Do you teach all you know?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Bobster, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

I have to acknowledge that secrecy has been, and to a certain extend still is, a tradition in our school too. Ist has to do with the rivalry between schools in the 'old days' and the understanding that our core asli techniques are to precious to us to hand out to just anyone, but also out of respect to previous generations and the 'tactical' issue. We still do not allow outside people to videotape our training sessions and students are still asked (not really by a pledge but it's to be taken seriously) not to demonstrate the techniques without prior approval of their most senior teacher. The 'kepala pergeruan' or 'kepala aliran' is very well allowed to share his silat with others he respects. It is up to his personal judgement how far he will go in sharing. Not being forced to go the whole depth by the outsider may help in the extension of his comfort zone.

Our 'secrecy' reasons has nothing to do with the possiblity of using it against our own teacher though.

Hormat,
    Pekir

2. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

3. jbkenpo

jbkenpo New Member

In the systems I teach there are very specific curriculums, base techniques, basics, forms, etc... What instructors will do is teach all the material, but leave out some of the finer points so that when they go through the same material the second time (phase 2, or whatever) they can now share some of the "secrets" that the student wasn't ready for previously. That allows you to string them along and keep the upper hand, while still pulling in those monthly dues. I don't believe in this. I share what I know to the best and fullest of my ability, people come to train, but they stay for the personality of the instructor, the knowledge, the friendships and the common interest.

As one of the few people on this board (from Houston, TX) that been to Bobbe's house (in Seattle, WA) (another great story) I can tell you that he has all of the above. His guys are happy, skilled and well adjusted (even if their instructor isn't well adjusted..lol). I've never seen students laugh so much and get right back down to business without missing a beat. Bobbe is a sleeper in the MA community (most people don't know him and I think he likes it that way), he has a great deal of knowledge, shares without the expectation of return and puts a great deal of focus on delivery of information to the student. When I read his "yet to be finished" student manual I was like "wow, that's a lot of great info". I still use it as a personal reference for my FMA training.

With my personal experience I've never found people do any of the above concerns that were mentioned. Ultimately, my life is too short and time is too precious not to try to make as much of an impact and connection with those that give me the privilege of sharing what I've learned with them. With that you gain disciples and not just students.

jb

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  4. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Second what you say about Bobbe, especially the badly adjusted part :D

In all seriousness, EMAA is just about everything a Silat school should be. You can tell that the students get excellent instruction and are proud as hell to be his students.

When it comes to teaching everything I really don't know. Most students aren't ready for real depth right out of the gate. The simple drills we did in our first Silat class keep showing new depth. My understanding gets torn down and rebuilt a couple times every year. If Guru had dumped all that on us we wouldn't have gotten anything at all. Understanding and skill have to be built on a firm foundation a step at a time or all the secret techniques and hidden teachings won't do anything except slow you down.

5. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

I agree with you brother :)
    There is no secret techniques in Silat...In the course of learning, you will find many many times what I called a light bulb moments. It look so simple but yet is not as simple as it look, something like that :)
    As I had said many times, talking about silat is much easier than knowing and performing what we are talking about. In the eye of a true teacher, they know you but how you moves, regardless how impresive your background is or how many years you are in the arts. Its all about your moves :)
    And I could be wrong too,
    Tristan