Developing hand speed/accuracy without a speed bag?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by AAAhmed46, Dec 28, 2005.

1. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Anything i can do to increase hand speed and accuracy without using a speed bag?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You can many different things.

1) take up boxing at a good boxing gym

2) use a floor-to-ceiling bag (also known as a double-ended bag)

3) work the focus mits with a partner often

4) push up plyometrics

3. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

whats plyometrics?

And i cant get any bags, right now. Maybe if i get my own place but thats not going to happen in a long time.

I CAN work the mits with a partner. Hopefully often.

4. slipthejab

Use the MAP search function... or use Google... there are literally dozens of plyometrics sites/articles out there... all better at explaining the details than me.

A good place too look for some exercises of this kind would be at www.crossfit.com

or www.rossboxing.com

You don't need to get a bag per se... just get access to a gym that has bags. Preferably a boxing coach as well. :D

5. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

In edmonton there is this place i once saw with a big sign that said "SPARRING CLUB"

Heard of it? If it is what the title says, a club where you get together and spar, would it have bags and what not where i could use?

6. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

You could also use medicine ball for increasing power.

Ross also advocates punching with light wts 2-3 lbs. Many people discard this hand wt exercise. IMO try it , not with very heavy wts and dont lock out your elbows

7. slipthejab

LOL!:D

AAAhmed,
    Bro.. I'm in China so I'm not even sure where Edmonton is.

Look up clubs or gyms your area... surely some of them will have a bag. What style do you train in? Does your gym have bags?

8. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

My gym does have bags, i hit the heavy bag, but i hardly touched the floor-to-ceiling bag that we got. We do heavy bag work, conditioning, katas, stand up grappling and clinching, and sometimes ground work and some pad work.

but rarely do i touch the floor to cieling bag.

Am i okay where i am? Or do i need extras.

Edmonton is in canada.

Have you ever heard of a 'sparring club?""

9. slipthejab

AAAhmed,

for Christ sakes you have gear at your gym. Did you not see my post that the floor to ceiling bag and a pad work with a partner are great ways to improve your hand speed?

As for the sparring club... LOL... I guess you didn't see my post that says I'm not anywhere even remotely close... errr... like China.:D

10. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

If i can find something on the net about it, ill post.

My teacher is great in the fact that i can just step out in the middle of a lesson to hit the bag in his dojo for my own personal development. THat said, i dont like missing stuff during a lesson.

p.s. Just wanna know what i can do at home.

And how is china? Drop by any kung-fu schools?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  11. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

Hey this is something I used to do. I used to light a candle and practice jabbing at it. The focus of this exersicise is to develop force from speed. It likes physics the faster an object the harder the impact. But when doing this the aim is not to put the flame out but move it as far as u can. Another tip for more hand speed it to shadow box and practice bring you hands back to you faster than you fired them off. The faster you can bring your hands back the faster you can fire the punch off again.

12. slipthejab

Seem's someone has been watching the National Geographic special on Shaolin Monks secret training methods. :D

13. GoldenTiger

no. It just a little something I got from my sensei before I had to stop tae kwon do because a little finacial problem. I thought that it would help so I carried the same exersice over to boxing. Helped me alot.

14. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Sounds cool!

15. slipthejab

16. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I agree.

:bang:

17. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

I would highly reccomend a double end bag. Out of all of the training bags/tools i used to make me faster, it was a speed bag and double end bag that did the trick, in a relativly short amount of time. At first use a large double end bag, such as what everlast or titleboxing sells. After getting used to that move to a smallerbag. The size helps develop accuracy. A great bag is actually a Jeet Kune Do Bag at www.iisports.com. Note: that bag isnt made nearly as well as the other bags out there(its foam), but it is still a great tool to train with and cheap. Speaking of cheap, that is something many bags are not. I found the best solution to my home gym was, buying a floor anchor for the bag, rather than drilling into the ground. I then mounted a 24" corner hanger(leaving enough room to work around the bag). You could just as easy work it into a celing beam also... Sorry for the poor grammer in this post, my cat was trying to learn how to type and kept smacking the keys.

18. GoldenTiger

yeah I got one from everlast.Its the best thing to get. I agree you should do your best to invest in one.

19. chof

chof Valued Member

ok, get in a horse stance, simulate throwing punches to the face, the solar plexus and the groin, with both hands then, switch it up the groin the face the solar plexus, keep doing this , trying to get faster and faster, each time

20. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Holy cow! You resurrected a two-year-old thread to give the wrong answer! Congrrrrratulations! [/drum roll].

Why do people think by punching fast you're going to get faster than your physical/genetic capability?! Just by 'trying'? 'Concentrating'? Sir, if you could achieve over your human potential by just trying, half the kids in the western world would be able to glide like Batman, climb walls like Spiderman, or grow long pink shiny hair like My Little Pony! :D

Let's add to this that horse stance has sweet FA to do with speed and we're really on a roll!

Slip gave the correct answers to help you to reach your currently attainable potential. Otherwise read Alwyn Cosgrove's article here on MAP (and everything on his site), and following on from that: SPRINT!.

(Yep, that's right, with your legs!)

Unfortunately, I don't think it takes long to reach your full speed potential.. and after that you're just doing all you can to prevent it decreasing as you get older.