Defense against side headlock

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Smitfire, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

3 Options I use depending on the person and situation

1) Old fashioned back suplex (Dan Severn style) irrespective of weight its pretty much a grip breaker if not life ender (if done on concreate and hard so not for the feint hearted).

2) If its more training orientated I use the Royce Gracie moving my body side on so head is for a second at an odd angle and then sinking to the floor rolling them across me to secure mount (most people let go of the grip enough during the suprise of the fall)

3) Mark Hattmaker (I think is his name) who does this, he pushes the knee nearest the head from behind directly angular to the ground and forward causing them to put a hand down (if they dont) pick the same side as you foot up and they then release as there propelled forward.

There are others but these work best for me.

On the street you can also bite em which works really really well or do a groin ripper!

2. Sonshu

You not thought this through as you reach round and grab the groin. If your on the right side of them use your right arm and reach around the legs to the groin.

No trapping there and problem solved.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've seen both ways, personally I see two major problems with this option IF you assume the headlock looks something like this:

[​IMG]

1) Your opponent will see it coming and has his left arm in position to easily knock your hand away (That is if he isn't grinning at the camera)

2) You may well strugle to reach the groin a bit, not saying you can't do it but you will be reaching for it, this isn't the case for some headlocks anyway though

For me the attack to the groin doesn't have much mileage either way round, I've tried them both with a bit of resistance and they just don't happen for me, maybe you have something a bit different in mind though or maybe your just different. Still I wouldn't recommend it as a technique.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  4. Sonshu

I meant to say I would use them as a last resort but they do work and have done in the odd scuffle outside local night club.

1) If he is using a hand to check mine groin grab then he only has one hand to hold me in the lock so its provoked the opportunity I need and still done its job.

2) Failing to reach it I can take a paintful skin grab on his thigh or pinch him that tends to release it anyhow.

Plenty of options but the technqiues are more my aim than just the grabs

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i have had a fair amount of success with #2 also

6. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

Just Punch him in the groin.

7. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

1- Turn my head toward his body so that I give my neck a bit of space.
    2- Hit him with my right hand in the groin.
    3- Take my left hand from behing him go over his head and reach his nose.
    4- Lift his nose and keep my left elbow close to his back so he cannot move and then I can "stand him up."
    5- 180 degree left turn for the throw/drop (Basically I just take my left leg away from him and far away enough so that the attacker will not fall on it).
    6- Punch, Kick, Stomp, whatever I feel like doing.
    7- Look around for his friends.

All this takes a total of a second or 2 to do. That's how I was taught to do it in a self defense situation. But during sparring or a MMA setting I might just pick him up by his hips/legs and do a side suplex ala Arn Anderson (I'm usually the bigger person).