the technology we have now to the tech 10 years ago. Now imagine the tech we might have in 10 years time based on the jumps we had in the past.
    Developers arent stupid, they know this kind of thing is happening, and something will be done about it.

5. Kosh

Kosh New Member

music is different since its a performance art. Doest matter how advanced things get there will always be concerts.

Scheduled tv will probably disappear soon once on-demand tv becomes available, probably same with radio.

It seems like a fair major problem for a company like game since they only sell computer games and hardware and they are a big company. They will have to start changing soon.

*as for the music industry, they need to get used to the internet instead of trying to demonise it. Its gonna happen sooner or later, people are going to realise that there is no place for record label companies any more...that has them scared. If you downlaod an mp3 you can legally gain the rights to use it for a few pence, the record companies are trying very hard to keep this a secret.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I dont know about 10 years lol... thats alittle optimistic. Considering the distance between the birth of the PS1 and the PS2 has been 10 years give or take a few months... what expansions have we seen since then? Online gaming for the consoles and thats it.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Did you know that if you make floppy discs you'll be bankrupt in the next five years, CDs and Zip drives will make floppy discs redundant.

Did you know that if you sell CDs you won't have any product within four years, DVDs are going to make CDs redundant, along with MP3 players.

Did you know that if you sell audio tapes then you won't have anything to sell within three years, because CDs are going to replace books on tape.

Did you know that if you make game consoles your product is going to become obsolete, since PCs can run any game a console can run.

Did you know that actual film cameras are going to become obsolete, since digital cameras will replace them within two years.

I've heard so many of these prophecies, and I've yet to see one come through.

8. Kosh

Kosh New Member

you can sell cds instead

you can sell dvds instead...no big leap

thats not true. licensing make some games console only. and consoles run games better.

shops like game only sell consoles and games...thats what the do. There is no replacement. Its not like switching from cds to dvds or floppies to zips. Games will be downloaded and eventually hardware will be free. Boxed games wont exist. Its not a change of format, its extinction of a market...their entire market. Comparisons to cd to dvd are inaccurate.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

This is far FAR from 10 years away though... and hardware won't ever be free.

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

You are a little confused...

Why would I NOT go to a concert of a band whose CD I had downloaded?? HUH?????

I totally do not get where you are going with that haha.

Why do developers care if their game is distributed on CD or downloaded? They might prefer the download model, because somebody has to write the software that allows people to download the games...

Even if I could download any game I wanted to buy, I think I would still prefer to get a box - a CD backup copy of my game (in case my HD crashes I can re-install my game), and printed manuals are very important. I can't refer to a PDF of a manual while in the middle of a game... Also a lot of games come with cool extras like maps, posters etc. I love that stuff.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

People always prefer to spend monet on someone thats tangible and they can hold in their hand :)

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Very true. A hard copy of something also has the benefit of being able to be put back to the PC/CD player on should your hard drive get wiped.

13. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

I wonder if you'll ever buy a "perpetual license" rather than a "game"? :eek:

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Plus the fact that the world is full of alot of people who don't understand the internet, don't like, or feel confident in buying software online... so if all games were to be downloaded at a price, then there will be ALOT of money lost.

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

And of course, there's also the fact that its somewhat easier to put copy-protection on a CD than on a downloadable game. Sure, the CD can have copies of it burned, or be pirated in other ways, but its still more effort than just downloading a game from a mate.

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

10 years ago 'they' said that by today computers would be so friendly and simple that anyone would be able to install them. The days of the IT Professional were numbered.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. :D

17. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Thats working on the assumption games will be the same as they are now, where you buy a game and thats that.

I think games in the future will not work like this, more games will require internet access. I think games will need licences rather than one of payments.

People are talking about rather than accessing the internet for content, you will eventually access processing power through distributed networks.

As for hardware being free, i didnt say that Bill Gates did. You can get very expensive phones worth hundreds for nothing on contracts...

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

There are times though when you just don't want to play a multiplayer game against other humans. Its kind of nice to be able to mow down hundreds of mooks without people accusing you of cheating, or without being totally outclassed by every other player on the server.

You can get very expensive phones worth hundreds for nothing on contracts, yes, but on the same note you can buy a PC for 'nothing' on a credit payment scheme. And as for the processing power through distributed networks, its great...right up until your internet connection goes down and you can't even play solitaire.

19. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Im not nessasarily talking about multiplayer games, games my require an internet conection to play. They might automatically search for new content and a user license.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Right, so I won't be able to play games on my laptop except when near wireless connection areas, and if I've not got a wireless laptop or an account with the relevant area I'm pretty much doomed. If I have a LAN set up without internet access for security reasons then games are out on that too.