Do you think TKD can help you win mma tournaments or just a regular fight?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Marc936, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Mjelva

Mjelva Banned Banned

Well, dude...I'm not claiming I'm a taekwondo eleventyfirst dan or anything.
    But based on my own experiences, and based on the taekwondo I've seen in K1 and MMA, I'm really not all that impressed.

No kidding. That's about as artistic as I'll ever want for.
    It's beautiful.

2. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

Thanks, and I take your point about damage limitation and not being flashy. But it just seems that that type of thing only recquires fitness training?

3. Mjelva

Mjelva Banned Banned

Oh no. The level of physical fitness found in these fighters is certainly at the level you'd find in top athletes in other sports, but it requires a lot more than just being fit.
    Yes, there are generally quite fewer techniques trained than in styles such as taekwondo. To put it simply (though overly so), a boxer has three main punches: straight, hook and uppercut.
    I can see how that would seem very simple to you if you haven't tried it, but a jab isn't just a jab. It's drilled to perfection through years and years of training.

In my opinion, this is the type of fighting that requires the most expertise of any.
    You need to be able to deal with punches, kicks, knees, takedowns and submissions both standing and on the ground, as well as being pounded while you're lying down. No other form of fighting gives you that, as far as I know.

I really think you should stop by that gym, and see what it's like.

4. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

Might just do that.

There's a guy where I used to work who wanted to do Muay Thai, but only if I went with him. I think I might go.

5. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

just found this and though it fitted in quite well with your question. This is where the kick is used properly.

Mjelva - take note this is what you refer to as..........pussified full contact - I quote.
    remember this guy has a head guard.

http://www.gkko.com/videos/2166/kickboxing

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

7. UmYang

UmYang New Member

any good style if useful. tkd has many schools that sell belts and not fighting skills. just find a good school and itll help. the fact that you were 8 when you learned it might play a role too. i have seen people in tkd take down boxers, karate practitioners and jujitsu artists. but ive also seen tkd black belts get taken down by the white belts at their schools. just train hard, learn in a good school, and make sure you try to avoid having to fight in the first place.

8. I have to say that video has shocked me totally. Is that the WTF? Why on Earth did he not even THINK to move or have his arms anywhere near his head. He literally stood there, the most defence he did was raise his foot to knee height, while his arms stayed slack and that kick cracked him square on.

I really hope that guy never gets into a real fight. Is that just two bad fighters or do you actually get taught to fight like that? :eek:

9. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

It is always easy to be an armchair critic, but it is a different thing entirely when you are in the ring and in an instant you are getting kicked in the head. I would like to see your superman-like reaction to the same kick and then your comments might hold some water.

As you can see, the guy who got kicked was just making a small testing kick to perhaps get the other guy on the defensive and the opponent took advantage by immediately attacking while the first guy was regaining his stance. The timing was absolutely perfect. Of course, I know you would have seen it coming a mile away...and made the absolute perfect defense of it... :rolleyes:

10. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Agreed, and for what it's worth I've got penty of videos of TAGB and ITF fighters also getting kicked in the face, it's not a WTF exclusive thing ;)

11. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

That was a beautiful nahtabon. Watching the video, I'm not even sure a high gaurd would've helped. Maybe the guy would've not been knocked out cold, but he would've been rocked anyway.

Here's the thing about the kick. It's VERY deceptive. It looks slower than it is. You think you could see it coming a mile away. But my experience is that is not the case.

First, it's a kick delivered from extremely long range. It styarts well outside of anybody's kicking range. The thing is it covers a slot of distance quickly. So, from where your opponeent starts the kick, you're feeling like they're out of attack range...then all of a sudden they aren't.

Second, the kick involves a bit of an optical illusion. As the kicker turns, they are closing distance. The thing is...normally, when a person turns away they are moving away from you. I find the back turn sort of "hides" the initial approach a bit (unless you're REALLY used to seeing this kick head on) and that lends another laye rof surprise.

Third, when I see someone turning that way, I'm expecting something like a back kick. That jump followed by the Ahn chuggi or doleyo chuggi cna be surprising.

Fourth, even if you put up a gaurd, that inital knee motion can be used to clear the gaurd opening up the target for the kick to follow. (I've learned this from bitter personal experience).

I remember vividly the first time I sparred a guy who was proficient in that kick (and other so-called flashy kicks). He was very far from me and I felt pretty confident that I was safe for the moment. I was jsut working out how I could cut in and catch him with a kick when he started turning. My mind went "oh look, a jumping kick, I should side step and..." BAM!! I got nailed with two kicks. the first kick knocked down my hands (held up protecting my head a upper chest), the second kick nailed me high in the chest almost knocking me over. If it weren;y for the fact I'm big and solid with good balance I would've been on my **** :D

I've found that the best counter for taht kind of attack is to jam the guy as soon as they start the spin (sometimes throwing a quick kick other times just shortening the distance). That tends to disrupt the kick better than trying to evade backwards or side to side (where I jsut get chased about the ring). the only problenm is if they adjust and throw a shorter range back kick as I'm closing in...that hurts. :)

Anyway, just my thoughts on that.

Peace,
    Erik

12. Armchair critic? If you say so. I've been in the ring. And I've been in fights in the street. I never said that I would have been able to block that kick. But I sure as hell would have had my hands somewhere near my head while in a match. Why on Earth would you have your hands near your belt? If his hands had been guarding his head, or even just his chest, he might have stood a chance at blocking that kick.

13. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

This has been covered time and again. Do a search for it.

What t boils down to is this, the rules for WTF competition favour people who keep their hands down. You might not agree with the rules but don't presume to know how to fight better than people who regularly compete under the rules.

14. robsnotes4u

robsnotes4u New Member

The reason I joined this forum after viewing for awhile is because of people like THomas, great posts

15. Your encouraged to not guard your head?

16. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

i have to agree, its specific to WTF, Olympic sparring. Mainly because most points are scored on the chest protector. Having your arms up leaves this scoring area wide open and you wouldnt even need to go for the head. The arms down allows you to palm kicks away easier and then counter.

17. Well that's seem absurd to me. But then I'm not WTF, and I like to train in a manner that would benefit me in a real confrontation.

18. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

well then you've learned something new. there are no rules saying you cant adjust your guard to the situation. just because this style of sparring favours a low guard doesnt mean you would keep that low guard in a real confrontation

19. Actually it kinda does. The purpose of repitition in a martial art is to drill the movements into your mind. If you consistently spar, hands low for years and years, then you'd feel un-natural having your arms over your head.

20. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

there is some truth in that. I suppose if you went to a club that only trained olympic sparring then maybe your guard would suffer and you would be less effective in a real situation. Most WTF clubs however get involved with Sport TKD but it is only one aspect. They still train in traditional TKD, self-defence etc. It depends on the club.