Do you/have you smoked tobacco?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Judderman, May 7, 2004.

?

Have you or do you smoke tobbacco?

1. Never smoked

398 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. I quit

238 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. I smoke, but only socially

78 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. I'm a smoker

106 vote(s)
    13.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. martialmartian

martialmartian Valued Member

Smoked for 8-9 yrs, thought I quit a few times.
    I haven't smoked since jan 06.

I feel f___ brilliant for it!!!
    I didn't train at all back then so can't comment on fx on training. However, the odd timne I swam or ran I felt it...

used to get a lot of heart palpitations as well, and it seemed to affect my stomach too..

Tips for quittting.. for me sheer willpower, a supportive girlfriend, a month of boozing and the smoking ban. Done the trick.

m

2. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

good for you mate! smoking ban kicks in here in a month too hopefully that will work for me too

3. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I smoked for 11 years, up until my lungs packed up about 11 years ago.

I still have chronic asthma and have had two bouts of pneumonia (I'm 39 years old, incidentally) as a result of weakening my lungs with smoking. My mum has just been diagnosed with lung cancer and both of her parents died of it (I'm from a family of smokers.)

I can't take much credit for giving up because my lungs had had enough anyway and at the time I drank alcohol and just drank a bit more while I gave up smoking. I then gave up drinking a couple of months later.

After giving up both smoking and drinking, I took up martial arts (hooray!)

My advice for anyone would be PLEASE DON'T SMOKE and if you do PLEASE GIVE UP.

I've found for myself that the best way to give up something addictive is not to try. What I mean by that is when people "try" to give something up, they are already entertaining the possibility that they'll fail. In other words - they've given themselves a get-out-clause so when it gets difficult, they'll lapse. It just never seems to work. I found for me that the best way to give something up was to wean off over 48 hours then just stop. I found I had to keep up the mental momentum, without getting such severe withdrawal symptoms that I lost morale.

Good luck to anyone who is about to give up - you won't look back. :)

4. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

Never have never will ;) and why would you do something that afects your own health anyway? And I hate beeing stuck with a smoker they smell of fags and the second hand smoke just makes me wanna go :woo: on them smokers.

5. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

I smoke have done for 11 years, it's funny when i look back my dad smoked died of cancer and i was an avid hater of smokers + smoking until i joined the city after growing up with him as a smoker and being surrounded by it all the time when drinking, i feel that these things & stress ended up me being a smoker.

regret it i don't have words to describe it, i feel like a pariah most of the time but i just ignore it,i have quit two or three times for a few months at a time but each time i went back was in a smoky pub,with the ban and the new pill i am praying that it will be the final nail in the coffin and i can go back to being a non smoker like i was up until i was 26.

does it affect my training definitely i know i can do a lot better than i currently do purely due to cardio and the likes, saying that our grandmaster Ip Sui smoked until he died in his 90's ;-) but i won't be using that as an excuse!

6. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

yyeah same here.. ive given up a quite a few times but usually end up smoking again when i go out drinking with my mates who are all smokers .

im hoping on this ban as well. ;)

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

My friend's grandma smoked from the age of 7 to the age of 80 and everyone said "wow, she's smoked all her life and lived to this age!". Then she hit 80, got emphysema and lung cancer that then became systemic and she died. It catches up with you eventually.

8. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

agreed my grandad smoked all his life, then had breast cancer when checking him over they found his lungs completely clear after 70+ years smoking it still in the end was part of killing him :(

9. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Just give up, it's hard, I know, I did it.

GIVE UP SMOKING.

10. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

this should be have u ever smoked marijuana? that i can relate to.

11. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Well that's carcinogenic too - and hazardous to your mental health.

I'd stay clear of anything that clouds your judgement.

12. Drunkenfist

Drunkenfist New Member

Gave up about 4 years ago, I always find it strange when martial artist smoke. Although Im partial to a bit of broccoli now and then.

13. wayne649

wayne649 allie of the night

i smoked once 2 try it but i didnt lik it

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Who hasnt smoked abit of tweed. Great stuff.

15. NaughtyKnight

I actually really need to quit now. I had intended to quit while I was in thailand, but that turned out to not be a good idea. Smokes are $1 a pack there, and EVERYONE smokes. Being ****ed 90% of the time didnt help...

I actually woke up this morning with the worst smokers cough of my life. My lungs were itching and I felt like crap. Going to have to man up and go through the 3 days of hell again..

16. rtkd-badger

It has been 2 years, 3 months and 1 week since my last cigarette. :D

17. JHughes

JHughes New Member

never smoked (although i have tried it). one word to describe it, disgusting. it's just another way for the government to earn money.

18. NaughtyKnight

Anyone got any advice to make it past the first few hrs of a quit. Thats the time I struggle the most. I say i'm not going to smoke, throw my cigarettes out, get half way to work, and buy a pack. Driving me insane. I cant afford to smoke if I want to go back to Thailand in 4 months. :woo:

19. rtkd-badger

Yup, " Keep Smokin you dumb **** you will die a very slow and painfull death"
    Quoted by badger.
    You cant afford to smoke? Then why waste your money to die?

Give it up mate, you will feel so much better.

20. SimonW

SimonW Valuated Membeloid

I've never been a smoker, so have never had to quit (though I've smoked socially in the past), but weening yourself off the cigarettes slowly would seem the most sensible way to stop. You'll shock your body far too much my stopping suddenly. I'd suggest trying to have fewer cigarettes each day until you've stopped completely. Hope this helps.