djinn and spiritual silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by alex0000, May 18, 2006.

1. alex0000

alex0000 New Member

can someone who’s is an experienced and knowledgeable silat practitioner please explain the meaning of 'djinn' and also the spiritual/paranormal aspects of silat...? it is rummered to be greatly supernatural and beyond the normal understading...

is it true or is it mythology and mysticism?

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

a 'djinn' is an elemantal spirit/force that some silat people 'invoke' and attain temporary abilities, such as increased speed, strength, etc...

They are to be avoided at all costs. Take no shortcuts in your silat.

3. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Wha? Do they rub a lap to get this to work?

4. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

I wouldn't say I'm that experienced or knowledgable :)

Djinn is usually spelt jin by Indonesians and stems from the Arabic for 'spirit'.

There is Silat which embraces such things & others which do not. However, you have hit upon a vast and controversial subject here.

As for truth or mythology that would entirely depend on the individuals belief system.

Here, google some of this with 'silat' and see what you get. Ilmu batin, tenaga dalam, dukun, hantu, jiwa & more that I can't think of at the minute.

Even if people did practice this sort of thing, it is not information that is usually given out freely.

Probably best to stick with the physical aspect for the first 10 or 20 years at least ;)

5. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Mate if you are rubbing 'laps' you've walked into the wrong club, or strayed into Northern Scandinavia :D

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

What are djinn? Depends on who you ask.

To Muslims and many Jews and Christians from the Middle East djinn are powerful supernatural entities. Some are supposed to be good. Some bad. They are all considered dangerous and to be avoided, especially if they make you an offer like "Dude! Tell you what. I'll teach you some really cool martial arts if you'll just let me set up shop inside your brain for a little while."

To the Western-style rationalist they are delusions and superstitions. If you start talking to the voices in your head you need to see a mental health professional.

Pick your explanation. It still comes out as a bad idea.

Back in the dawn of the Internet, when we had to carry packets from one side of the room to the other and wind the magnetic cores for our computers by hand there was a Pakistani guy named Khalid Khan. He did Serrada and some kind of Pencak Silat. Over a few years he got stranger and stranger. He talked about how djinn taught him Silat and whispered the locations of people's secret Death Spots to him. The Silat was good, he said, but only djinn could do it right because you need ten fingers on each hand to manipulate a knife the way they do. It just got weirder from there.

I don't know if the evil spirits had an independent existence or whether they were a consequence of his deteriorating sanity. Either way, talking to his invisible friends while they ate his brain didn't do him much good. And from what people said his Silat was pretty lame.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  7. shax

shax Valued Member

hmmmmm

it seems a lot of silat is involved in black magic and shirk.

however, some practice tassawuf and gain supernatural abilities but this is not the purpose of tassawuf. true sufis rarely use their supernatural abilities and when they do it is to help others.

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

That's a number ten-size can of worms, shax. I think there are a few things going on.

First, traditional Malay culture has a strong thread of animism and belief that there are lots of forces and spirits in the world that may be dealt with like other aspects of life. Naturally, this finds its way into areas where people are in danger such as fighting.

Second, some people just can't resist a shortcut. In this case I believe that the shortcut won't get you much but trouble. Whether there are "evil spiricks" as Popeye would say or not you can damage yourself pretty severely this way.

Third, most Silat is not like this. The overwhelming majority who just try to learn the art and become better fighters don't have time for the wierder parts. The ones who claim to have something more than hard work and time can offer make more noise and attract more attention.

I'd have dropped Silat within the first week or two if that sort of thing had been part of the program. Fortunately, my teacher is a devout Christian and has his head screwed on straight. His teacher says "The truth is hard enough. Don't give them b*******."

Are there spiritual aspects in good Silat? It depends on what you mean. The deeper you get into it the more you have to calm your mind and purify your heart. To really make any progress you have to put aside your ego and do something that sounds suspiciously like surrendering to that which is greater than the chattering monkey inside your head. As my teacher says "I can't give you Silat. All I can do is teach you to accept it."

9. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

I'm agree with you Todd in general, however, allow me to explain something that may be what Shax fail to explain...or may be not :)
    In the old days, the majority of silat elders are muslim and most of them is Kiai (we called devoted muslim that have been in Mecca for Haj), therefore, many used the silat it self as a vehicles to spread the muslim through out the area/region. As a matter of fact, many old silat system have an oath that all student must belief in Dua Kali mashahadapt (sp?) and to used the silat to help spread the Islam.

Now some of the old silat system mixed the islamic faith and the ritual/cultural habit. This is becoming confusing to some foreginer, even myself. Some of them can recite the Kur'an and used the prayer for speed, power, ilmu kebal, becomes invicible, etc. Many Indonesian Muslim scholars split on this issues: The traditional muslim are prohibited to do this kind of things. And the other, mostly in the villages and remote areas most silat players are still did this things.

Now days, religion is not the issue of learning silat. Some is still holding their old traditional belief and some is more progressive and compassionate.

Pak Lek never make a big deal about Silat, "Its only ilmu gerak badan." he said.
    I hope this will clear the mass confusion OR makes muddier :)
    Tristan

10. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

I Remember the Khan!!!

AAAAAGGHHHHH!! I remember Khalid!!! Hey, were you around when he advertised he was "Looking for a woman to marry him & learn the ancient art of Serrada"?!?

Poor guy was the butt of more jokes than Ashida Kim...It takes some doing, but he was.

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Tristan: Thanks for the clarification. It gets confusing sometimes. I was always taught that if the Almighty wanted a miracle it was going to happen and I didn't get a vote. Saying "If I do this He has to do that" was trying to be more powerful than G-d. It's probably a Jewish thing which makes it hard to look at the world in other ways.

Bobbe: Damn it! Now you've made me remember that part. And the "Silat for the homeless and the insane" and the prayers he said to Muslim Djinn (not Jewish or Christian Djinn, just Muslim ones), and the Death Spots and the picture of "Hot Babes with Big Sticks" ... and ... and ...

Definitely a few stick short of a full order of satay.

12. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

Jinn

ok.jin is a creation of God just like animals man and angels.they existed before man and satan is jin.they are created from fire.not only do silat people use their services but also fortune tellers and healers. in islam it is not permissible to invoke jin in these cases unless for valid reason. some silat use this power and kung fu as well. warning: do not attempt to experiment

13. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

Spiritual approach in Silat ranges from instilling good (religious) values to their students to rubbing the lamps and asking the favors.

Speaking of Djin/Jin, this reminds me of a saying, "The nicest Djin are equal to the baddest man"

14. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

“If you wanna kiss the sky Better learn how to kneel” U2, Mysterious ways ;)

15. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

WOW! Talk about a Freudian slip! obviously mean lamps :D

16. alex0000

alex0000 New Member

'a 'djinn' is an elemantal spirit/force that some silat people 'invoke' and attain temporary abilities, such as increased speed, strength, etc...'

far enough... but is it true do they exist, does it give people temporary abilities or is it all myths.. has anyone witnessed such things??

17. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

" The best of jinn is equivalent to the fasik (godless, sinful) of mankind "

18. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Are pesilats, or guru-guru silat, who seeked jinn as their wali never learn a lesson! IF, Iblis/jinn refused to prostrate to Prophet Adam as, by Allah’s SWT instruction (The Lord of Alamin [ Heaven, Earth and Anything in between]), what sureties that jinns will serve and keep their words to the “offspring of Adam” or mankind?

IT IS AN INVITATION TO HELL!

We seek Allah SWT as our Wali!

19. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

IMHO, we should say: We seek God as our Wali :)
    We respect and love one another in deed and trust!
    Its all about choices, the truth shall set you free.
    Tristan

20. Wali

Wali Valued Member

I'm flattered!! :p