Do you have a progressive mind set?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by MCM_WingChun, May 6, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Totally agree with that last post Simon.

This is what I was talking about. For what I personally like on MAP, let the quality of the technique, or lack of it, be the main focus of the discussion. That is what I personally like seeing discussed and challenged if need be.

One thing that bothers me in many videos - from him and others - is how the teacher lets the student do all sorts of bad mechanics to make the instructor look good getting the better of them. This is - again - really prevalent in push hands demonstrations. I bring this up because I see similar issues with Push hands and Chi Sao demo's.

If one is an instructor, I think it reflects poorly when this happens. Better to be showing what you can teach - that your student has good mechanics and structure. Rather than just well honestly showing off your supposed prowess by whupping your student. I am far more likely to want to learn from someone who is demonstrating the ability to have the student be good.

Generally speaking, an instructor whupping a student with terrible mechanics does not impress me. It tells me you are more concerned with looking good than imparting your knowledge.

Obviously, when an instructor does not display good structure, that is a bad thing. But I wanted to address other things here.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    David Harrison, Grond and axelb like this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Trying to get something standing into kimura using the backs of your hands. I find it hard when I have a tight grip and the opponent is in a compromised position.

I don't see this working on anyone remotely uncompliant.

Stepping back or circle outside seems like a better option.

Dunc likes this.
  3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah even with a standing kimura you have some positive leverage and it’s difficult given the mobility of the arm, but the technique shown has the opposite….

axelb likes this.
  4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't understand why the wrist grabbing is not part of his training. He may not like to grab, but he can't expect his opponent won't grab him.

[​IMG]

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm just a boxer who dabbles in Tai Chi and Karate, so I'm not going to propose that I know what the OP is attempting to demonstrate. But, many people seem to disagree with his approach, so I'll take a stab at this, not from a kung fu perspective (because I know nothing about kung fu) but from the perspective of a plain Jane boxing guy, since that's the range I think we're talking about here.

Conceptually what you're showing might work. A lot of clinch fighting is about tying and untying yourself from the opponent. Breaking away (or breaking inside) is all about feel, and it's especially important in boxing because in a boxing match there are those times you just need to clinch and reset.

It becomes instinctive with enough practice, and my instincts tell me a body blow with your left fist is a better solution to your problem, in a nutshell. It's great that you film yourself, but do yourself a favor and learn from it what you're doing wrong. Otherwise you might get caught up in what you think is right. I used to think punching was the whole point of boxing, boy was I 99% wrong.

axelb likes this.
  6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When your opponent pushes one of your arms up, if you only pay attention on his pushing arm, you may not pay enough attention on his

- shoulder,
    - free arm, and
    - free legs.

IMO, it's not only your opponent's pushing arm that you have to deal with. When your opponent pushes up your arm, he is not doing that without a good reason. If you just deal with his pushing arm, you are already one step behind him.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

This is a much better demonstration of what would happen if the person is pinning the arm up with forward force. At the point that the posture is broken in the OP video can be also seen here, and reaction is much hard. Landing a strike or moving must be done sooner rather than when the OP video shows.

@YouKnowWho demonstrates what a non compliant person would be doing in this situation, not pausing and waiting for subsequent moves to be applied.

I think it would be hard at that stage to do much, I think pivot and/or sprawl attempt maybe as a last resort?

David Harrison likes this.
  8. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Yes I know that.. its not about that..its about pushing yourself and knowing your body..

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The thing is, it's going to take more convincing than just telling us, because it looks like the very opposite of pushing yourself. It looks like the usual tricks and bad habits that people fall into when they do not have meaningful resistance in their training.

axelb likes this.
  10. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

My Sifu gave me permission to teach many years ago.. I've been training in Wing Chun since I was a freshman in high school.. I've formally trained with 6 sifus and many many others as well.. I've spent 40+ years training in martial arts ..

11. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

The simple answer is if you have control over your body in how it moves then its easly to redirect forse in any direction.. if you don't have a good understanding and control over how your body can move then you'll be stuck and from your point of view say I have broken structure or have bad technique..

12. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

13. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Structure is felt but can look like anything..if you think structure is an angle or holding your hand a certain way then you have a very different view point then myself... just come visit me.. I'll be in Florida next week you can experience your self..all the talking in the world will not satisfy yourself.. That is what I would do.. I would go personally and check it my self..I've traveled to the Philippines. Indonesia and all over the U.S. seeking out high level sifus. I don't make any judgment untill I've exchange blows..

We were told, "I have trained under six grandmasters", yet that doesn't reflect in the movement.

If you are on MAP to discuss technique that's one thing, but to come here and say, "this is how it's done and the rest of you are wrong" is going to get a challenge.

Can you tell me where the structure is here?

14. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

I dont have to convince you..I don't care it's up to you..

15. Dunc

Hi
    When I refer to structure and leverage I'm meaning the physics or body mechanics
    So for example you're lifting your opponent's right elbow, which is a relatively short lever (ie half way down the arm) and in a strong biomechanically sound position by being orientated with the forearm pointing up, with the back of your left wrist, which is at the end of your lever (arm)
    Can you see how this is a disadvantageous/negative leverage?
    Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 18.52.15.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 18.50.00.png

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Then why post videos at all, if you don't care?

SWC Sifu Ben and axelb like this.
  17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I can tell you where it isn't.

1.png 1.png

Oh dear. Internet challenges.

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    SWC Sifu Ben and axelb like this.
  18. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

I care about my content but whether you agree with it or not i dont really care..Its up to you..

19. Dunc

Fair enough, just doing my best to offer objective feedback in the spirit of being helpful
    FWIW when I have posted videos on MAP the feedback I’ve had, whilst uncomfortable at times, has made me challenge my thinking and I’m better as a result

axelb likes this.
  20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

So, please clarify. Are you posting videos to support having a discussion about a topic on this martial arts forum?

Or are you just using MAP to promote your Youtube channel?

axelb likes this.