Detached Retinas/Blindness - How Common in Contact Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Joseph5, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Joseph5

Joseph5 New Member

I just came from the eye doctor. I was in the process of getting medical clearance for a license to box as an amateur fighter. It turns out my vision is way below the required medical standard needed for a license [ tough pill to swallow]. He's telling me the worse your eye sight is the thinner your retina is, thereby making it easier for someone like myself to suffer a serious eye injury - I.E. Detached Retina/Blindness - from blows to the head. I started to think that perhaps his opinion is somewhat biased [ or overblown in my case ] , as the medical community is anyting but supportive of sports like Boxing. I was just wondering if anyone had any stories about fighters going blind, or are dealing with vision problems themselves, and how exactly has it impacted your training?

Thanks.

2. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Bad news, you must be gutted.

If you're going to get a second opinion, as its your eyesight you're talking about, go to another doctor for one not an internet forum, it's too important to risk.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

When retinas do become detached from severe blows to the head there have been cases of them being reattached through surgery.

Yikes. Obviously not the road you want to risk taking. As for how common it is... hmmm... good question. I don't doubt that there is information about this on the internet. I believe much of this kind of study/research had been done by a group of doctors out of the UK attempting to ban boxing. While I don't agree with banning boxing some of the info is good food for thought.

I am guessing (not something you want to try to base your eyesight on) that it was more common in the bouts of yesteryear. When the rules were different and fights went on next to forever and the opponent didn't have to go to his corner during the standing eight count or the count.

Boxing trainers have improved their skills in training and some of the 'machismo' of being able to soak up all that an opponent throws at you with your head has thankfully waned.

I will try to dig up some more info - I may have it somewhere in a PDF. Damn, 150 GB worth of fights to wade through - so it'll take me just a bit.

FWIW - I fight under Muay Thai rules and had several Boxing matches last year as well. I wear contact lenses for a very slight nearsightedness. I've fought both with the contacts in and with them out. About the same diff. really - If one gets knocked/blinked out I don't sweat it because the eye sight is not overall that bad. The rules about a fighters health are much more lax here in Asia... what?!? The guy can breathe... get 'em in there!! lol. :D
    I don't think the eye issue I have is the same as yours - though that is another good question.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I agree totally. Eyesight is sooo valuable. I'd even advise getting a third opinion. Especially if the second opinion is favourable.

5. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Take it from me buddy don't screw with your vision, An injury as a child left me partialy sighted in my right eye I had always wanted to box having done amature training for years it is very hard to come to terms with but life dosn't have to stop why not take up something like Light continuous kickboxing, freestyle karate, or Ju-Jitsu all will allow for mixing it up but will be a little safer and you don't need to get a license to fight.

Getting a second opinion is more than likely going to bring back the same results in this matter, but keep your chin up buddy I do feel for you.

6. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

I've had partial detachments and retinal tearing.... it's not pleasant at all (picture five nurses strapping you down and sticking a hypodermic needle into your eye to anaesthetize it).
    Head trauma is a major factor in retinal problems. I wouldn't risk it if I were you--but do get a second opinion.

7. Now, how common is it in people with normal sight?

8. speedbag

speedbag Valued Member

Eye issues and Boxing or Martial ARts.

The effects of Boxing/MA on the Eyes and Vision has been under investion for a long time. Both by Literature review and specific investigation. Here are some links on PubMed.

(* some of this is "doctor speak" with words uncommon to the rest of us.... here Medical Dictionary
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Retinal injury and detachment in boxers

Ocular Complications of Boxing * CONCLUSIONS: Boxing does not result in a higher prevalence of severe ocular lesions than in the general population

Boxing and the eyes: morphological aspects of the ocular system in boxers

Ocular findings in asymptomatic amateur boxers

Ophthalmological findings in elite amateur Turkish boxers

The ocular complications of boxing

Examination of the visual system in boxers

Recurrent retinal detachment more than 1 year after reattachment

Contact lenses and Athletes

Previous post on MAP about Contact Lenses

Contacts vs Glasses from and Aikido forum.

hope some of this helps

Speed Bag
    Put a little Rhythm in your Workout

9. slipthejab

Nice one.

Thanks for taking the time... really appreciated.

edit: Incredible link for the speedbag demonstration vids! :D

10. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

FWIW, I do have "normal" eyesight..

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Well, one does not have to compete to train and become a good martial artist. Competing is over-rated. Best to go to school and/or start a lucrative healthy carreer while training.

12. slipthejab

Something most often said by people who have never spent any serious amount of time competing.

13. 47MartialMan

No, something said by a person whom thinks that one doesnt have to compete in order to become a trained martial artist.

Now, the competition I speak of is matched/ring oriented.

Not defense, casual/control sparring.

Futhermore, why risk such injury for such reason other than ego, something to prove, and such is short-lasted?

14. slipthejab

If you want to start a debate on whether or not competing is ego oriented or how one need not 'compete' to become a 'trained' martial artist then I suggest you start a new thread instead of derail this one.

The original poster was looking for specific info. on detached retinas etc. not a diatribe why you think competing is ego based etc. etc. etc.

15. 47MartialMan

OK, but the other thing about it is once you acquire a injury, to realize other possibilities to continue martial arts.

16. slipthejab

lol.

And once you cross the street and get hit by a bus you realize the possibilities for continuing to cross the street.

17. 47MartialMan

Hmmmn, once you get hit by the bus, it is too late for possibilites.

Better to realize you cant take the path that was once desired and cross at a sfety zone-like a traffic light. Dont forget to look also.

18. slipthejab

z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z hunh... what another off topic post/thread derailment by 47MartialMan?!

oh that... z-z-z-z-z-z--zzz

19. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Giving a medical second opinion over the internet to someone who has already seen a professional is a blindingly ridiculous thing to do, in every sense of the word.

Pointing out that it's not worth it for the sake of a sport, is sensible and relevant.

20. 47MartialMan

Yes, added to what I had tried to point out.
    That to beleive that martial arts is soley about competition, and from a injury, that one can no longer practice, is not so.
    Perhaps the originator of the thread was venting a mood of disgust, which was my interpretation. To shed light, all is not lost.