Diminishing returns on privates?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hello i was wondering if for want of a better word there comes a point where its not worth buying more privates. Eg if you do 4 privates a week is it much improvement on 2 privates a week.

Basically I get about £600 a month free cash after rent and food. Iv seen the gym im going to be staying near does 5 privates for 125.

I do just about have enough money to be able to do 5 privates a week. Would it be worth it or would it be better doing 2 a week and not spending so much?

Sorry if this question seams confusing im not great at explaining concepts.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

On depends on your capacity to learn new things, and what training your doing instead of the privates.

If it's in boxing, having someone super skilled in padwork to train with, may be worth it if your already at a high level, if your not, but it's the only way to train it may also be worth it.

Personally considering we're gonna have a second wave of covid soon, I'd be making sure I'm saving some cash each month, so twice a week, some fitness work on my own, and 450 quid saved makes more sense to me.

Or even three times a week, and 350 saved....

axelb likes this.
  3. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

I've heard if you having diminishing returns on your privates there are over the counter medications to make them more robust. You should check side effects first though and consult your physician.

In seriousness though, I wouldn't be putting all your remaining money into privates

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Really just depends on how much time the instructors gives his students during group classes.

Myself personally I always try to get around all my students and give them some personal 121 time with me during a class, so I can help them with stuff they struggle with & so they know & understand they are more than just a number on my account balance sheet.

Other clubs, instructors may vary.

One private session a week for technique refinement is more than enough if you are doing regular group training as well.

I don't see any harm in doing more if you aren't getting any group training. 5 a week might be a bit much though, unless you are training for competition. You need some time to switch off and digest information.

axelb likes this.
  5. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

This is in addition to training twice a day in group classes. Its all bagwork atm though. I want to progress quickly and wonder how much money I should pour into privates over here and when its a waste of money.

6. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Thank you for all your advice. Ill keep the money for thailand or holland trips.

IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  7. IronMaiden1991

Travel while you can, when the covid passes I bet the travel industry will be wanting everyone just going and will cut prices. You could do a world tour and see everything you want.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd save up and go back to Thailand! What do you work as if you don't mind me asking? I can't imagine paying for 5 private sessions a week!

9. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Food delivery but I live in a squat so don’t have to pay rent or bills so 90% of what I earn is spending money.

I could do the 5/week its £125 for set of 5. Just wondering it its worth spending it or whether twice a week would be enough.

10. Pretty In Pink

100% I would go twice a week, save up like made to get to stay in Thailand. You'll learn more in Thailand in 6 week blocks alongside regular training than continue ions private lessons in the UK in the same time period.

11. Pretty In Pink

Also, there is really only so much you can absorb on a technical level. Sometimes it's better to focus on one or two things and drill the crap out of them.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would save for a rainy day. But if youre really in need for private classes...is 5 x a week really necessary based on your current goals?
    Maybe once a week? Do your regs, privates tweak what you need to do that week.

Dead_pool and IronMaiden1991 like this.
  13. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

I was doing 10x a week privates in thailand and improved relatively quickly. Thats why thought hey I can just about afford doing 5x a week and progress as quickly?

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Do one or two a week. Especially when actual practice of lessons may be difficult due to social distancing. Save the extra money for either a rainy day or to go to Thailand.

If you do a lesson or two a week, and find you absorb the lesson quickly, you can always opt to add more lessons, can't you?

IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  15. Pretty In Pink

The difference is there are no distractions there (well, at least not the usual kind). When you're over there most of your time is focused on just learning and improving. When you're here the lesson goes in one ear and out the other because of obligations and responsibilities.

At the end of the day you have to decide if you're improving as much as you think you are oright of that curve is lessening. You also have to consider burn out. This is your first year into martial arts and you've done great but it's a lifetime of learning ahead. It's up to you what you want to do with that time.

16. IronMaiden1991

Saving my money to go to Thailand is going to be fun. I'm hoping to hit Tiger Muay Thai up so I get a balance of seeing Phuket with some Muay Thai, Boran and Krabi Krabong. Should be a good time.