different types of boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Kadafee, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Kadafee

Kadafee New Member

does anyone know any other types of boxing than muay thai, kickboxing, san shou, savate and normal boxing.

i know alot of people are going to jump at me saying boxing means punching and/or muay thai isn't boxing it is its own art.

well what i mean by boxing is a art that uses similar punches such as jabs cross hooks uppercuts etc

2. Greg

Greg Valued Member

Umm... Slapboxing? Don't really know.

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

That could cover a lot of stand up arts, TKD and JKD come to mind although there are plenty of others.

4. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

There's a form of Hindu boxing called Musti Yudha or Mukki boxing. It's supposed to be a very hardcore style of boxing. Allegedly, some fighters can shatter coconuts with their fists because of the conditioning they put their hands through. There's a little snippit about it on this site-

http://tkdtutor.com/02Taekwondo/Styles/Other.htm

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Chinese martial arts, particularly southern CMA.

Hung Ga
    Choy Lee Fut
    Any of the Hakka styles (Dragon Shape, White Eyebrow, Praying Mantis), although these are nothing like you're idea of "boxing" yet they are strongly hand-based.

6. ongybaky

ongybaky New Member

wut kind of trainin do they use to be able to shatter coconuts wit their fists??

i remember i wuz watchin this thing on the discovery channel bout like monks and they were punchin metal everyday...does that actually work??

7. dimmak

dimmak Banned Banned

By the way, Muay Thai, or at least competiton MT in Thailand and other places have boxing already ingrained. Even along time ago in Thailand, boxing(similar to western Bx) was already incorporated into MT. Even the traditional art of MT is boxing along with leg kicks, elbows, clinches and knees. And reason why there was boxing in MT a long time ago without any MT fighter knowing of western boxing is because MT was a competition MA. And to succeed in a sport like MT, it was very crucial to know how to use your fists.

8. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I have two hands....the left and the right.

9. dimmak

dimmak Banned Banned

:Alien:
    Knowing how to use them most effectively is something you might not have unless you crosstrain with Boxing/MT

10. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

I don't really know to be honest. I had a heck of a time finding info on it. I gave up a long time ago.

11. KSWMark

KSWMark New Member

Theres a hell of a lot more ways to punch than just the 'boxing' way, knowing boxing doesn't always mean you know how to punch entirely, look at the back fist or hammer fist for example.

12. GrandmasterRoku

GrandmasterRoku New Member

Btw why is it people who take Savate or muai thai always take boxing? ?

Oh and to answer your question it seems you left out Wing Chung

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

That is a hell of a thread necro! Sheesh... 6 years in and WC comes up. lol.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c"]"It's Alive!!!" - YouTube[/ame]

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I had only been on the forum for 4 months when I made that post!

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Aside from the unforgivable necromancy he spelled it "Wing Chung" too!

17. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Because both those arts incorporate western boxing verbatim. I don't know about MT, but the punching rules for Savate are exactly the same as boxing - which makes boxing punches the most effective within that ruleset.

18. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Dambe

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWF_ARr91bs"][CNN] Traditional Nigerian 'Dambe' Boxing 2008.07.14 - YouTube[/ame]