Do those of you here feel that JKD is the most "perfect" system?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Saved_in_Blood, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The truth is in experience - as I pointed out your ONE experience is matched by the diametric opposite in a ratio of 3:1

Of course *I* don't view this as a statistical significance in terms of making an incorrect blanket statement...YMMV

2. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

the truth is, i despise JKD practitioners, i think they're all a bunch of puffed up amateurs, regardless of whether they do OJKD or JKDC or MMA or whatever the hell people call it nowadays, the whole JKD scene is more mystical than realistic, and unfortunately the JKD ego has left a mark on my opinion of them

but in JKD's defense, since i too am a JKD practitioner, you could easily argue that the same thing is occurring in other martial arts as well, not just JKD

so i guess what it all boils down to, at least for me, is that i don't have time to type up and post all kinds of untrue statements - which really are a waste of time - as i am more down to earth than most of the people i've met in the martial arts, JKD included, and i guess the short of it is that i'm just not impressed any more

the whole braggadocious internet babbling and the one-touch death punches, giant arguments over the web about who's better than who, or how big their muscles are compared to someone else's, it's well - just primitive to me

lately i haven't been skimming the web as often because, well, i'm just too busy training and living my life to be bothered with all the nonsense, especially when 90% of it is all bullcrap, regurgitated theory and a lot of jibberish with absolutely no basis in facts

the fact of life is this - the biggest, hardest, strongest, fastest man alive will still succomb to someone greater than himself, and even the most experienced and most well respected martial artists get their butts handed to them, sometimes by common street thugs with no martial arts training at all - and this is a fact, not fiction, so why glamorize it with fanciful proverbs and concepts? martial arts is awesome, yes, but it isn't the holy manual for hand to hand combat

i just don't see the point, that's all

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Whoa... somebody's off their meds. :eek:

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Talk about a Martial Arts Hipster, good lord. Did you climax while stroking your own ego in that post?

5. Hannibal

I actually agree with many aspects of your core point - but when a "truth" clashes with yours you cannot just dismiss at as bravado, pomposity or any other such epithets

You post an "anecdote" as a fact yet decry others for doing the same? Hypocrisy much?

You will find I am quick to point out shortcomings my own background, training and experiences - just I am ready to point out what the benefit from them was. I don't offer anything that is not empirically proven or tested.

My speech and posting method is the same as my fighting; simple and direct. However my tongue is often firmly in my cheek and you will find that the lack of face to face takes away many nuances that soften what I say

Sometimes though I just call it as I see - see above

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Anyone who kicks someone in the groin during a "friendly" sparring match is just the worst type of butt munch. And then to post a holier-than-thou thread about how folks aren't living up to their morality? Goddamn dude, Fujian, you are just an awful sack of horse manure.

7. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

i suppose i am

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, no kidding. (Though watch the personal attacks please. I agree with the overall sentiment, but rules are rules.) He pegs his "friend" in the jumblies hard enough to end the sparring match. And then says HE came away with a negative impression of JKD? And this after claiming that he used proper JKD to win that match in the first place?

Fujian, your thread on martial arts etiquette relates here. You and your friend have a dispute about JKD, so you decide to have a friendly spar. You're so committed to winning that debate that you cracked him one in the boys. I think it's your own etiquette you ought to be reevaluating at this point.

9. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I think I'm just going to cancel my satellite and make MAP my home page, the drama is just so good. :evil:

Hmmm... I have one year left before I'm a jorneyman, maybe ill look into going to SAIT. I'm kind of curious about JKD and have a total Hard on for Hannibal. How far is your Dojo From SAIT?

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Sorry, I think I'll take a break from Fuji's threads for a bit. Thanks for the warning.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure he didn't curse while sparring and was perfectly clean, and totally didn't have a smoke, go to the bar, or hire a prostitute afterwards. :p

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don't worry. As I said elsewhere (of my own behaviour), these things have a way of escalating when you care about something. :)

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Safe to say his friend didn't need one either, after getting kicked in the stones.

14. Hannibal

The dojo in in the SW on Lake Fraser gate....there is a C Train nearby

However I also teach out if my home in the NW - if you are free at 7 tonight I train my "trunk monkeys" and you can join in or watch if you like

15. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Still in the north, however in a years time if I have my hours sorted out, I'll take you up on that offer.

16. Hannibal

I'll still be here :)

17. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

So the above reminds me of something I've wondered a bit. I believe the JKD concepts folks have in general integrated a lot of MT, BJJ, FMA, Silat etc. into the starting point of the original JKD. I think I read in one of Hannibal's posts that even with all the above included, his teacher still taught trapping and WC type ideas as well.

So my question is, in general - do most JKD concepts folks still teach a core of the original JFJKD, and build out from there with all the other styles I mentioned above? Are ideas like the straight lead, trapping, etc. still a big part of the system, or are sort of taught but not really focused on majorly?

I believe I have seen videos of Paul Vunak doing a lot of what to me looked like trapping and WC influenced stuff - so I guess a lot of that is still taught - but it seems to me a lot of the ideas of MT for example have a different philosophy than JFJKD. I'm just sort of wondering on how that is all bonded together. Is it sort of a case of the mark of a true genius (or at least good JKD person) is the ability to hold two seemingly contradictory ideas in mind at once?

Sorry if this is a rambling question.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's a really good question actually. I'm not sure I can answer it. One of my teachers is part of Guro Dan Inosanto's lineage, but doesn't seem particularly hung up on the JKD name in particular. I don't regard myself as having trained in JKD, precisely because I didn't do the classes that revolved around jun fan trapping and the "core" JKD. At most, I'll call it JKD Kickboxing, because what I did was kickboxing integrating the skills of Western boxing, muay thai, and lethwei (Burmese kickboxing). Not much fixation on the centerline (aside from its overlooked emphasis in the jab and cross of Western boxing).

I think it really depends on the individual teacher and what parts of the JKD experience ring most true for them. The centerline, trapping, etc. is all indicative of a certain phase of JKD. And many people feel it's not JKD without those things. Personally, I'm not in a position to say. But I think there's some grounds for suggesting that's not necessarily so, and that what really marks it as JKD is the research process.

Very long-winded way to say "I don't know, but good question." ;)

19. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I laughed, cringed, and damn near dislocated my jaw. Thanks, ap. :p

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How's THAT for the art of fighting without fighting. Not only did I nearly dislocate Rand's jaw without throwing a punch. I wasn't even in the same room.

I've got the glow. :D