Developing speaking another language?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by nready, Jan 3, 2008.

1. donb

donb restless spirit

Where i'm from, we have approx. 40 dialects and 2 lanuages, and, on top of that, had to learn english since all instructions in school is in english. I speak 5 languages and several dialects from my country and the very first thing i've learned was the "bad words" so i would know if they are saying something bad. Second, i try to think in that language instead of trying to translate it to a comfortable language since reverse translation will throw you way off target. Third, common conversation exchanges is what i aim for, normal responses, then i go to the more complicated forms of discussions. A lot of times, if you have the base word, people will undestand if your conjugations are off. Also, you have to do some tongue exercises so it can roll and twist to adapt to the language your using :D

2. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

interesting donb.

Would love to hear more in detail information.

That where my brain is kinda pointing me to. Prior to what I just read in your post, was thinking to truly get the language. I need to know the translation of the meaning and not the actual equivalent word to get the language as a conversational based idea.

3. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Hey nready.

My background v. briefly. UK - all English family. Studied French and Russian at school to 18. Also some Spanish at university. Did the teaching English abroad thing in Russia (twice, 7 months then 3 months) and China (3 months).

Clearly I've studied languages in a traditional, academic way and think that some knowledge is important. For example, I met English teachers in China who had picked up the speaking just from living there, but were frustrated at having to start painfully and slowly from scratch with the writing.

However, I completely and utterly agree with the main sentiment of replies so far that the best, most efficent, most interesting way to learn a language is to be in a country where's it's the first language. Girlfriends speaking that language is also good (though if you're not careful, their English might improve a lot faster than your...Mandarin, Thai...whatever. - That happened to me in Russia and China!)

As slip said, think what language you're most interested in. Then move there! Personally I like associating culture, history etc. with the language so it's more than just words. Btw it's very easy to find English teaching jobs in China or Thailand. Japan and Korea are very strict on qualifications. A good site for jobs is:

www.eslcafe.com

It's possible to live very cheaply in most southeast Asian countries, so you wouldn't need to save much to go, just be sensible planning and careful while you're out there. (Lots of people expect all foreigners to be super-rich).

The reason I say don't abandon all technical/academic learning is because it can make some things a lot easier. It might just be the way I like thinking, but having some grammar knowledge helps.

For example: In English, verbs decline by person and tense -
    Today, I am...
    Yesterday, I was...
    Today, they are...
    Yesterday, they were...

In Mandarin Chinese, this isn't the case. It would directly translate as:
    Today I be
    Yesterday I be
    Today they be
    Yesterday they be

So once you know the word 'be', you're sorted for I you he she we they, as past present or future. Not interesting, but very useful to know - saves time!

Similar principles for all languages. So...
    Go there, wherever there is, having read free internet sites and taught yourself the very basics.
    Meet local friends.
    Get some properly taught language lessons - maybe just a few hours a week.
    Listen, learn, copy the locals (heaven knows, when I first arrived in Russia nobody could understand me I had such a strong English accent!)

I haven't tried Rosetta Stone. It's heavily advertised, but you may be able to borrow something from your local library - we have a good range here, and that sort of thing is a good base.

It's quite late and I'm not entirely sure I'm making sense, so feel free to follow this up, ask questions, or point out where I contradicted myself massively.
    Cheers
    George

4. nready

Yea, the thing is I thought to teach in like any of those countries like China you need a bachelor degree. Yea, I know about the Japan thing it as a country has like the most intense entrance process.

I have doubts I will be able to find work as it goes in another country, sense most of them would be some type of labor type work.

Again I don't have a degree as in a Bachelor degree, I do have a associate degree. I don't have the want to get a bachelor degree or anything more right now in life. I am around 40 years old as well! So, it just has me wondering. I may have waited to long to ...

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Japan can be tough. They do have a somewhat stringent process to get in and teach English there... China... not so much.

Seriously... there are plenty of people here that has only a BS degree. Some maybe not even that. The one that they look for is the TOEFL and there's another similar to the TOEFL - particularly in Japan.. I'll find the name of it... hang on.

If you're not into going back to get a BA or a BS you might consider something like the TOEFL. It's nowhere near as involved and no where near as expensive. It does give you an opportunity to teach many places.

I'd say you're never too old. But it's going to depend on what your require in life and what you're goals are.

6. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

From what I know:

For a foreigner to legally work in Japan or South Korea you must have at least a Bachelors degree. In China this is being reviewed (but not needed yet). In Thailand not the case. I would expect Vietnam, Philippines, Laos etc. to have similar laws as Thailand in this respect.
    (I'll not comment on Hong Kong, because their attitude to Britain is different from everywhere else.)

As for TEFL qualifications. The most commonly accepted is a Cambridge or Trinity Certificate. They usually take 4 to 6 weeks full time to get, but they're quite pricey. 2000 US dollars?

There are shorter courses and basically, the less reputable the school, the fewer qualifications they care about. Many will include a room to stay in and free (very basic) meals.

However, these are not the only jos available. They're simply the first ones that are suggested to native English speakers, because having English as a first language can be seen as the most important qualification.
    Are you working now? There may be a way to use any experience you have.

(Oh, another reason TEFL jobs are popular is because most teachers are foreign so you get a sense of community and your employer should know all about visas etc.)

7. nready

I read a few of those jobs it does sound like what they want in China is English speaking. It kinda interesting makes me think. TEFL ok.

8. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

TOEIC.

9. nready

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ahhh right you are. That's the one I was thinking of that is very popular for foreigners teaching in English in Japan. :)

11. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

12. nready

13. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

????????????

14. nready

It is a money thing! I make like owe $7 an hour! It is hard for me to keep a job and get one that pays enough as well.

It still at this point seems very slim possibility that I could go to another country out side of this content.

Along with that I have only moderate writing skills even in English!

It just sounds like a ideal wish for me.

I am still confused on how I could save enough to do it.

15. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Do you have a college degree?

16. nready

Associates in the Applied Science of Electronics so yea! Not that it counts for much here in Oklahoma. This is the wrong place for that degree, and it seems like the mid west in no way has any good jobs in that field.

Yes I know I need to have a Bachelors Degree in a real field of study not Electronics.

17. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Well, work on that goal first and then you will have more options.

18. nready

You mean the job thing right, or the degree.

19. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Degree...

20. nready

It would take another 6 years just to get a bachelor degree. I have dept from school that is in the 48000 dollars range, I have not payed on for over two year in default and have credit cards totaling around 20000 dollars dept bad credit not payed on as well. I have little or no chance of getting money or any form of loan. I don't see how I could do it, get a degree. It just seems like I never had a good plan that I could follow through on. I think as a matter fact I am not very good at following through on any plan I make. I would go so far as to say I am poor at planning things.