Disagree or Thumbs down button.

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by CrowZer0, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Of course they can. It's not like it's a superpower. They just opt not to. But that point could go either way, now that I'm thinking about it. It's easy to misinterpret things on the internet. And the less effort you put into a response, the easier it is for the other guy to misinterpret it. On the flip side, you raise an interesting point that there may be less conflict if people could just press a button.

Keep making your case, regardless, CrowZero. You should offer your input. There's no question there.

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I like that you disagreed with the idea, that's where more points in my case came from. I pulled the "it will resolve conflicts" out of a hat. :D

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

What about a vote? I could make a poll thread and the people of MAP could vote on it.

The way I see it, MAP exists for it's posters. So if most want a disagree button, we should have one. And if most don't want one, then we should not have one.

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

i have used the dislike option on youtube when someone has put something that while not in the 'report' stage is still bad, but they are not going to listen to argument, i mean hey this is youtube with all the trolls you could wish for but rarely ever any form of PM to go into why

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like the idea to some degree. Many times i get to a thread after someone like ap has said what I would have liked to say but would still like to chime in in some way. I know I'd abuse it though. There are certain posters that seem to me to rarely make a constructive post. I'd be disagreeing with them all the time. We don't need any more negativity.

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Who?...What? :D

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I prefer the thanks facility - it rewards quality rather than punishing stupidity....and MAP has a plethora of that recently

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

If we had the disagree button, it might discourage stupid contributions which, in my opinion may decrease the amount of entertainment to be found in the fora.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It doesn't work on Bullshido and that is a VERY hostile environment to trolls/idiots

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've noticed that on other forums as well. Some like to leave nasty messages in the rep message, too. Then there are cliques who +rep each other just to increase the rep count. :bang: It's kind of fun, but I prefer the system used here.

11. righty

righty Valued Member

I would like to have something like it but I agree that in public forums such as this it would not work very well for reasons that have already been covered.

However I would like to have some way to give some sort of negative to the following sort of posts that I see around the place.

- Irrelevant replies. This is a grey area I know, but particularly when the advice is borderline bad it risks leading things off topic. Posts containing plain bad advice posts are normally replied in a way that shuts them down quickly by a more experienced poster/MAer. This also includes posts that answer a different question than one that was originally asked. Sure, extra information is sometimes useful but I'm talking to sort of thing that only muddies the water of a useful discussion.
    - Posts in area or about topics that I know from being around here for a while the person posting them has little to no experience in that particular area and writing the post as if they are an authority. For example, someone posting with some authority a reply about boxing technique when in the previous week they started their own thread asking for suggestions on a boxing school because they wanted to learn how to punch.
    -Just general stuff that adds nothing of value to the discussion and only lead things astray. I'm happy when something is at least funny but with some posts I wonder why people even bother.

Now none of these breach the TOS and most people who have been around for a while can ignore this sort of thing. But this sort of thing is also difficult to respond to politely to correct people as it often risks leading the thread astray and even comes off as a personal attack. The trouble is newbies around the place can have difficulties telling the difference between useful posts and ones that are full of air.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I had someone at wrok once said, "I agree with you today but I'll reserve my right not to if I can find a good reason later on". Are we going to have a button like "agree with you today but may disagree with you tomorrow" button too?

I hate the following discussion:

A: Iraq had no WMD.
    B: Wrong!
    A: Could you elaborate on this?

B just disappears into the thin air. B may be GWB or Dick Cheney but we still like to know how their decision was made.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The right mouse button function was my patent - US patent number 4,686,522. :p

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

After a discussion amongst the Mod team we have unanimously decided not to go ahead with a dislike button.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Mitch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.