DIY for complete and utter n00bs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Oh I see what you mean. We have tyres in our school but as it's a rented hall we can't and don't have posts to do such things so we simply get someone to hold it whilst someone kicks it.

Not an elegant solution mind...

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You'd think it'd be a simple task, cutting a tire in half, but not so much. I was really excited to get it all mounted yesterday and start using it too.

3. Chimpcheng

Heck, I didn't know tyres had wire until the first time I picked one up during tyre slamming conditioning and cut my hands to bits!

4. Chimpcheng

Oh, oh, things are looking up carpet, flooring and tiling wise.

The missus' boss has recently put down vinyl flooring and tiles in his own home and word of mouth suggests he's done a good job. If we want he'll do our conservatory, hallway, bathroom and en suite for the grand price of zero pounds and zero pence. The man just likes helping people it seems... Of course I'll throw him a few bones...

He'll even get one of his lads round with the van to get the old carpet...

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

The problem you face is that the rubber tends to foul the blade , a normal hacksaw tends to work.

Awsome !!:cool::cool::cool:

6. Chimpcheng

I was going to suggest hacksaw but wasn't sure if it would work. Worth giving it a shot like.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

A hacksaw was what I started with, and it didn't do diddly squat. A sawzall should technically work, but I think it's the thin wires inside that are screwing it up.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

shuto

9. Chimpcheng

Concentrate all your chi to a single point in your body (fingertips for example) and then strike in a downwards motion, letting all the midichlorians do their work...

10. Chimpcheng

Okay, an update on how I'm getting on with my new home.

The carpets and flooring have been laid, though there was brief panic when the shop rang to say the carpet was delayed, this was despite us waiting four weeks for it. As it happened all the floor bits came and was finished on Saturday.

Sadly, because we opted for a wood look vinyl in the conservatory instead of the carpet the previous owners had, there is a sizeable gap between floor and wall. For this I need skirting. Grrrrrrr!!!

I'm also having to paint other skirting boards (again) as helpers of ours didn't take care when removing the old carpet causes loads of paint chipping. This I'm nearly done (again).

Well, no rest for the wicked, I'm off to get more tools and stuff from Homebase...

11. Chimpcheng

Alright DIY fans?

Figured I'd resurrect this DIY thread as I am in need of additional DIY help.

I've just come home to find a fascia panel hanging loose from the frame of my garage door. Now, I've taken that sucker down for fear of it falling onto my car, passing cats or kids pinching it to hit each other with (what it's that type of neighbourhood), but I'm going to have to put it back up again.

I noticed that the thing was stuck on with some sort of double sided adhesive tape, so i did a Google and was met with a blistering array of tapes ranges in size and cost (I even chanced upon a roll of tape costing £90!!!)

Anyway, has anyone any recommendations? Thanks all. :)

Edit: just found tape for £125!!!

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If it is a simple push fit repair, how about no-nails.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-More-Nails-Water-Resistant-Cartridge/dp/B003UYTLYY"]UniBond No More Nails Exterior Water-Resistant Grab Adhesive Cartridge: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

Clean both surfaces first though. You may need to hold the fascia in place while the no-nails cures. You may be able to do that with duck tape or simliar.

13. Chimpcheng

Yeah, it appears to be a "stick fascia with adhesive" job, the thing was just stuck there with a double sided tape which is no longer sticky on the outer surface. I imagine trying to clean it off is going to be a pain... :(

The grab adhesive looks good and the two reviews sound like it is just what I am after.

Thanks man.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Some white spirits should help with the cleaning.

15. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Another vote here for liquid nails construction adhesive

16. Chimpcheng

Looks like this double sided tape that was used by the builders isn't a popular choice... :D

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Builders use what's cheapest. Not popular. ;)

18. Chimpcheng

So I've come to notice, what with my hollow doors... :/

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You mean the balsa-wood and cardboard type? Oh that's council house cheap! I have those!

20. Chimpcheng

Yap. Except I have a new build (ish) and only now am I finding out where the builders have skimped on...